monday aux champignons

'ning

early autumn weather continues

cafe stroll wfh, tdf rest day, bubbly
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,604
    On the train into the Big Smoke for a day on the corporate hamster wheel. At least there's free coffee. Another 4 day week awaits.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    Much bad weather forecasted. Meh.
    Yesterday; Blaenau Ffestiniog. Former world capitol of slate mining. Though some mining still operates.
    Lots there: biggest zip slide in the world and 3 uplift vans for lazy MTB ers*.
    The DW's and I went up a hill. It was hard to actually picture the landscape before slate mining as there are so many man made piles - and they're hoooge.
    The valley in the rain was pretty grey and bleak yet spectacular.

*The highest run is some height but still.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197
    After a period of be on holiday at home debauchery with friends then family, it's time to sort out some issues: e.g. missed for 1st time evah credit card payment due on Friday, always paid off in full, no doubt a stropette communication on its way; bleepin' whitefly have staged a greenhouse invasion; there will be more to be uncovered no doubt.

At least the sun is out, for a while...
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon said:

After a period of be on holiday at home debauchery with friends then family, it's time to sort out some issues: e.g. missed for 1st time evah credit card payment due on Friday, always paid off in full, no doubt a stropette communication on its way; bleepin' whitefly have staged a greenhouse invasion; there will be more to be uncovered no doubt.

There's a new fangled thing called a direct debit, check it out ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232
    A bit meh today, no cycling to watch later but as I didn't watch Sundays I'll catch up on that.
    Managed a Zwift before work, nothing exciting though.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197
    Stevo_666 said:

orraloon said:

There's a new fangled thing called a direct debit, check it out ;)
    Ayebut, shirley as one of those beanie enumerators you wouldn't have funds sitting in a non interest bearing current account from which to set the DD? That's why I need to do the tx then the tx.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    MaHaReOx !
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    edited July 2023
    Every now and then a day comes along which puts all of your problems into perspective. Our financial controller put a meeting in my diary to talk about a 'non-work matter' this morning, so I rock up thinking he might want some tax planning tips. Turns out he's been diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease :( Only just turned 50, got a wife and 2 kids, really good bloke. Has been handling it very well as he's known for a few months but you never would have guessed; he's decided to tell people now before it starts to become noticeable.

Turns out I was right and he did want some tax planning tips - IHT. But that wasn't the main point of the meeting.

How ****ing lucky are we?
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,659
    Stevo_666 said:

Every now and then a day comes along which puts all of your problems into perspective. Our financial controller put a meeting in my diary to talk about a 'non-work matter' this morning, so I rock up thinking he might want some tax planning tips. Turns out he's been diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease :( Only just turned 50, got a wife and 2 kids, really good bloke. Has been handling it very well as he's known for a few months but you never would have guessed; he's decided to tell people now before it starts to become noticeable.

Turns out I was right and he did want some tax planning tips - IHT. But that wasn't the main point of the meeting.

Ah that's a b@st@rd of a diagnosis. :-(

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,533
    Stevo_666 said:

That's bad. An old schoolfriend's wife died of MND aged 47. Left 2 teenaged daughters. They and their dad have spent the years since doing v hard physical challenges to raise money. Makes you think.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Afternoon folks,
    Another day of delights in the orifice, but the wobble in wasn't unpleasant at least. Busy week ahead, but then they all are.
    That's a stinker Stevo, can't imagine what the guy is going through. As you say, we should all count our blessings.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,659
    Oh, happy birthday Oxo!

Day off assigned shed duties today, and had the driver's hat on instead. Out and about to do errands various. Home too late to achieve much before dark. Better luck tomorrow.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,533
    Happy cake day Oxo! I prefer to work on my b'day, because I'm a miserable sod.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Whoops, forgot about that after reading Stevo's news. Happy birthday Oxo, I too don't tend to waste a day off because I'm even older than I was. Enjoy the cakes.
  • Stevo_666
    +1 HB Oxo, had missed your news as I was a bit stunned after what I heard this morning.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Evening
    Back home from the HebCelt festival. Last night was a posh hotel near Perth where we only just made it in time for dinner due slow ferries and accidents causing road closures. Well worth it though.
    Cats seem to be pleased to see us after the initial stand offishness.
  • Stevo_666
    Now having a glass of plonk and reflecting on how bloody lucky I am to have good health.