La Vuelta 2023: Stage 5:- Morella to Burriana, 186.2km ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
edited August 2023 in Pro race
Stage 5:- Morella to Burriana, 186.2km

August 30
Start Time: 11-50BST.

The fifth stage of the Vuelta a España offers the sprinters another "possible" shot at a stage win in Burriana, despite the elevation gain is almost 2,400 metres. However, will anyone fancy pulling the bunch over such lumpy terrain? The 186.2km race begins in Morella, and the peloton will have to go over climbs at Ares del Maestra, Culla, before heading down into the valley over smaller climbs through Les Useres, L'Alcaora and Onda.
There is only one categorised ascent throughout the stage at Collado de la Ibola that peaks at the 132.5km mark.

Morella is a beautiful historic hilltop town in Castellón, a northern province of the Valencia region. It’s situated at almost 1,000 metres above sea level. The route traverses the remote Maestrazgo region. Flat sections are hard to find and the race heads directly South. Burriana is in eastern Spain, in the province of Castellón, which is the direction the route follows for approximately the final 30 Kms.

The Climb.

The Ibola climb is crested with over 50 kilometres remaining.

Final Kms.

The last 14 kilometres are played out on the flat, with the only real obstacle being the usual, and in this instant, abundant street furniture.

What to Expect.

After what has happened so far, I would say another calamity towards the end of the stage. While similar in profile to today's stage, it's significantly harder. So, if Alpecin don't fancy it, this stage is a golden opportunity for attacking riders to get into, what should be, a successful breakaway.

Morella

Unprecedented departure
2,406 inhabitants.

Morella (Valencian is an ancient walled city located on a hill-top in the province of Castellón, Valencian Community, Spain. The town is the capital and administrative centre of the comarca of Els Ports, in the historic Maestrat (Maestrazgo) region.
In a sea of mountains, an impressive castle stands out, crowning the hill that overlooks Morella – its strategic position serving many different civilisations. Its centenary walls, doorways and towers all possess a captivating beauty that has led Morella to become a part of The Most Beautiful Villages of Spain association.
Every six years the citizens celebrate the Sexenni, a commemoration of the town's recovery from the plague in the seventeenth century. Tourism now plays an important part in the local economy, along with agriculture.

Artizan food in Morella

The walled hilltop town of Morella is a mecca for foodies. Every other shop seems to be selling dried sausages, pastries or local cheese. such as nuts soaked in golden honey, artisan chorizo sausages and cheese studded with truffles that are found in the area.

Burriana

Burriana has hosted 2 La Vuelta finish-lines
34,903 inhabitants.

Burriana is a municipality in eastern Spain, in the province of Castellón, part of the Valencian Community. Its population exceeds 34,000.
The town is located by the Mediterranean Sea, at the lowest region of the Plana Baixa, surrounded by orange tree fields watered by the Millars River.
Burriana will host a La Vuelta finish-line 33 years after hosting a team time trial finish-line back in 1990. Located a few kilometres from Castellón de la Plana, this locality’s most characteristic elements are oranges, its cultivation being its main economic driver.

The oranges of Castellón

The coastal plain of Castellón has a warm, temperate climate that’s ideal for growing oranges and if you’d eaten one in Europe in the 1920s and 30s, chances are it would have come from Castellón. The farmers of this region grew rich on their monopoly of the orange production, until refrigeration and improved transport enabled oranges from other parts of the world to undercut the orange prices and production declined.

Olla de la Plana

Olla de la Plana, a staple up and down the province. The recipe for olla de la Plana calls for white beans, cabbage, potatoes, onions, turnips, green beans, swiss chard, saffron and sweet paprika. Every household has their own specific way of cooking the dish, but what they all agree on is that it needs to be cooked for hours over a low heat and prepared with lots of love.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    edited August 2023
    Goossens, Guerreiro and Coquard all DNS.
    Another piece of medical news that seems to have passed up by: Wilco Kelderman was also injured in that crash and had to go to hospital for treatment. He finished more than three minutes down and lost his place at the top of the general classification.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    That's likely to cause Kirby to have kittens.
  • Eddie Dunbar don’t need no stinking roundabouts.
    He’s already crashed again.

A break of exactly one rider atm. Has about a minute
  • He's taken out over 4 minutes in less than 10 miles (according to PCS). Setting himself up for a long day out. #prayforeric
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382

Eddie Dunbar don’t need no stinking roundabouts.
    He’s already crashed again.

A break of exactly one rider atm. Has about a minute

Dunbar has abandoned the race per the team's Twitter
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    edited August 2023
    Any sign of peeled banana skins on the course, or other obstacles, threatening to continue the trend of something going wrong every stage? :D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    What's up with Caja Rural today? Didn't fancy it?
  • Kirby arrives and immediately trolls everybody with. “Hopefully there won’t be any crashes today…”
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Jayco-Alula having a nightmare day, Zana has now abandoned due to stomach issues.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    Pretty climb, they've stolen the Lacets.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    Nice scenery in parts
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Jeez
    Forget the race, just try and outdo each other with roundabout numbers.
  • mididoctors
    6 secs for that?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Crash at 3k ?
  • Just outside the 3km mark.
  • In fairness that was an excellent road to finish on.
  • mididoctors
    Well I never ganna?
  • Ganna second
  • kingstongraham
    Ganna should do more of that in this race.

Groves takes the win.
  • mididoctors
    No groves
  • Groves getting armchair lead outs.
    Not many of the sprinters left to contest
  • kingstongraham

Groves getting armchair lead outs.

I think they were there, except Menten and Coquard, but they're not very good.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    Robbie (I think it was) suggested Ganna as an outside bet yesterday. He subsequently ended up towing the bunch for several km into the 'safety' of the 3km banner which felt stupid as he looks like Ineos' best bet to get something out of the race.
  • Groves getting armchair lead outs.

Hofsetter and Molano were also absent.
    Just noticed that Romain Bardet lost 5 and a half minutes. Must have been involved in the crash.
    Hope he’s ok to continue.
  • kingstongraham
    True, once molano is missing, a weak field becomes considerably weaker.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235

Groves getting armchair lead outs.

Hofsetter and Molano were also absent.
    Just noticed that Romain Bardet lost 5 and a half minutes. Must have been involved in the crash.
    Hope he’s ok to continue.
    According to Bardet's Strava, he had a blowout in the final 5 kms after hitting a hole in the road at 70kph. The accompanying picture suggests that he didn't fall.