Good value sunnies

My Oakley flack jackets are on their last legs.

Had then 10 years but they’ve not been the same since the little one bent them. Plus, they look very old fashioned now.

I’ve seen some Pit Vipers for around £20 so I wondered if anyone had any views on them or indeed any other budget or eBay/Vinted bargains.

If it matters I have a small face but really long eyelashes which has been a problem in the past.

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,636
    Madison do a decent range that aren't silly money.

Galibier do one or two models that look good too.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,159
    edited July 2023
    You can add DHB to that list (although I'd go for the Galibiers too).

But in my experience all of those cost about half the price of a pair of Oakley's on sale, won't last as long, and you can't get replacement lenses as easily - so just look for a set of Oakley's on sale. Radars are less out there than Jawbreakers and you can usually pick a set up for £90.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,620
    edited July 2023

If it matters I have a small face but really long eyelashes which has been a problem in the past.

I have this exact same set up.

My favourite glasses, although not uber budget, are Scott ones, I go photochromic, and find both the shield and Pro shield fit really well and do not make contact with my eye lashes.

The photochromic ones can be had from around £85ish, the standard ones as low as £50 iirc.

Quality wise, I would put them up there as good as Oakley.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 621

I'm now picturing you as a very small giraffe...
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Lidl have some excellent photochromic sunnies for £6 at the moment. I know, I know, but at that price perfect for the commute and actually can't find anything wrong with them yet!
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,105
    Tifosi ones get good reviews. I have some Northwave ones that are fine, must be 5+ years old

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • secretsam
    Any recommendations for prescription sunnies at a reasonable price most welcome.
    Now, where did I put my specs?

• andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    I've had some generic Amazon ones that came with several lenses. I also was gifted some Oakley radar ev zero for both running and cycling and tbh biggest waste ever I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the lenses .
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,977
    andyh01 said:

I've had some generic Amazon ones that came with several lenses. I also was gifted some Oakley radar ev zero for both running and cycling and tbh biggest waste ever I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the lenses .

Not saying that you are wrong but the biggest test for sunglasses is can you see shadow detail when looking into the low sun? If you can then fair play. B)
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,848
    I've had a pair of Oakleys for 11 years and still going strong. The frames seem to be as good as new but i need new lenses (Radar Lock).

Before them I was going through a pair of cheapies (£20-30) once a year so the Oakleys have paid for themselves.
  • secretsam
    secretsam said:

Tifosi ones get good reviews. I have some Northwave ones that are fine, must be 5+ years old

Typical, bl00dy things just broke :'(

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,399
    edited August 2023
    navrig2 said:

I've had a pair of Oakleys for 11 years and still going strong. The frames seem to be as good as new but i need new lenses (Radar Lock).

Before them I was going through a pair of cheapies (£20-30) once a year so the Oakleys have paid for themselves.

Have you looked at sunglassfix.com?

I had an ancient pair of Oakleys (Bottlejackets) that were great apart from the lenses wearing out. It's an Australian company so they take a while to arrive but are perfect replacements, easy to fit etc. and way cheaper than buying a new pair of Oakleys

https://www.thesunglassfix.com/replacement-sunglass-lenses-with-free-worldwide-shipping
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,082
    secretsam said:

secretsam said:

doh
  • secretsam

secretsam said:

secretsam said:

doh
    :#

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,848
    Testing :-)

That website doesn't stock Radar Lock lenses. Pity.
  • rick_chasey
    mrb123 said:
    I almost went for these, but I found a pair of 100% S3s, new with tags on vinted for £35, so I have gone for that.

Will let you know how they go.

https://road.cc/content/review/271421-100-s3-maap-glasses
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2023

mrb123 said:
    I almost went for these, but I found a pair of 100% S3s, new with tags on vinted for £35, so I have gone for that.

Will let you know how they go.

https://road.cc/content/review/271421-100-s3-maap-glasses
    Some problems with Royal Mail but they have arrived.

They are *big* and tbh off the bike they look ridiculous. Jury is out of the look as bad on the bike.

Yet to try them on the bike but the complaint some reviewers have had about touching the top of the helmet does not seem to be a problem.

Eye lashes very slightly touch the lens but the nose gripper is strong enough to be able to move it a couple mm away from my face.

Feel *very* light. Will update when I get out on the bike.
  • rick_chasey
    OK so I actually got around to wearing them on the bike.

Firstly, they are massive, and beyond looking like a plonker with them on with a fairly small head, they protude a little around the side of my head.

Advantage is the coverage is great and visibility is therefore excellent. Marked improvement on my previous oakleys; no angle I cannot see.

Disadvantage; got a bit of stuff in my eye from (granted very strong) cross wind as it whipped in behind the gap from the wide glasses.

Clarity is excellent, very secure on the face, extremely light.

They are big so I did feel my face around my cheekbones, eyes etc get quite hot as I'm not used to having that much windbreak.

So far, so good.
  • My worry would be excessive sweat in summer - I find that with my Jawbreakers when on hard training rides, especially in groups when you are riding hard out of the wind so the sweat builds up, then the lenses become too cloudy to see.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah. TBH, as a baldy I have that with all glasses.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,636
    I wear a Halo headband under my helmet in hot weather. Basically it has a rubber strip on the forehead that prevents sweat dribbling down under your glasses. Only downside is you end up with an indentation on your forehead after wearing it for a few hours but it soon disappears and a small price to pay to avoid stinging eyes!

https://www.haloheadbanduk.com/product-category/headbands/
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,620
    I thought you guys would be all over the bandana.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,406
    mrb123 said:

I wear a Halo headband under my helmet in hot weather. Basically it has a rubber strip on the forehead that prevents sweat dribbling down under your glasses. Only downside is you end up with an indentation on your forehead after wearing it for a few hours but it soon disappears and a small price to pay to avoid stinging eyes!

I've seen those and might invest for next summer, although it seems a high price for effectively a strip of fabric. I usually wear a lightweight cap at the minute.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,977
    daniel_b said:

I thought you guys would be all over the bandana.

They work well. Up to the point where they are drenched.
    Not so much of an issue in the UK but while abroad, well....
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Tashman said:

mrb123 said:

I've seen those and might invest for next summer, although it seems a high price for effectively a strip of fabric. I usually wear a lightweight cap at the minute.
    I’ve used a Halo band for a good few years now. Before if I had to put in an effort I had to put my glasses on my helmet. The only time I’ve to do this since wearing a Halo 😇 was in the Alps at 30 plus degrees.