Sep Vanmarcke

No_Ta_Doctor
No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
Sep Vanmarcke has retired, due to some dodgy heart issues.

https://israelpremiertech.com/sep-vanmarcke-retires-from-professional-cycling/

He was so often close to winning a monument, but always cheated by mechanicals. I'm not sure components could cope with the power he put through them :(
Warning No formatter is installed for the format

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,532
    Wish he'd won P-R in 2016.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Jesus...

Puts his epic pain face into context when you realize he was ripping his heart apart!

Just seems wrong that he hasn't got a monument trophy from somewhere. It always seemed like he would eventually pull it together on the day.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Real shame. He was always enjoyable to watch and a rider easy to root for.

Seem to be more and more of these heart issues, not just cycling but generally in pro sport. Is that down to better and closer screening or pushing the body too hard?
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    Would pro athletes be routinely scanned for issues like myocarditis, that covid infections and sometimes even the vaccines appeared to cause, or only if the athlete complained of heart trouble?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449

Would pro athletes be routinely scanned for issues like myocarditis, that covid infections and sometimes even the vaccines appeared to cause, or only if the athlete complained of heart trouble?

I think it depends on your nationality to some extent, as a lot of countries insist on regular heart scans as a prerequisite to being given a professional license.

I don't know if teams do the same, but one would imagine that some of the higher budget teams do this kind of check as a matter of course.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Yeah, at least his career hasn't really been cut short.

Heart attacks are one of the biggest causes of deaths in races so it's definitely important they get scanned for this stuff.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    edited July 2023
    andyp said:

I think it depends on your nationality to some extent, as a lot of countries insist on regular heart scans as a prerequisite to being given a professional license.

I have a heart scan scheduled for August just to get a med certificate just to do a few fun events. After hearing about Vanmarcke I'm not looking forward to the results for my old ticker.

I bet a lot of people who've done sport to a reasonably high level - racing, lots of training volume etc. have heart issues whether they know about them or not.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    Sep has always been a hero of mine.

To lose Golden Greg and him at once is galling.

Sep was always the one who came so close without getting that monument.

When I rode Flanders I was super careful not to hit that gap in the road on the run in to the Paterberg that took him down and out on one of his better runs.
  • rick_chasey
    Just spotted him on my holiday. Didn’t have the quick enough reactions to say hello and didn’t want to chase him down the street.

Still looks as thin as his pro days.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Is he one of those pros that looks huge on the telly compared to the other riders but in real life looks like a hobbit..?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    He looked pretty tall tbh. Very thin though.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156

Just spotted him on my holiday. Didn’t have the quick enough reactions to say hello and didn’t want to chase him down the street.

Are we still talking about Sep? He only retired a few weeks ago, even I don’t put on weight that fast!
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Pross said:

Are we still talking about Sep? He only retired a few weeks ago, even I don’t put on weight that fast!
    That lack of commitment is while you'll never be a pro
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

He looked pretty tall tbh. Very thin though.

Doesn’t everyone look pretty tall to you😉