TDF: What channel will you be watching?

2»

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,867

My main takeaway from this and the other thread about (mostly) Carlton is that we're truly blessed these days to have a range of cycling commentators to be annoyed and disappointed by. It really is a golden age.

Nah.
    The golden age will start when Kirby retires. ;)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,658
    ITV really is a very good highlights show.

I fast forwarded through most of the racing yesterday but pressed play for the features

One was a section on the geology of the Basque Country, which was utterly fascinating

Apparently they were doing some filming with Pete K at the Nationals as DS of Trinity Racing for a feature

I hope Boardman shows up at some point. I know he's busy being King of the North of Cycling, but it doesn't seem like July without seeing him
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,821
    How is Evans as a pundit?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

ITV really is a very good highlights show.

Isn't it, the GCN ones used to just be a few random clips followed by the final 10-20km (although not watched them properly this year, maybe they've improved), whereas the ITV ones are a proper show.
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    edited July 2023
    I think Dan lloyd explained on here that there wasn't time to put together a better highlights programme with all the different European languages?
    We always watch itv4 when they show a race. They must do a lot of advance work.
    Otherwise, sometimes watch gcn highlights plus playback of the last bits of the live show for the comments.
    Tellywelly Wales also good.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    The GCN production has better post race analysis though. If you want to get a full feel for a stage you've not watched live you can do worse than watch the ITV highlights and then find the discussion on GCN, if you have a sub.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,955
    Chromecast is pretty solid for gcn ..sometimes a audio lag though. I got cheaper older version for 30 quid
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    I have noticed the ITV4 commentary is not in sync with the video feed which can lag behind Millar and Ned by a few secs
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

How is Evans as a pundit?

On official TV duties a bit 1d ... On the podcast NSF he is a hilarious eccentric... Shooting the breeze with other retired riders on the boring mid stage slot he is a good distraction... He seems to be enjoying himself and has a sense of humour I was surprised to see
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,821
    Yeah, I noticed he had a lot of sympathy for Vingers in the "if he spent 300m on the front he'd have made a friend for life in WvA" debate, which I thought was extremely on-brand for someone who took GC racing by eeking out your power as little as humanly possible to quite an extreme degree.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,134
    I've been syncing the GCN pictures with ITV commentary.........and I'm starting to find the Breakaway a bit wearing....could do with dropping one of the 3 for a GC expert; probably Blythe who's good in small doses, but better as a co-commentator.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,752
    andyrac said:

I've been syncing the GCN pictures with ITV commentary.........and I'm starting to find the Breakaway a bit wearing....could do with dropping one of the 3 for a GC expert; probably Blythe who's good in small doses, but better as a co-commentator.

Yeah, I like Blythe but feel his expertise is better suited to the Classics. He has some decent knowledge for sprint stages but McEwan has more. There is also a little bit of the show being about the presenters creeping in, I like them all and Orla is a good anchor but they are starting to get a bit too much for me at times.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,324
    McEwen is superb. His half of the call of the sprint run in yesterday was excellent.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,851
    ITV4 because it's free and only rarely do stages pull me in outside of the last ~20Km, so I can have ITV website on one tab while browsing elsewhere.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mididoctors
    Breakaway mockbus briefing is horrible cringe
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,867

Was going to post the same in today's stage thread.
    Truly awful and embarrassing.
    I feel sorry for whoever came up with the stupid idea.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,752

Was going to post the same in today's stage thread.
    Truly awful and embarrassing.
    I feel sorry for whoever came up with the stupid idea.
    Said the same yesterday, is this part of Discovery taking over and 'Americanising' it with pointless gimmicks? I don't see what it adds to them just talking tactics in the normal studio setting and they all look like they feel a bit awkward doing it.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,658

One of the worst things invented in the cycling media landscape, including Carlton Kirby

I know Dan Lloyd sometimes reads this forum. If you are Dan, please stop this