A

Sutton_Rider
Sutton_Rider Posts: 493
edited August 2023 in Workshop
On

Comments

• Just experiment, bike fits are ok as a general rule, but we don’t all fit into the same mold that so many bike fitters stick rigidly to. Narrowing the bars has had a massive impact on my comfort. Always been a 44cm. Dropped to 40, and a lot of neck/shoulder and some hand numbness has gone. Staying in one position on the bike for too long will always result in aches and pains for most people. Sometimes the opposite of what you think should occur when changing stem length saddle height etc will have a beneficial effect.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,970
    This may be a silly question but, do you ride with your arms bent or straight?
    The answer may be as simple as bending your arms.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Sutton_Rider
    Sutton_Rider Posts: 493
    edited August 2023
    I
  • katani
    katani Posts: 140

I ride with bent arms, and changing hand positions between the hoods, drops and tops. I'm not looking for full answers here. I know it may have knock on effects with other things. I just want to know should I move the saddle forward or back to lessen the pressure on the hands.

Back.
  • Hand issues are most commonly too long a reach.

IME moving saddle is not the most effective for reach, but try it and see.

You are better shortening stem length, perhaps a second option if saddle doesn't work.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,659

I ride with bent arms, and changing hand positions between the hoods, drops and tops. I'm not looking for full answers here. I know it may have knock on effects with other things. I just want to know should I move the saddle forward or back to lessen the pressure on the hands.

It's possibly not the pressure on your hands that's directly causing the numbness. Thumb and forefinger only suggests it might be nerve/disc compression in C6 and C7 (cervical) vertebra joints from extension of your neck to look up.

Saddle forward or back might make a difference, but not fix it. If your pedalling position is good with saddle as it is (height, setback etc) I'd leave it alone as as above, try stem length change (and rise) first.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Thanks for the reply Wheespinner. I'm already on a 60mm stem. Could try an 80mm. No room left to raise the bars unless I flip the stem.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

On longer rides I tend to get numb hands (Thumb and first finger) Now disregarding all other aspects and possible ramifications of the bike fit for the moment would it help the problem if I were to move the saddle forward or back?

Saddle should be set in relation to your position over the cranks/pedals - not to affect your reach. Bike fit 101.

Try a different stem - shorter or longer. Impossible to diagnose bike fit issues without seeing pics.
  • pblakeney

On longer rides I tend to get numb hands (Thumb and first finger) Now disregarding all other aspects and possible ramifications of the bike fit for the moment would it help the problem if I were to move the saddle forward or back?

Saddle should be set in relation to your position over the cranks/pedals - not to affect your reach. Bike fit 101.

Try a different stem - shorter or longer. Impossible to diagnose bike fit issues without seeing pics.
    Given he uses a 60mm stem I'd suggest either a longer stem or a smaller frame.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • imposter2.0
    pblakeney said:

Given he uses a 60mm stem I'd suggest either a longer stem or a smaller frame.
    Possibly. But without pics, we're all just guessing.
  • Thanks all, I have the answer now.
  • pblakeney

Thanks all, I have the answer now.

and?...
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • So what was it? Saddle nose angled down too much?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Why delete the thread title and your earlier posts? Some of us would like to know what sorted it in case we come across a similar issue, others may come on here asking for advice and learn from your experience. Deleting it just seems odd.
  • pblakeney
    I just assume the solution was embarrassing.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    We've all done something embarrassing at some point, no shame in that.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    pblakeney said:

What like don’t play with yourself before going for a ride.
  • pblakeney
    webboo said:

pblakeney said:

Is that a thing? Asking for a friend. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    pblakeney said:

webboo said:

pblakeney said:

Is that a thing? Asking for a friend. 😉
    Like you don’t know🤣😂🤣😂😉
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    OP had his drops upside-down
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • imposter2.0
    pblakeney said:

So he then doubled down on the embarrassment factor by deleting his posts as well...

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,668
    'A' or the Ali G 'Aiii' ??

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• As I couldn't get an answer to the question I asked on here I gave up thats why the post was deleted, I found what I was looking for on a GCN clip and confirmed by some photo copies I found on bike fit. So I hadn't done anything wrong, the bars were the right way round and as it turned out I didn't have to make any changes to the bike set up. The trouble is when your 70 you often forget things you knew years ago.
  • As I couldn't get an answer to the question I asked on here I gave up thats why the post was deleted

To be fair you asked specifically whether moving the saddle forwards or back would solve numb hands. Several people told you to try it and see as that is the only appropriate answer we could really give.

You asked us not to comment on any other areas of bike fit, so not really sure what else you expected?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    Imagine how 5hi7 forums would be if any time anything got solved, the content was removed.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pblakeney
    I found out the answer to the World, the Universe and everything but since I now know the answer there is no point in posting it. And no, it's not 42. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,918
    pblakeney said:

I found out the answer to the World, the Universe and everything but since I now know the answer there is no point in posting it. And no, it's not 42. 😉

Elon Musk?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197

pblakeney said:

Elon Musk?
    X marks the spot.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,668
    pblakeney said:

No it's 42x Pi / (22/7)

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150

pblakeney said:

No it's 42x Pi / (22/7)
    Amateur. Do 355/113.