Shimano cleats

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
Quick question, are the two coloured tabs either side of the shimano cleats actually integral to the clipping system? (See image below showing one missing)

Comments

• Yes, when it has worn away you will have noticeably more play as you lose the stack height in the cleat. Looking at yours, won't make much difference though.
  • redvision
    Thanks
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Are you sure? I am pretty sure the yellow bit is entirely sacrificial.

The tabs (one of which is missing) sits outside the width of the pedal (clip your shoe in and have a look). DO NOT clip in just the cleat as it's effing hard to remove with the shoe attached.

The front bit is a bit more tricky as it does provide structural support to the front clipping in.

• From shimano .
    IIRC the parts at the back aid in unclipping when you twist your foot it pushes the back area to release or something along that
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    My cleat has started squeaking on the RHS - any ideas how to reduce? A drop of mineral oil between pedal and cleat?
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 668
    I used to use a squirt of beeswax furniture polish on my squeaky SPDs. Sure it would work as well for SPD-SL
  • redvision
    Thanks for the replies.

Still not riding (long term injury) so just going to change the cleat. Annoying though as had only put them on about a month before I had to stop riding in March 2022! So they had done less than 400 miles.

Shimano cleats really don't seem to be the quality the once were.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    redvision said:

Thanks for the replies.

Still not riding (long term injury) so just going to change the cleat. Annoying though as had only put them on about a month before I had to stop riding in March 2022! So they had done less than 400 miles.

Have they actually caused any issues? I've ridden worse than that for months.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Munsford0
    Only time I had issues with SPD-SL cleats was when I absolutely trashed a pair by doing too much pushing the bike up hills I couldn't quite manage. Culminated in not being able to clip out and the inevitable sideways fall into the road still attached to the bike...

So you can wear them down too much. Lot worse than your photo though
  • davebradswmb
    davebradswmb Posts: 518
    redvision said:

Thanks for the replies.

Are you sure they're genuine? The copy cleats do fall apart very quickly. I was thinking this when I saw the photo, even more so when you said they had been on for a month. I've seen this happen a couple of times on friends cleats, they both admitted to having bought cheaply.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150

redvision said:

Thanks for the replies.

Are you sure they're genuine? The copy cleats do fall apart very quickly. I was thinking this when I saw the photo, even more so when you said they had been on for a month. I've seen this happen a couple of times on friends cleats, they both admitted to having bought cheaply.
    Call me crazy, but I feel the cleats that come free with new shimano pedals are worse quality than standalone pairs. These also come (came?) with black screws and square "washers", as seen in the picture.

I've also seen the yellow heel stud fail very quickly on "pedal cleats".
  • redvision

redvision said:

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, definitely genuine, purchased from sigma sports.
  • redvision said:

redvision said:

Thanks for the replies.

Don't think I've ever seen genuine ones with black bolts etc like those either .
  • redvision

redvision said:

redvision said:

Thanks for the replies.

Don't think I've ever seen genuine ones with black bolts etc like those either .
    Er... you suggesting sigmasports are selling counterfeit cleats??

I've contacted them to see if there is any warranty claim. Even though they are only a few quid (I paid £14.99) worth a shot, although not holding much hope.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    Honestly they're fine. Get some of these if it bothers you.
    https://www.wiggle.com/p/shimano-spd-sl-pedal-cleat-covers
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Munsford0
    At least one of my pairs have bolts / washers just like your pic. I don't doubt they are genuine.

You might be lucky with the claim; it looks like the thing has just dropped off rather than worn away
  • redvision
    Just thought I would post an update, new set of cleats received yest as replacements under warranty from shimano (via sigma).

Didn't think I would get anywhere with it tbh but even though they are only a few quid it's quite nice to see a warranty honoured, especially for something like cleats.