wednesday going faster miles an hour

'ning

not too windy, uv extreme later

longer ride, cafes, maybe lunch at yaiza on the zoom back, bask
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,082
    Stomach still not right, which is a worry with a busy work day and a 4 hr flight tomorrow. 😬

Meant to be running later and then a bbq at friends, a bit ambitious at the moment
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197
    @tlw1 are you tracking hard man Jonas Deichmann's latest adventure? He's just completed the New York to LA ride, and tomorrow starts on the return, running it...

Pleasant sunny start, looking good for the Wednesday garden volunteering sesh, no breeze so midge protection going on. Wee divvels so they are.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,082
    Thanks loon, will have a look
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,604
    edited July 2023
    Busy morning in the cave then had to nip out and get some rolls of turf for the garden. Today is my Friday though as I'm off to the Oval tomorrow to drink beer while hoping that there might be some cricket to watch, then day off Friday which will involve bikes :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232
    Rough as a bears ar5e today, mates called round last night and announced their engagement so as is the way, we got hammered!
    Early finish then off home to pack for the ~1000 mile drive to Italylandshire.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Are you going on holiday HD? I'm just a bit jealous.

Afternoon folks,
    Another day of fun and games in the orifice, wfh tomorrow for a change as I need to take the EPO to have an MRI on her bad hip. Slow wobble in to work this morning was unrelated to beers last night. Pesky front mech cable snapped less than a mile in. Couldn't use the higher gears at the back due to the mech rubbing, maxed out at about 20mph with legs spinning like crazy, couldn't hold that for long. So do I adjust the limit screws to have less rub on the way home, or leave them and just go back and change the cable? Thankfully I have a few spare cables at home.
    Good night last night, if a sad occasion. Chap I've known since school had died and there were drinks after the funeral. Saw a few guys I've not seen since leaving school, was good to catch up, just a shame about the circumstances.
  • beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,533
    I heard about the death of a lad I went to school with fairly recently. He died on Christmas Day last year. I hadn't seen him since I left school, but I think he was the first to go, so far as I know.

Last afternoon of sunny and warm before delayed flight back.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Stay there B³, weather's rubbish here. Although the beer sitting outside the Hand wasn't too bad.
    Downside of getting older and knowing lots of people is some of them keep shuffling off.
    GWS Oxo
    Better warn the lad to look out for cider drinking Northerners on Friday evening if you're at the Oval Stevo.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Afternoon
    Managed a bike ride without getting rained on. Unfortunately it was windy as f@ck so I’m now feeling rather battered. Need to hang my washed cycling kit out on the whirligig but I’m not sure I can be @rsed to get up out of the chair.
  • Stevo_666

Stay there B³, weather's rubbish here. Although the beer sitting outside the Hand wasn't too bad.
    Downside of getting older and knowing lots of people is some of them keep shuffling off.
    GWS Oxo
    Better warn the lad to look out for cider drinking Northerners on Friday evening if you're at the Oval Stevo.

Lucky for him I'm only there tomorrow.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197
    It is sobering when one's fellow cohort members pass away. I discovered some years back at a do to mark the 20th anniversary of graduation, so would have been 42ish, that of the class of 30, 3 had died in the intervening years. 1 was in a work accident, one picked up some nasty tropical disease and didn't make it through, and one from an unknown underlying medical condition. All depends on how the bottle spins.

Enjoyable day in the Gardens today, morning working away in the walled garden trimming back Nepeta beds, bumble bees aplenty, afternoon in the nursery, so plenty more freebie bonus plants came back with me.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128

I heard about the death of a lad I went to school with fairly recently. He died on Christmas Day last year. I hadn't seen him since I left school, but I think he was the first to go, so far as I know.

i had a near 3 hour delay last week on the flight here

used to be unusual to have a delay, but things have gone downhill since ba moved lgw to euroflyer, add on the atc issues at lgw itself plus eurocontrol etc., delay piles on top of delay

see if you can bag an outside table in the lounge, eat and drink until boarding
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,533
    sungod said:

used to be unusual to have a delay, but things have gone downhill since ba moved lgw to euroflyer, add on the atc issues at lgw itself plus eurocontrol etc., delay piles on top of delay

We have bagged a table and a couple of comfy chairs. They were already flagging the flight as late last night, which seemed prescient. Its taking off a couple of hours late, which unfortunately means a 1 a.m. arrival into LGW, so 2:30 a.m. home, with the faffing about and the luggage.
  • Stevo_666

sungod said:

We have bagged a table and a couple of comfy chairs. They were already flagging the flight as late last night, which seemed prescient. Its taking off a couple of hours late, which unfortunately means a 1 a.m. arrival into LGW, so 2:30 a.m. home, with the faffing about and the luggage.
    Just as well the weather is so great back in Blighty...