La Vuelta 2023: Stage 1: Barcelona to Barcelona - 14.8km, Team time trial ***Spoilers***

Comments

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,946
    It's one thing dealing with rain. Nothing organisers can do about it. They could however of made sure everyone finishes in ruddy daylight
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,892
    Jumbo lose 10 secs to ineos
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,943
    JimD666 said:

It's one thing dealing with rain. Nothing organisers can do about it. They could however of made sure everyone finishes in ruddy daylight

The Vuelta likes an evening TTT.
    They do have street lights in Barcelona!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Pross said:

Sounds like a farce (I’m watching the athletics which had its own farce in the relay as always).

I was listening to the football.

"We. Are. Top of the league, We are top the league"
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,289
    Is it really as dark as it looks?
  • JimD666

JimD666 said:

The Vuelta likes an evening TTT.
    They do have street lights in Barcelona!
    Dry and dark (gloomy would probably be a better description) is one thing. Wet and dark is a whole different kettle of fish
  • mididoctors

TV exaggerated
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    It is bad light though
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,289

TV exaggerated
    In the tennis it makes it look lighter than it really is.
  • RichN95.
    Movistar have an advantage, being familiar with the gloomy, rainy Spanish summertime
  • mididoctors

TV exaggerated
    In the tennis it makes it look lighter than it really is.
    Lighting strUght into camera lowers the exposure no ?
  • mididoctors
    So dsm .... I nearly picked them as well ..should have gone with my gut instinct 😉
  • mididoctors
    Remco likes a moan
  • RichN95.
    Evenepoel isn't happy. I think he'll cheer up when he sees the other times.
  • JimD666
    Scratch my complaints. Remco is throwing his teddies out the cot. Makes it worthwhile 🤣
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,123

Remco likes a moan

With some justification. It was ridiculous starting it this late. (Which was the subject of his ire).
  • JimD666
    Not great for INEOS. De Plus dnf'd after his crash.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,826
    edited August 2023
    andyp said:

Remco likes a moan

With some justification. It was ridiculous starting it this late. (Which was the subject of his ire).
    It wasn't ridiculous at all, on a normal August day in Barcelona. It's just today was an unusual exception. Sunset was just after the race finished..........not that we could tell.

Anyhow, I'd be more worried if Remco wasn't moaning.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Now Jayco have a proper reason to moan.

• andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,133
    JimD666 said:

Scratch my complaints. Remco is throwing his teddies out the cot. Makes it worthwhile 🤣

Honestly he's not....He's actually talked sense.....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,709
    edited August 2023
    Race organiser boss was probably grabbing his crotch and kissing riders on the mouth, full Spanish stylee 😉, rather than going oh yeah weather problems a-comin' we need to get organised here.
  • andyp

andyp said:

Remco likes a moan

It wasn't ridiculous at all, on a normal August day in Barcelona. It's just today was an unusual exception. Sunset was just after the race finished..........not that we could tell.

Except it wasn't sunny, it was almost pitch black for the final teams. Conditions were dangerous and I think the riders have every right to be upset.

Any sensible organisation would've had a contingency plan in place for bad weather, but this is the Vuelta organisation so it comes as no surprise.
  • JimD666 said:

Not great for INEOS. De Plus dnf'd after his crash.

That’s a huge blow.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,826
    edited August 2023
    andyp said:

andyp said:

Remco likes a moan

Except it wasn't sunny, it was almost pitch black for the final teams. Conditions were dangerous and I think the riders have every right to be upset.

Any sensible organisation would've had a contingency plan in place for bad weather, but this is the Vuelta organisation so it comes as no surprise.
    Ok. And what is that contingency plan?
    You can’t just reschedule road closures in a major city at the drop of a hat.
    Policing arrangements, media coverage etc etc

It’s been 40C in Barcelona up until today.
    So if conventional wisdom says have it earlier, there’s an equally big weather problem.
  • andyp

andyp said:

andyp said:

Remco likes a moan

Ok. And what is that contingency plan?
    You can’t just reschedule road closures in a major city at the drop of a hat.
    Policing arrangements, media coverage etc etc

It’s been 40C in Barcelona up until today.
    So if conventional wisdom says have it earlier, there’s an equally big weather problem.
    If the Giro Donne organisers can ensure rider safety is paramount, then so can the Vuelta organisers.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,641
    andyp said:
    As I mentioned I didn’t watch the race but I suspect that photo has had some post-production editing done for artistic effect.
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 465
    Gutted that DePlus is out already.