Fend Off mudguards .....or others

2»

Comments

• bonk_king
    bonk_king Posts: 277
    I did a short loop of about 30km this morning. My newly fitted Raceblade Pro xl's didn't budge, or rattle, I almost forgot I had them on. Though of course a short trial run as opposed to several thousand km's over the season are two different kettles of fish, time will tell.

One thing I did find rather unnerving though, regarding the front mudguard, is that even before I fitted it the clearance from front of toe to tyre isn't a great deal. Now the mudguard is fitted there isn't any clearance at all!!!

Now I have this front mudguard on, pedalling going around a tight corner could cause issues. I'm going to have to be extremely wary. Is this something anyone else has encountered with the front guard?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    i.bhamra said:

webboo said:

I have some of these or something similar. As well as the rubber fastener, on mine you can add tie wraps as well. However despite this they flap, wobble and change position, more the front than the rear.
    So on that note can any one recommend a mudguard for a close clearance frame with no eyelets on the frame. The current version of Crudguards don’t fit. Anyone used the type where you fix a bracket under the forks then clip the guards on to the bracket.

SKS RaceBlade Long have been the best solution I found for close clearance frames without mounting eyelets (I used them on a Kinesis Aithein with 25 mm tyres, this was the early version before they increased frame clearance, rim brake with centre-mounting calipers). Brackets attach behind the calipers and stays held in place by the QR skewers. They stayed in place and didn't need much adjusting. A little bit of insulating tape between the mudguard and where the stay attaches cured a mildly annoying rattle. You could probably use a self tapping screw instead if if you wanted as the guard and stay bracket are plastic.

Calipers still get a bit mucky due to the cut-outs in the guards but other than that they keep most of the muck away from rider and bike. You could probably bodge the cut out with a bit of old inner tube or something but it wasn't a big enough deal for me to try.
    Cheers for that.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 632
    bonk_king said:

I did a short loop of about 30km this morning. My newly fitted Raceblade Pro xl's didn't budge, or rattle, I almost forgot I had them on. Though of course a short trial run as opposed to several thousand km's over the season are two different kettles of fish, time will tell.

One thing I did find rather unnerving though, regarding the front mudguard, is that even before I fitted it the clearance from front of toe to tyre isn't a great deal. Now the mudguard is fitted there isn't any clearance at all!!!

Now I have this front mudguard on, pedalling going around a tight corner could cause issues. I'm going to have to be extremely wary. Is this something anyone else has encountered with the front guard?

I have toe overlap on my Px Hurricane with mudguards and, to be honest, I don't notice it while cycling on roads. The front wheel never turns that far.
    The only time it is an issue is when I am negotiating my way round the gates onto a bit of path (that I shouldn't be cycling on 😔) near my home.