thursday in a fog of fermions

'ning

cool start, still non-summery

ride cafes wfh, hope slightly lumpier tdf will be more interesting than yesterday's, bubbly
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,727
    Moaning,

Mild, sun breaking through the clouds

WAFH again today, just about to see what the breakfast is like.

Went for a walk last night, phew. If I lived around here I either would be a lot fitter or not a cyclist, everywhere you go it’s a hill (Halifax) not what I’m used too at all
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Morning
    Sat watching the cloud drift over Loch Broom. Ferry to catch in an hour or so.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    No1 son sports day. Big blow out fry up in the cafe next to the stadium for energy. Give some support before meandering to work.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    webboo said:

Morning
    Sat watching the cloud drift over Loch Broom. Ferry to catch in an hour or so.

Gorgeous even when the weather is shyte.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    seanoconn said:

No1 son sports day. Big blow out fry up in the cafe next to the stadium for energy. Give some support before meandering to work.

Shorty wants to race him.
  • pinno
    ...a bit of blue sky and looks like I will be grass cutting. Meh.
  • pinno

Moaning,

Mild, sun breaking through the clouds

WAFH again today, just about to see what the breakfast is like.

Went for a walk last night, phew. If I lived around here I either would be a lot fitter or not a cyclist, everywhere you go it’s a hill (Halifax) not what I’m used too at all

Same as when I was in Northumberland. Some brutal and relentless climbing add to that rough tarmac and mad drivers.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232

Welcome to my world.
    Chaos in the village today, some twi/a*t decided 4 way traffic lights right on the main road through would be a great idea. Cue a 60 minute drive to work instead of the usual 10.

*take your pick, either vowel will suffice.

Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,604
    Up too early to get into work for meetings, luckily the ride in woke me up a bit. Too many meetings today for my liking, I might have to be difficult in some of them.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,659
    Suspiciously mild for a mid-winter day. 18 C!? Getting breezy though, and warnings out for worse.

Started a new project in shed - make a stand for TV screen I use with the trainer software, which will have it tilted back facing up at me, so I don't have to extend the neck to watch it... As usual, this means stupid overkill joinery effort, starting with machining up some rough sawn 4*2 hardwood framing timber into a beautiful finished piece of furniture grade stuff, straight, square and smooth...

More work to do over the weekend.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    edited July 2023
    Afternoon folks,
    Decidedly fresh wobble in for another day of fun and games in the orifice. Todays most popular form of stupidity is the old chestnut of some salesmen thinking that a high value order is really good for us, when they've sold stuff for far too low a margin. The old phrase of turnover's vanity, profit is sanity might sound patronising, but it's true.
    Off to the old dear's tonight as she's back from Italy, do me good to wobble a bit further as I don't want to drive to Wombledon. Hopefully I won't get rained on.
    seanoconn said:

How will you having a big fry up give the lad the energy required? Are you doing the dad's race?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl4gtvZPkEY
  • seanoconn

Afternoon folks,
    Decidedly fresh wobble in for another day of fun and games in the orifice. Todays most popular form of stupidity is the old chestnut of some salesmen thinking that a high value order is really good for us, when they've sold stuff for far too low a margin. The old phrase of turnover's vanity, profit is sanity might sound patronising, but it's true.
    Off to the old dear's tonight as she's back from Italy, do me good to wobble a bit further as I don't want to drive to Wombledon. Hopefully I won't get rained on.

seanoconn said:

How will you having a big fry up give the lad the energy required? Are you doing the dad's race?
    Energy density = E over V

Or massive F off breakfast = faster legs. 😃
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,659

Afternoon folks,

seanoconn said:

Bl00dy salesmen...

In a previous life as Supply Chain Mgmt in a company making electronic kit for Defence clients... the Sales wizard came visiting one day pleased he'd sold 30 pieces of something to Navy for 5 grand a pop. Reckoned he'd done "costing" to manufacture and come out at $1500 each max to make.

I read the spec and laughed and laughed and laughed at him, in front of a room full of people.

The parts cost alone came in at over 8 grand each, never mind labour and overheads recovery.

Muppets. All of them.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128
    edited July 2023
    grrr, same as yesterday, there's no commentary on eurosport ad-free/multi-audio streams, there's sound/features but no commentary

only the ad-ridden stream has commentary, this is when logged in via the tv using the es app

yet the multi-audio stream via the es website has the commentary

edit: figured it out, tv app lost settings for some reason
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,533
    sungod said:

grrr, same as yesterday, there's no commentary on eurosport ad-free/multi-audio streams, there's sound/features but no commentary

Well, yes, doze men at de front of de pellotorn have been reeely pushing orn at dat reel hoigh pace for a nomber of kilomayters now to protect the GC men, and a nomber of roiders are startin to feel de effects of dat reel hoigh pace, and it's loikely dat doze men in de breakaway will get caught in de foinal nomber of kilomayters etc etc.

Plus either Rob hatch or Carlton Kirby getting everything wrong in the manner of excited puppies, or in the case of Hatch, overpronouncing the rider and place names.

There you go! Eurosport commentary. Oh yeah, plus that posh bloke talking about food, the ex-riders Blythe and McEwen, blathering on with some in jokes and banter.

But then there's the absolute feast for the eyes that is Orla. She's worth the subs on her own. Just Orla, in a variety of outfits.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Lad just sent a message to tell us he'd received an email about the extra award he got, turns out he also gets £150. Told him he could celebrate with a nice meal. Or wait until they get to Mexico and have several nice meals.
    Jammy git
  • pinno

sungod said:

Well, yes, doze men at de front of de pellotorn have been reeely pushing orn at dat reel hoigh pace for a nomber of kilomayters now to protect the GC men, and a nomber of roiders are startin to feel de effects of dat reel hoigh pace, and it's loikely dat doze men in de breakaway will get caught in de foinal nomber of kilomayters etc etc.

Plus either Rob hatch or Carlton Kirby getting everything wrong in the manner of excited puppies, or in the case of Hatch, overpronouncing the rider and place names.

There you go! Eurosport commentary. Oh yeah, plus that posh bloke talking about food, the ex-riders Blythe and McEwen, blathering on with some in jokes and banter.

But then there's the absolute feast for the eyes that is Orla. She's worth the subs on her own. Just Orla, in a variety of outfits.
    Stage 10 - Hatch bollox) '...was a day for the ages...' and he chucked in a heap pf sentiment, hyperbole and billed it as epic and waffled on about the Worlds in October and other races to come and the lone breakaway rider gets caught after talking him up.

I'm going to put a sticker on my top tube a la Voigt 'Shut up Hatch'.
    I disagree about Orla - terrible outfits but one of the best female sports presenters on TV. The outfits are therefore immaterial to the point.

You would make a good Kelly double BTW.
  • seanoconn

sungod said:

Not quite sure how Orla does it. A great figure but at 43 some of her outfit choices could be questionable at best. She pull it off somehow, it’s fun. If she wants to wear outrageous heels with pink socks she does 😃😂