Cannot get chain into lowest 3 cogs on cassette

cmhill79
cmhill79 Posts: 139
Hi All,

I was out on the bike yesterday and had an issue with my rear shifter in that I can’t get the chain into the bottom three cogs on the rear cassette. The shifter itself seems to be working fine and I am not having any issues moving through the other gears.

Any suggestions? I’m running Ultegra 8000

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,970
    If it was fine before then I'd be looking at the cable.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Most likely the cable cannot release tension, either because it's too dirty, or it's beginning to fray.

(I assume you haven't fallen, and that your rear derraillleur isn't bent.)

• Check the cable inside the shifter, mine did exactly this and cable was badly frayed as it curves around inside.
  • cmhill79
    cmhill79 Posts: 139
    Thanks for all the advice. Will take to LBS tomorrow.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    By "lowest" and "bottom" we're assuming that you mean the smallest three cogs (where cable tension would stop the derailleur moving outward). If you undo the cable clamp at the mech see if it then moves and drops the chain onto the small sprocket. If it does the cable is your problem. If it doesn't then the issue lies with the mech.

If you really mean lowest gears (largest logs) then it's either too much cable tension, limit screws or bent hanger/mech.
  • As said above likly a frayed cable inside the shifter stopping it rotating round to all gears
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    As many suggest above it's probably a frayed cable. I had the exact same problem this week, in the weeks leading up to it I adjusted the cable tension a couple of times to get good shifts. Eventually it got to a point where this didn't help. Pulled back the hood and removed the plastic cover on the inside to inspect the cable and it was indeed badly frayed and snagging so needed replacing. If I'd left it much longer the cable would have snapped in the shifter body which could make replacing it much trickier.