Packable rain/wind jacket FPC Free

I've got a a trip to the Alps booked in early September. Looking for a quality packable jacket for the descents and potential downpours.

The gore shakedown fabrics seem to set the standard but they've been phased out due to PFCs (forever chemicals).

Anyone got a recommendation for an alternative?

Castelli have released the tempesta lite this year but at £240 I think that's probably over budget.

Comments

• joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,080
    Could try and find a Gore tex ePE jacket? That's the newer, and apparently more eco, membrane.

• crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    edited July 2023
    The Endura Pro-SL range are excellent. I have one of their exo-shell jackets which keeps me bone dry (and warm) in heavy rain and a lighter race cape gilet which is also great as an emergency jacket in your back pocket. The exo-shell will pack into a pocket but I believe they also do a rain cape jacket which is even more compact.

Mine is an earlier version, but essentially this is the latest iteration of the exo-shell jacket. Cannot recommend it highly enough. RRP is £200 but worth shopping around, some of the less popular colours are often on offer.
    https://www.endurasport.com/pro-sl-waterproof-shell-jacket-black/13952498.html

The lighter rain cape is race-fit.
    https://www.endurasport.com/fs260-pro-adrenaline-race-cape-ii-black/12922971.html?utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=AWIN&utm_campaign=Skimlinks  &affil=awin&awc=18140_1688458867_b8333486ebbe9e3f57d177288d39baa1
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    The next year or two will be interesting for the industry as they need to move away from their traditional treatments.
    Both the Endura pro fs260 race cape II and the Galibier Tourmalet 4 offer waterproofing, compact size and 20k breathability on a reasonable budget - both would be on my list and I do own the Endura.
    There may be better & more spendy options.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,694
    Can someone explain to me why they think PE is better than PTFE?

I know the answer, but I'm curious as to peoples general understanding.
  • I thought that PE was less toxic, particularly in comparison to Teflon, which releases some fairly nasty emissions when heated or burned.

Weren't DuPont sued under numerous class action lawsuits for poisoning land, water supplies etc. via the production of Teflon?

That was my (limited) understanding anyway.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,694
    Well yes, but given its used in cookware, thermal decomposition or combustion products aren't a widespread issue. And the manufacturing issue that DuPont settled out of court on way back when has been discontinued, generally, I believe.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    crescent said:

The Endura Pro-SL range are excellent. I have one of their exo-shell jackets which keeps me bone dry (and warm) in heavy rain and a lighter race cape gilet which is also great as an emergency jacket in your back pocket. The exo-shell will pack into a pocket but I believe they also do a rain cape jacket which is even more compact.

Mine is an earlier version, but essentially this is the latest iteration of the exo-shell jacket. Cannot recommend it highly enough. RRP is £200 but worth shopping around, some of the less popular colours are often on offer.
    https://www.endurasport.com/pro-sl-waterproof-shell-jacket-black/13952498.html

The lighter rain cape is race-fit.
    https://www.endurasport.com/fs260-pro-adrenaline-race-cape-ii-black/12922971.html?utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=AWIN&utm_campaign=Skimlinks  &affil=awin&awc=18140_1688458867_b8333486ebbe9e3f57d177288d39baa1

How small does that pro-sl pack down? I want something as small as possible really. I'm thinking the rain cape might be more suited to my needs here. Essentially summer riding with protection if the weather turns.
  • Not purchased the rain jacket as such, but have a few pieces of Albion gear now and the quality is very good.

https://albioncycling.com/products/rain-jacket-3-0-orange
  • crescent

How small does that pro-sl pack down? I want something as small as possible really. I'm thinking the rain cape might be more suited to my needs here. Essentially summer riding with protection if the weather turns.

The exo-shell will fit in a back pocket but it is not the most compact jacket. The race cape rolls up very small, but I only have the gilet version, so can't really confirm about the full jacket. However, I'm fairly certain it would be more compact than the exo-shell.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • petemadoc
    crescent said:

The exo-shell will fit in a back pocket but it is not the most compact jacket. The race cape rolls up very small, but I only have the gilet version, so can't really confirm about the full jacket. However, I'm fairly certain it would be more compact than the exo-shell.

That's great thanks 👍
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    If you count out shakedry then I think you are going to have to compromise on either packability or level of waterproofing, unless you are prepared to pay for something like a the Tempesta (I still don't think this is as packable as a shakedry?)

There are still Shakedry options out there, my Gore one has lasted 3 years and still looks and performs like new. In your position I'd be going for something along those lines. It's already been made and it's not like your purchase is driving the production of more of these as it's already stopped as far as I'm aware? It will last a long time.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    I bought one of the blue https://www.merlincycles.com/funkier-dryride-pro-showerproof-cycling-jacket-193438.html a couple of months ago and it's nicely breathable; wind resistant and shower resistant. Plus it's passable to ride off the bike too.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    crescent said:

From experience the race cape is just shower proof. Ok for getting caught in the occasional light shower or for adding a layer of warmth. Not good for any kind of persistent rain.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • davebradswmb
    davebradswmb Posts: 518
    If we're on the subject of cheap alternatives I recently got one of these https://www.galibier.cc/product/ventultra-ii-windproof-cycling-jacket/. I never got the point of a waterproof jacket for cycling when you are going to be generating enough moisture of your own to soak any layers beneath it anyway. This is super light, close fitting and will keep most of the rain out. It has the added benefit of not being black which is not an ideal colour in bad weather.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    edited July 2023
    i.bhamra said:

There are still Shakedry options out there, my Gore one has lasted 3 years and still looks and performs like new. In your position I'd be going for something along those lines. It's already been made and it's not like your purchase is driving the production of more of these as it's already stopped as far as I'm aware? It will last a long time.

That's exactly what I was thinking, the energy and materials have gone into it being made - they WILL be sold, so why not give one a home.

7Mesh Oro is the lightest afaik, then you have the Castelli and Gore versions, getting progressively less fitted in that order.
    Forgot Rapha - they are out there too, not sure if available new though, similar cut to the Castelli.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    The Endura race cape is £40 on that link above if you buy it in red (and don't want size L). That's a real bargain. For emergency wind/rain protection it's good and packs down small.
  • petemadoc
    Thanks all. I'm going with the endura race cape. At £40 it seems like the best for the money considering it's an occasional use item.
  • Flasher2
    Flasher2 Posts: 19
    Don't, it's 39 quid wasted, a bin bag works the same for a quid!
  • kingstongraham
    Flasher2 said:

Don't, it's 39 quid wasted, a bin bag works the same for a quid!

You must be a very strange shape.
  • crescent
    I'm surprised to hear that about the race cape.
    I suppose the gilet has more natural ventilation so I've not noticed it.
  • kingstongraham
    I think it's good. It did me proud in the fog on the Aubisque and snow on the Gavia, as well as cycling to work last week.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    I've got a number of emergency rain capes and a shakedry, and to me they fill two different niches.

My Sportful HotPack is what I'd take for a trip to the Alps for descents, unexpected showers on a summer day where it's quite warm.

My Shakedry is what I would take if I expected rain, or any other form of cold unpleasant weather. It offers a completely different level of protection to an emergency cape, at least as good as any hardshell I own.

The Shakedry packs small enough for both uses, but it doesn't pack quite as small, and it's about 10 times the price, so I'm far more concerned about losing it or damaging it! If I think the protection would be overkill for the ride I'll leave it at home, as I suspect it would be for the majority of summer Alps trips, unless you were determined to ride all day every day even if rain was forecast.
  • Flasher2
    Flasher2 Posts: 19

I think it's good. It did me proud in the fog on the Aubisque and snow on the Gavia, as well as cycling to work last week.

So no actual rain then?
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Flasher2 said:

So no actual rain then?
    😂
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Defblade
    Defblade Posts: 142
    edited July 2023
    If we're on the subject of cheap alternatives I recently got one of these https://www.galibier.cc/product/ventultra-ii-windproof-cycling-jacket/. I never got the point of a waterproof jacket for cycling when you are going to be generating enough moisture of your own to soak any layers beneath it anyway. This is super light, close fitting and will keep most of the rain out. It has the added benefit of not being black which is not an ideal colour in bad weather.

Another vote for this one :)
    In regular shower/mountain/hill use across SW Wales (tho not so much this year!). Packs into a jersey pocket with a bit of room to spare.
    If I know it's going to be proper rainy, my very old Gore jacket goes go instead, probably on from the start.

I seem to have lost the "quote" button though?!