Replacing shorts?

Hi there,

QQ. Do the pads in cycling shorts "go" after a certain amount of time. Might be related to the quality of what you buy, but I am finding lately that my summer shorts don't feel as comfortable as they once did?

They aren't noticeably fraying or stretching, or damaged in any other way. Maybe I am imagining it.

Thanks,

Ray K

Comments

• hpaul
    hpaul Posts: 114
    I think so. I've a perfectly good looking pair of pactimo club shorts. I've used for long 5 or 6 hour rides. Now, If I do more than 90 mins my a** is in bits. Assuming it's pad
  • My pair where budget brand stuff, so probably not surprising maybe.

• joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,080
    I had some DHB ones last ~7 years. I normally throw they no longer preserve my dignity
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,970
    I've got a pair of the original Rapha Team Sky Pro Team bibs that still function perfectly well. They are what, 10 or 11 years old? I have newer/cheaper shorts where the padding seems to have thinned out so as to only be good for an hour or so.
    It may well be as simple as you get what you pay for.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 1,951
    edited July 2023
    Can't say I have ever noticed a pad degrade but no doubts it could with enough wear. I usually find the actual lycra wears out and also fades with sun damage. When the material gets to that point I replace them.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I have 2 pairs of Rapha shorts that are about 3 years old and they are starting to feel uncomfortable on longer rides and I’m thinking the pads gone. However as I don’t have any newer shorts to compare them to I can’t say for certain.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,659
    Yeah they do wear out, lose their cushion, no different to running shoes. I’ve binned several pairs of otherwise ok knicks because the padding has lost its effectiveness.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,080
    Maybe I'm tight but I ran in the same pair of shoes for ~12 years without issues, I've only just replaced them.
  • So I bought a new pair of Rapha and they are an improvement, but it's not night and day either.

Thanks for all the help.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,970

So I bought a new pair of Rapha and they are an improvement, but it's not night and day either.

Thanks for all the help.

Model?
    Longevity is key. Most bibs are fine out of the packaging.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.