www.bikeinn.com - awful customer service

It's been a long time since I posted in the forums and I hope all are well. I feel compelled to share the most frustrating customer experience I've ever had; in dealing with www.bikeinn.com. I've bought from them once before and this time they were the only company who had what I wanted so I pulled the trigger on £500 worth of kit. Things went wrong when their system said there had been a payment error and that no money had been taken, so I tried again with the order which was successful

It turns out there was another order and I received two identical orders in the post, so I contacted them to let them know and asked how I could return one order at no cost to myself for shipping as it was not my error and their returns system will not accept 'duplicate order made due to system error' as a returns option. Apologies for pasting the full dialogue with them but this is how the conversation has gone since I put in that first message, and just to summarise, I will not be buying from tradeinn ever again. It's fine when things go right but if something goes wrong they're awful. I'm posting this just so that you guys can see who you may be dealing with and make your own decisions

This was the email I received from John after I reached out to them:
Dear Mark,
Thank you for contacting us.
Your parcel is currently on its way and it is due to be delivered to you very soon. Please note that after the dispatch the parcel is in transit for a few days.
Once it arrives to the United Kingdom the Royal Mail tracking should be updated.
In order to track your parcel please use the following information:
- Parcel number: JB001168740GB
- Tracking: https://www3.royalmail.com/track-your-item#/tracking-results/JB001168740GB
If the tracking is not updated, please use the following one: https://www.mailingtechnology.com/tracking/?tn=JB001168740GB
Please note that current circumstances may cause delays in transit. New border controls, reduced air freight capacity in the market, and local protective regularions and quarantine measures may all impact service.
You can contact them using the following link: https://personal.help.royalmail.com/
In case you have received your package and wish to return an item, you must log into your account and start the return process.
Kind regards,
John
Tradeinn Team – Customer service

This was my response:
Hi John. Thanks for your reply but that doesn’t at all answer my question. I would like to return a duplicate order at no cost to me because your systems told me a payment hadn’t been made and I made a duplicate order. Please advise how I go about this as your returns process doesn’t account for things being returned due to an issue at your side.
Many thanks

And this came back from Jhork Z:
Dear Mark,
Thank you for contacting us and sorry for the trouble.
In order for us to be able to see we sent you the wrong item or a defective/damaged one, or in order to double check if there is any missing item from the order we need you to place a return request.
In order to do so you need to:
- Click on Orders sent and choose the order and item you are having trouble with
- Select the topic better suits the situation, and attach some pictures where we can see the item shipped, label and as much information as you can so we can investigate your case. In case of damaged items please add pictures of the parcel and shipping label.
You can see a further explanation here:
https://www.tradeinn.com/en/devoluciones/st
If you return a damaged or faulty item, or the item is not as pictured, of course we will organize a pick up on our cost. Please make sure, to choose the right return reason, when proceeding return.
If we have to contact you, we will send you a communication that you can read and answer at "MY ACCOUNT".
If you have any further questions or concerns, please visit our FAQs page or feel free to contact us via our on-line form available in MY ACCOUNT.
Kind regards,
Tradeinn Team – Customer service

My response:
Hi. I am sorry but you are still not understanding my issue. I tried to place an order and was told that the payment had been declined, so I tried again. But I have ended up with two orders with references 39880700 and 39880848. Order 39880700 should not have been completed as I was told the payment had been declined but you took the money and sent me the items despite me placing the order again which was 39880848. So I need to return order 39880700 and because it was your system error I should not be charged. However your system does not give me this as an option in the returns. So how do I return this order at no charge to myself?
Thanks
Mark

And this came back from Steve:
Dear Mark,
Tradeinn gives you the right to return your purchased item/s without having to give a reason, at any time within 30 days beginning the day after the day on which you received the goods. You can return any item within 30 days, as long as the item/s is/are in perfect conditions (unused, with labels, in original packaging). We only ask you to please log in to MY ACCOUNT and follow our instructions by clicking on My orders > Return item(s).
Please find all further information here: https://www.trekkinn.com/outdoor-mountain/devoluciones/st
If you are claiming for a parcel not delivered and being returned to us, we cannot reship the parcel to you, once arrived you will get the corresponding refund.
If you claim a refund for an item removed from your order, the refund will be made within 2 to 4 business days after your order is shipped.
If you claim a refund for the cancellation of your order, the refund will be made within 2 to 4 business days.
If you have any further questions or concerns, please visit our FAQs page or feel free to contact us via our on-line form available in MY ACCOUNT.
Kind regards,
Steve

Then I got another response from Julia:
Dear Mark,
we apologize for the misunderstanding. We do not offer free returns. Unfortunately, free returns are only granted if a wrong or defective item has been delivered.

Kind regards,

My response to Julia (how many people is that now? 4?!)
Hi Julia. Your system told me no payment had been taken, so I placed another order. That should definitely qualify for a free return as it was in no way my fault. So far I am very unimpressed with your service. Please review your position on this as I categorically should not be paying for a return.

I also sent this:
Hi Julia. In addition to the below, I have now left online reviews stating that I would not recommend you to buy from. Your customer service is appalling and I will not be buying from you again. You have lost a customer who spends thousands on cycling products every year and I will share my experience both online and with my local cycling community

And this came back from Julia:
Dear Mark,
If you return an item due to not fitting correctly or any similar reason, return fees have to be paid by you.
If you return a damaged or faulty item, or the item is not as pictured, of course we will organize a pick up on our cost. Please make sure, to choose the right return reason, when proceeding return.

My response:
Hi Julia. It is getting very frustrating that every response I receive does not acknowledge the issue I have had with this order. How do I return the order at no charge when your system was at fault and I was told the first payment failed so made a second order.
Mark

And a final one from Julia:
Unfortunately we cannot meet your request

And that's where it's currently sat
Everything you see on TV reflects, accentuates and perpetuates the worst of the human ego. Watch the news tonight and see the separation, persecution and retribution rained down on our fellow man. We're all mad

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Sounds like a real nightmare and I can understand your frustration. However, have you actually received the orders? If not, just refuse delivery of the one when they arrive. This would solve the problem as it gets returned to sender and from my experience, they just process the return as normal.

Fwiw I did this a of years ago with an order I placed with a German bike shop, when their system duplicated my order. Both parcels were delivered by royal mail at the same time, so I accepted the one and rejected the other.

10 days later they had received it and I received a full refund for the duplicate order.
  • schofie
    schofie Posts: 280
    Unfortunately, and frustratingly now looking back, I didn't :/

If it had been a lower value order I might have but given the value and wanting it tracked on its return I think that's why I didn't. Had I only known!
    Everything you see on TV reflects, accentuates and perpetuates the worst of the human ego. Watch the news tonight and see the separation, persecution and retribution rained down on our fellow man. We're all mad
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,196
    Reclaim via your credit card co?
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    From your series of comms, you became a bit of a dick quite early on with your “at no cost to myself” demand then you told them you’d already started dissing them in reviews.
    Regardless of whether you’re right or wrong (and I think you’re right), you’ve done it wrong.
    Good luck with your continued frustrations, keep us posted, most amusing.
  • katani
    katani Posts: 140
    edited July 2023
    Just buy their return label, ship the items back and they will refund you the order amount + the shipping, if they find it was their payment system's error.
    These errors, rarely, but do happen, but it is nothing to do with the retailer, but caused by the system that processes the payment. Which is why it is important to take a screenshot of the error message, so you can prove it wasn't your fault.

From my memory, it takes a min. 3 weeks for them to ship back to Spain and process the return.

I have once ordered only a jersey at Bikeinn and they sent me the jersey along with a pair of Rudy Project photochromic sunglasses worth £80. I double, triple, quadruple checked they made an error and not charged me for the glasses and it appeared that they didn't.
    So I emailed them to ask how I can return the glasses and they replied "our error, keep them".

• wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397

From your series of comms, you became a bit of a censored quite early on with your “at no cost to myself” demand then you told them you’d already started dissing them in reviews.
    Regardless of whether you’re right or wrong (and I think you’re right), you’ve done it wrong.
    Good luck with your continued frustrations, keep us posted, most amusing.

To be fair, they’re not listening to anything he’s saying so it makes no difference what he said or how he said it. I also don’t think he was at all a bit ‘censored’ - firm and fair.

To the op - I get how frustrating, actually annoying this is. Could you send the whole order back stating the problem to be wrong items delivered - they delivered 2 of everything and not one?

Seriously, I see they can be contacted via WhatsApp. Assuming it’s not a bot at the other end, can you have a ‘live’ conversation with them that way?

Or phone them. Google searching ‘ bikeinn spain contact phone’ comes up immediately with a genuine looking number.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Have they billed you for the second order? If not, you're quids in. If they have, send it back for as much of a refund as you can get, whic might or might not include postage but is a lot better than paying for a second set you don't want.
  • Making a complaint is always a tricky one. I agree that this is the company's fault and they should have refunded postage costs.

Running a business myself, I see close at hand how customer service, and the way complaints are handled varies quite drastically.

I would say that as a general rule of thumb, initial approach should be to clearly outline your issue. Personally I wouldn't ask for or make any suggestions as to a remedy at this stage. Wait and see what they suggest to resolve the issue.

On the majority of occasions you will get a satisfactory response. If you don't, this is the point I would be firm and request the outcome you are looking for. If you still get the brush off at this stage, I would say this is the point where you can start making a complaint or kick up a bit of a (polite) fuss to try and get it resolved.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Ordered some new pedals from there on Saturday afternoon. Arrived this morning (Thursday). Didn't get a second free set (at least not yet).
    Saved a little bit over a UK seller, but also bought more cleats for other shoes that were half-price, so overall spent just under the ton instead of £130.
    Order progress updates, delivery one day ahead of estimate, boxed, and no tax messing. I'd use them again. Appreciate that's not the same as having a complaint, but gives a little balance.
    I've ordered from Deporvillage before. Website showed a wheel but at a cheap price. Queried if it was a rim or wheel and they couldn't confirm, so took a chance and ordered. A rim duly arrived. Returned unwanted using their service which cost me something like 9 £/€ (same thing now) but was far cheaper than me shipping it. I think it's their fault as what was described certainly was short of what was delivered. If it had the same number of holes I would have used it to rebuild the wheel I had and sucked up that cost/time, but unfortunately it didn't.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    edited July 2023
    I too have had no issues with bikeinn, though now paypal have ended their refunded returns, I'd be far less likely to order from them, unless I was 99% sure.

I've seen offers from deporvillage, but only seem to find bad reviews, so have never plucked up the courage.

Lordgun, bikester, Alpinetrek and mantel I have always found exceptional.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I bought some replacement Sidi buckles from Deportvillage. I didn’t realise where they were based when I ordered and they appeared to be only place with said buckles in stock. They took a couple of weeks to arrive, that was the only downside.