La Vuelta 2023: Stage 7:- Utiel to Oliva, 200.8km ***Spoilers***

Stage 7:- Utiel to Oliva, 200.8km

September 1
Start Time: 11-50BST.

The second longest stage of the Vuelta a España, stage 7, is 200.8km which is expected to offer a day for the sprinters. The 200.8 race runs from Utiel to Oliva, a coastal place south of Valencia city.The peloton will descend out of Utiel and continue along an undulating, but mainly downhill, route for the first half of the route.
At the halfway point, the roads become completely flat for the final 100km.
(Roglic should like the look of this Ski ramp.)

The route traverses the Valencia province from west to east. Following the start in Utiel – famous for its Utiel-Requena wine appellation. Finishing venue Oliva is situated 80 kilometres outh of Valencia on the Mediterranean coast. The route between Utiel and Olivia features 1,800 metres of climbing and 1,100 metres of descending.

Final Kms.

After moving through Spain’s third-largest city the route is as flat as can be.

What to Expect.

While racing down the coast the sprinters teams have all the time in the world to reel in the breakaway and arrange a bunch sprint.
However, there no real sprinters teams in La Vuelta, so effectually this could easily turn into a stage for the breakaway.

Utiel

Utiel One stage departure back in 2003
11,478 inhabitants.

Utiel is a municipality in the comarca of Plana de Utiel in the Valencian Community, Spain. With its marked winemaking culture, this Valencian municipality hides a network of secret underground passageways that are home to over 200 wine cellars - now one of its many tourist attractions. This winemaking culture falls under the Utiel-Requena Designation of Origin, marked by the climate conditions of the plateau on which it sits.

Utiel-Requena Wine.

There are 40,000 hectares of vineyards in the area covered by the Utiel-Requena Designation of Origin. Several varieties of grape are used in the production of its wines, and particularly the Bobal grape, a native variety which is the most common. In fact this is practically the only area in the world where it is grown, and the result is a distinctive wine of first-rate quality and with a clearly defined character and personality. Most of the wines produced in Utiel-Requena are red, with a dark cherry colour and fruity aromas. The rosés are also delicious, as are the whites, which have intense fruity aromas and a yellow colour, with gold and straw tones. Cava, which is becoming more and more important locally, is another of the star products of this area.

The Utiel-Requena is located in a privileged enclave, the cuisine consists of succulent dishes prepared with olive oil and other natural products of these dry lands, and based on recipes traditional, they always find the perfect combination with Utiel-Requena wines.
The gastronomic offer is very rich and varied, there are many dishes made with pork as the pot, the soup, buns or cakes with meats and sardines, the famous sausages and ham in this region.

Oliva

Unprecedented La Vuelta finish
25,119 inhabitants.

Oliva is a municipality in the comarca of La Safor in the Valencian Community, Spain. To its east lie 10 kilometres of coastline and beaches fronting the Mediterranean Sea, and eight kilometres to the north is Gandia. The Passeig runs through the centre of the town, and features a market each Friday.

Paella La Safor

OK, another Paella, but this one is a bit different, as besides chicken, it includes rabbit, meatballs, various beans, artichokes and.........snails.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited August 2023
    I think Valencia may be the best city I've visited in Europe. Everything just seems right. Apart from the Aquarium - that needs to go.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Cofidis joining Burgos in today's soft break.
  • 125kms of pan flat nothingness, ridden into a headwind.
    Oh goodie.

Kirby is on and already talking about vectoring.

Geraint Thomas has……you guessed it, crashed.
  • Only potential point of interest (beyond Geraint Thomas' travails):

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    Baking slog ......g looks utterly depressed
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Looks injured on the knee
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,157
    Carlton actually shuts up to allow Remco to tell us all that one of his team mates is a w@nker :lol:
  • Pross
    Kelly voicing my own thoughts on the assertion that the trees are starting to get blown around.
  • Why is he still waffling on?
    Where is Dan Lloyd?
    Why am I watching this coat of paint dry?
  • Pross

Why is he still waffling on?
    Where is Dan Lloyd?
    Why am I watching this coat of paint dry?

That last 5 minutes of his stint was excruciating. When we're into discussing which fast food restaurant to get lunch from there's definitely not enough action. Lloyd is teasing with the suggestion of possible crosswinds but it's just going to be a headwind to make the stage drag on even longer.
  • Only potential point of interest (beyond Geraint Thomas' travails):

They moved it.
  • This is going to finish after 5pm.
    Still 26kms to go and they are tootling along at about 30kph.
  • Pross
    I've got it on the laptop monitor whilst working on the other screen with th commentary droning on in the background. I was partially watching with around 75km to go then go I glanced over assuming it was coming towards the end only to see over 30km remaining. I can't recall watching a race that has dragged so much.
  • One of those days, isn't it? Tomorrow looks good.
  • Pross
    What the hell is he spouting on about now? Tries to make a pun about a riders name when reading the ridiculous list of 'contenders' and realises he doesn't have an ending for it, its painful!
  • mididoctors
    Crash 10 k to go ....including kuss
  • Organisers once again inviting chaos by sending riders down a dead straight, wide open road...
  • Pross
    Jayco rider seemed to feel much like us and couldn't cope with it any longer.
  • Organisers once again inviting chaos by sending riders down a dead straight, wide open road...

Beat me to it.
    Kirby has palpitations by now I suspect.
    The Dutch lads didn’t even raise their voices.
  • mididoctors
    Arensman down 2nd crash
  • Carnage.
  • Pross
    Bigge crash right at the front taking down a large part of the right hand side. Arensman looks worst off.
  • The Groves train derailed itself
  • Pross
    Looks really nasty for Arensman, seems to have gone down face first and medics desperate to get to him. Tacky TV producer deciding we all want to see lots of coverage.
  • Pross
    I'm getting worried, apparently there's a shilly shally coming up.
  • Hope he's ok, his race is over, let's not see any more
  • Not a fucking clue
  • Vuelta coverage at its finest!
    Wtf won that?
    Soupe?
  • Pross
    The TV director needs to be sacked. The coverage of the finish was shocking as was dwelling on Arensman, I thougt that was something that had stopped in recent years.

Ineos are having a mare and must be regretting turning up, Ganna as a bunch sprinter seems to be their main card.
  • Pross
    edited September 2023
    I knew there was going to be some pathetic attempt at a soup joke coming, it was worse than I expected.

Orla's was a much better attempt.