Insurance - Cars and Home

Why so expensive this year? Can't find decent prices online at all. All comparison sites are for single car cover only. I want multicar policies. GoMeerkatYorself etc come back with unbelievable prices but when you go onto the website and actually tailor it to a decent cover it more than doubles in price e.g. NCD protection and Legal Cover even though you added it on the comparison site etc.
Rubbish.
Any good pointers? Tried Aviva and Direct Line so far. Seems like my Admiral Policy isn't so bad after all?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,611
    A natural consequence of burglary effectively being decriminalised innit...

(Though my m'bike insurance has halved this year 😎)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,080
    I think insurance has gone up massively this year, the car and parts shortage had a knock on effect on the cost of repairs and the number of accidents after lockdown went up which meant insurance costs did too.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,970
    I thought the same earlier this year when it came to renewal time and was about to tell my current insurer to shove it, but after shopping around they were still competitive compared to others. Market has moved, though I'm still paying less than when I lived in the 'burbs.

Use Ford Insure for the wife's and daughters car and Aviva for mine, but I guess it'll depend on your own circumstances.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,622
    Yeah, it all seems to be going the same way. Spent way too much time on this now. Armed with some quotes I got back to my existing Admiral insurers and they tweaked what they could and knocked £25 off mine, £30 off the wife's and £20 off the house (Multi cover policy) but that was it. Having been on the phone (eventually) to other places some couldn't even match this, especially with protected NCB, Legal cover and a decent payout if dead etc.
    I'll just suck up this extra cost and see what horrors next year brings!

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 28,575
    Same here. Shopped around but anything cheaper was for less cover/more exclusions.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,036
    Renewed my car insurance in May. Maybe got a good deal last year as a new customer but this time was +50%, but still marginally less than the competition. I always search for alternatives, never auto renew.

I blame Brexshit.
  • photonic69
    I was on the house phone for so long the batteries actually ran out!!!

Even renewing the AA cover wasn't as good this year as last. About a £25 increase on last year's discounted rate. I always ring them a haggle. Been the same for the last 31 years!

• bikes_and_dogs
    bikes_and_dogs Posts: 130
    edited August 2023
    When filling out the form asking for your circumstances, try altering anything that is true. Where is your car parked? What excess you would like? What is your job? Estimated mileage etc. - some companies only insure folk that fit their own preference.
    You may get a better deal if you fit their preferred profile.
    Asking for a high excess can imply that you are desperate. Multi cover panders to convenience, separate policies are often better. You might think that having a tracker based policy rewards safe drivers, but it's not always true.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,914

Even renewing the AA cover wasn't as good this year as last. About a £25 increase on last year's discounted rate. I always ring them a haggle. Been the same for the last 31 years!

How much did you pay? They quoted me £325 for 4 of us (wife, son, daughter and me) . On phoning they knocked it straight down to £220 which I took - other companies I'd never heard of were doing it cheaper but I've mostly had pretty good experiences with the AA...well other than in 1987 waiting 12 hours in Kings Lynn for them to pick up my girlfriend's vespa.

Re insurance 21 year old daughter paid more this year than last when you'd think at that age a year older and a years no claim would still be cutting it.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • photonic69

How much did you pay? They quoted me £325 for 4 of us (wife, son, daughter and me) . On phoning they knocked it straight down to £220 which I took - other companies I'd never heard of were doing it cheaper but I've mostly had pretty good experiences with the AA...well other than in 1987 waiting 12 hours in Kings Lynn for them to pick up my girlfriend's vespa.

Re insurance 21 year old daughter paid more this year than last when you'd think at that age a year older and a years no claim would still be cutting it.

This is the cover I haggled for my wife and I in any car even those not owned by us. I might get it cheaper if we nominated specific cars but as our cars are old it might even go up!!!

£195.42 per year

Your cover includes:
    Roadside Assistance
    National Recovery
    At Home

Renewal letter was £331 I think.

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,914
    We don't have the at home in ours.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]