Adam Blythe talking bollocks...

josame
josame Posts: 1,162
edited July 2023 in Pro race
'Cav winning will make him the most successful TdF cyclist'

This line which he has trotted out on consecutive days of the coverage is simply plain wrong.

There is no jersey for crossing the finish line the most times in a race
The points jersey is the nearest to that and Sagan has won more of those than Cav

The most 'successful' rider is the rider who wins a jersey the most times so that'll be
Virenque (polka), Sagan and the 5x Yellow jersey gang (if we exclude LA).

Winning stages is an end in itself, for the guys above it was a means to an end.

'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    I think if Cav wins another stage, and has the most stage wins of any rider in the TdF, then that is a very impressive achievement and something to be very proud of.

But agreed that the statement above is only one interpretation of "successful".
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    Yes, we get it, you don't like Cavendish and don't rate his career.

Winning stages is blatantly obviously being successful and only a pedant wouldn't understand what Blythe is saying. I think I'd take stage wins over the green or polka dot jerseys as a measure of success.
  • josame
    Cav is good at what he does
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    So is it bunch sprint wins that you don't rate then?
  • josame
    I rate them and so does the Tour, via the Green Jersey
  • josame
    By successful riders
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    The green jersey is a bit of a novelty prize, something to add a bit of interest to the racing for stages and GC.

I'd rate Cav's record well above the record for number of green jerseys. Maybe if they restructured the points so it was purely for bunch sprints but the issue with that would be we see fewer flat stages now and I wouldn't want to get rid of those in-between finishes that offer a chance for aggressive riding to drop the sprinters.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    Now I expected a thread about the Tux.
    I'm sorely disappointed.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    I'm not sure it helps your argument to say that Virenque might be the most successful TdF cyclist of all time by your measure.
  • josame
    edited July 2023

I'm not sure it helps your argument to say that Virenque might be the most successful TdF cyclist of all time by your measure.

Doping is another issue entirely
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    josame said:

Doping is another issue entirely
    I wasn't even thinking about doping.
  • josame
    edited July 2023
    My point really is that the most 'successful tdf cyclist of all time' cannot apply to any one person due to the multiple categories of the race

and perhaps it best applies to success in the TdF's own categories

Having said that I think the Yellow jersey denotes 'the best' since a decathlete can be good at some disciplines but only wins on being best 'across the board'
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,702
    He was certainly talking boll&cks yesterday evening, ranting about why were UAE working to keep Adam Yates in the yellow jersey and completely ignoring the fact that they will get the next two days off.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    josame said:

'Cav winning will make him the most successful TdF cyclist'

This line which he has trotted out on consecutive days of the coverage is simply plain wrong.

There is no jersey for crossing the finish line the most times in a race
    The points jersey is the nearest to that and Sagan has won more of those than Cav

The most 'successful' rider is the rider who wins a jersey the most times so that'll be
    Virenque (polka), Sagan and the 5x Yellow jersey gang (if we exclude LA).

Winning stages is an end in itself, for the guys above it was a means to an end.

Surely this is a post for trivial things that annoy you?

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Does he actually need to specify the specific measure by which Cav will be the most successful TdF cyclist every time he says it?

He would uncontroversially be the most successful rider ever in terms of the number of stage wins, that's just a fact (and as above, likely to be a much stickier record than some of the others mentioned).
  • josame
    edited July 2023

*reads first post*
    *feels guilty about how many electrons must have died for so little point*

I recon they're still fairly healthy :blush:
    https://physicsworld.com/a/electron-lifetime-is-at-least-66000-yottayears/#:~:text=This violates “charge conservation”,,particle that will never decay.
  • josame

Does he actually need to specify the specific measure by which Cav will be the most successful TdF cyclist every time he says it?

now that would be silly

maybe just don't make the error in the first place
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    Eurosport is owned by Warner bros..
    Perhaps this accounts for the editing style: entertainment.

***THREAD CROSSOVER ALERT***

Perhaps t also accounts for Hatch's hyperbole.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    josame said:

now that would be silly

It's not an error. He would be the most successful cyclist in TdF history in terms of stage wins.
  • josame
    edited July 2023

josame said:

now that would be silly

It's not an error. He would be the most successful cyclist in TdF history in terms of stage wins.
    And x is the most successful cyclist in TdF History in terms of..
    and xy is the most successful cyclist in TdF History in terms of...
    and xyz is the most successful cyclist in TdF History in terms of....

He started it! (and basically that's my point)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Nobody else cares.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    Weird also that a UK presenter on a UK targeted platform would be hyping up a potential UK success story in a race where UK success may otherwise be limited*

* Up for further debate
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • josame
    edited July 2023
    'Weird also that a UK presenter on a UK targeted platform would be hyping up a potential UK success story in a race where UK success may otherwise be limited'

IoM is not a part of the UK ; )
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    Genuinely haven't seen this level of bants since I stopped reading the Clinic. Well done to you. :)
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

Genuinely haven't seen this level of bants since I stopped reading the Clinic. Well done to you. :)

I was honestly finding the middle section of a sprint stage with no breakaway more interesting, but whatever floats your boat
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    josame said:

'Weird also that a UK presenter on a UK targeted platform would be hyping up a potential UK success story in a race where UK success may otherwise be limited'

Perhaps, but it’s people are still British citizens.

https://www.gov.im/about-the-government/departments/cabinet-office/external-relations/constitution/#:~:text=The Isle of Man is an internally self-governing dependency,its people are British citizens.
  • josame
    wavefront said:

josame said:

Perhaps, but it’s people are still British citizens.
    That's a given, the OP and reply made no mention of Britain (only UK)