Warm Showers

heavymental
heavymental Posts: 2,079
edited July 2023 in Tour & expedition
I did a search of the forum but couldn't find anything relating to the Warm Showers website/app which was surprising!

I joined when I was away in Brittany the last couple of weeks. I sent 7 or 8 messages and only got one reply (they weren't able to host us). Obviously it wasn't useful for our trip and I wouldn't be confident about getting a host in future unless I messaged in good time beforehand. Is warm showers still a thing!? I had to pay a $30 subscription which I understand is new. I have been on Couchsurfing for years and hosted quite a few people but during Covid they asked for subscriptions to keep the website going and I think that put off some people.

Edit: Ah I just had a look at some profiles on the website and realise that there is additional information (not on the app) on there showing the responsiveness to messages. From the few I looked at I can see that 0-10% responsiveness is common! I guess that means that if you're on the road you can chuck out a message but have in mind that you're more than likely to need an alternative if you don't get a reply. So, not that useful as a resource unless you get lucky or can message a long way in advance.

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    I've not used them personally, but my brother has used it extensively over the last couple of years, and continues to do so.

He lives in Italy, but tours all over the world, came to the UK in June from Italy and went through several countries on the way here, and will return in September, taking a different route back.

He has a lot of success with warm showers, but does say he has to 'hedge his bets' a bit, and message a few days ahead to more than one host, as like you he may not get a response from some, or they may not be able to accommodate anyway.

He's met a load of really nice and friendly people, and been well looked after along the way. Most people he has met they have exchanged details, and they follow him on insta etc, and have invited him back without going through warm showers.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    daniel_b said:

I've not used them personally, but my brother has used it extensively over the last couple of years, and continues to do so.

He lives in Italy, but tours all over the world, came to the UK in June from Italy and went through several countries on the way here, and will return in September, taking a different route back.

He has a lot of success with warm showers, but does say he has to 'hedge his bets' a bit, and message a few days ahead to more than one host, as like you he may not get a response from some, or they may not be able to accommodate anyway.

He's met a load of really nice and friendly people, and been well looked after along the way. Most people he has met they have exchanged details, and they follow him on insta etc, and have invited him back without going through warm showers.

How does it work exactly. Do the kindly folk that host do it just for a bit of company?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    Watched a few people bikepacking around various parts of the world on YouTube and they seem to get some success with warm showers.
  • daniel_b
    edited July 2023
    seanoconn said:

How does it work exactly. Do the kindly folk that host do it just for a bit of company?

Pretty much yes - my brother says his experiences of the hosts tend to fall into a few categories:
    • People who bike tour now, benefit from the service and offer it out to others
    • People who toured a bit, maybe now have children, but still want to meet like minded people
    • People who are retired, may have toured in the past, have lots of spare time, and probably space in their houses, and want to fill their evenings, and meet interesting people with stories to tell
    Some people will offer a room, and a meal\breakfast, and offer to wash\dry any clothes you have with you.
    Others will offer only a place to pitch a tent in their garden for example, it all depends on the individual host.

He's met some really nice and interesting people from a huge range of backgrounds.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • seanoconn
    daniel_b said:

seanoconn said:

Pretty much yes - my brother says his experiences of the hosts tend to fall into a few categories:
    • People who bike tour now, benefit from the service and offer it out to others
    • People who toured a bit, maybe now have children, but still want to meet like minded people
    • People who are retired, may have toured in the past, have lots of spare time, and probably space in their houses, and want to fill their evenings, and meet interesting people with stories to tell
    Some people will offer a room, and a meal\breakfast, and offer to wash\dry any clothes you have with you.
    Others will offer only a place to pitch a tent in their garden for example, it all depends on the individual host.

He's met some really nice and interesting people from a huge range of backgrounds.
    Sounds awesome. What a way to save money and meet great people. Not sure I could turn up without a bottle of wine or something. Hope it continues to grow and doesn’t get abused in any way.
  • daniel_b
    Yep my bro says he always goes and buys a little something to give as a gift and to say thankyou for hosting him, nothing too big or costly as he's on a tight budget himself, but a little box of chocolates, or a bottle of something to show his appreciation.

Agreed though, it sounds like a great scheme, and we might consider doing it as well.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    I first joined Couchsurfing years ago thinking I'd only ever use it as a traveler which I did a couple of times. When I was living on my own I decided to offer space as a host, not thinking that I'd get many takers out here in West Wales. I put couchsurfers up in my camper van parked on the drive as I didn't really have space indoors. They used the bathroom/kitchen in the house and the van gave them a bit of privacy. Sometimes I'd cook for them, sometimes they'd bring food with them and sometimes they'd stay just for a night and others stayed for a few. It was almost always a nice experience.

The way I've always thought of it is that when you're away traveling it feels like you're part of a community as you talk to other backpackers about where they have been, where they are heading and what they've enjoyed/hated along the way. When you get home you no longer have those conversations and I found hosting people was a way to be in that club again. I've made good friends through couchsurfing and would recommend it but I've realised that a lot of people find the idea odd or their worst nightmare! I enjoy chatting to new people and I'm happy to share my space with a stranger (you do have their profile/reviews to read before you agree to host them) so it wasn't an issue for me even though sometimes I couldn't be bothered so declined the request!

Warm Showers means that you've already got a love of cycling/touring in common so you've got a good place to start when meeting the person but you can interact as much or as little as you like anyway. Most cycle tourists would be happy to have a garden in which to put a tent with access to a warm shower and anything more than that is a bonus. No need to worry about not making them dinner or offering them a bed.

An interesting conversation to have is to discuss the best/worst couches people have surfed. An Italian guy I hosted had been in Uruguay and the host wasn't going to be there but told him to make himself at home at the house. It turned out to be a grand old house and in the morning a butler knocked on his door to ask what he wanted for breakfast!

I'll give Warm Showers a go as a host and will try again when I next do a tour and as a concept I'd thoroughly recommend it to others who might want to host a passing tourist.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    There was a "fall-out" within Warm Showers a while ago. I understand that the creator of the organisation lost control to a few people who wanted to take it online in a more structured and commercial fashion.

Allegedly the subscription costs are much more and the level of activity has dropped. There is an alternative WS on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/243374777243989/?hoisted_section_header_type=recently_seen&multi_permalinks=783494969898631