Vuelta 2023 Pre-race chat

No_Ta_Doctor
No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,234
Vingegaard has just announced he's riding as joint captain with Roglic.

I would love to be a fly on the wall when somebody tells Geraint Thomas....

There were rumours Pog might ride it as a consolation, Remco is going, this could be an epic matchup
Warning No formatter is installed for the format

Comments

• roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 482
    I’d love to see Roglic’s reaction to this news!

• r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,296
    Pog has said he's not riding I think
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,036
    GTCC podcast episode tonight might reveal how G feels about that.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,313

Vingegaard has just announced he's riding as joint captain with Roglic.

I would love to be a fly on the wall when somebody tells Geraint Thomas....

There were rumours Pog might ride it as a consolation, Remco is going, this could be an epic matchup

I think Thomas is old enough and wise enough to know that a) not everyone will be in Tour winning form at the Vuelta and b) a lot of GC riders start with ambition, but a subset actually achieve pre-race goals.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,394
    I am surprised that JV still feels fresh enough to tackle the Vuelta, given he’s already raced a pretty full schedule.
    It’s quite clear that Jumbo want the GT clean sweep.

I don’t think it will bother Geraint one bit as he’s never given the Vuelta his full attention.
    I doubt that Roglic will be very pleased.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,379
    They should all ride for Kuss.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,225
    People talk about legacies in sport, and Froome's is probably showing that doing the Vuelta after a successful Tour is possible. Only Roglic has actually followed this, but now Vingegaard is. Jumbo copying Sky again.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,530
    Vingergaard is the first to do it out of choice though. Roglic generally does it to salvage his season after failing at the tour.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,225
    gsk82 said:

Vingergaard is the first to do it out of choice though. Roglic generally does it to salvage his season after failing at the tour.

I would argue that coming second in 2020 was a disappointment rather than a failure. He'd ridden a strong race from start to finish.
    Twitter: @RichN95