Shimano Tourney FD High limit not moving

Hi there

I have a road bike, and needed to adjust my gears especially FD, I’ve managed to adjust the Low limit screw, but when I go to adjust the high limit, when I turn the screw it has no effect at all, any ideas, or is it time for a new one, I’ve changed the cable etc, it is a 14 speed bike, probably around 9 years old

Cheers

Comments

• If the screw is turning then there's no reason that it wouldn't adjust unless the tab it pushes on is broken off .
    Not a big outlay for a new one if it is done though
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Does it move the cage when no cable is connected? If it does the cable tension is preventing movement.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    When you say it has no effect, is that with the chain on the outer ring (or at least the cage in the right position)? If it's still sat over the inner ring you won't see any effect (at least not until you try to move the cage out).

Was this mech always on this bike? I've only seen this mech in a version for triple chainrings, so wondered if the throw was too wide to have noticeable effect if it was one of those being used on a double.
  • Thanks all, I reckon it’s time to change it, it still does not adjust with cable not attatched, and when on large chainring, and when I do screw the hi limit there seems no resistance so I presume the plastic tab could of snapped off, it has been on the bike from new

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,447
    Hi, by all means get a new FD. However I think you are going about it wrong.

On your FD all the High Limit screw does is to stop the cage from moving too far outwards when it is pulled by the cable. It will only show its effect when there is a lot of tension in the cable trying to pull the FD even further outwards. Try this first:
    • slacken off the HL screw (anticlockwise)
    • shift the FD into the big ring position
    • pull hard sideways on the inner cable going to the FD to get maximum tension.
    • you should see the cage move outwards beyond the big ring
    • whilst keeping tension start to turn the HL screw clockwise until it hits the stop
    • keep turning after hitting the stop and you should see the FD cage start to move inwards towards the seat tube
    • set it so the inner face of the outer side of the cage is about 0.5-1mm beyond the face of the chainring.
    If this works then you won't need a new one can can spend the saved money on beers.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.