saturday superluminally

'ning

forecast says the sun has not got his hat on and will not be coming out today, nor indeed for several days

ride cafes laze bubbly
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,004
    Rubbish - was hoping for a hot one at todays race. Trail marathon wales at coed y brenin should be a giggle, just got to try and stick to my pacing strategy as I’m meant to be tapering.

Lunch with friends on the way back and then a pals party in the local later, perfect day really
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,536
    A hatless sun was promised for the pre-booked lido. Oh well, it’s not Tuscany but will have to do.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,856
    Cloudy and grey and that's the first real rainfall for 5 weeks.
    Hopefully everything will turn back to green.
    I'm now let off watering duties.
    You lot shouldn't moan unless you want even more expensive food.

Locally, farmers have 1/3rd of the silage that they would normally have for this time of year.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,533
    tlw1 said:

Rubbish - was hoping for a hot one at todays race. Trail marathon wales at coed y brenin should be a giggle, just got to try and stick to my pacing strategy as I’m meant to be tapering.

Lunch with friends on the way back and then a pals party in the local later, perfect day really

Trail marathon = tapering! 😀
  • beansnikpoh
    Ride on the moor for me shortly. Weather seems reasonable.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,962
    edited June 2023
    Lie in done, supplies requisitioned, now having a bite to eat. Sun's out after a brief tip down this morning so will get a ride in later on. Mrs. 666 is busy filling the water butt's with her new 50m hose in anticipation of the hosepipe ban...

May eat out tonight after last night's disaster with junior ordering take away via Uber Eats who totally failed to deliver so we ended up cooking stuff late on. Only then did I see the swathes of 1 star reviews online. Avoid like the plague.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    tlw1 said:

:o Sometimes I feel glad my running days are over.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • beansnikpoh

Cheers chaps

Looks great! Sardinian beer eh? Is it nice?
  • tlw1

You win v68
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,575
    Drink drunk, swim swum.
    I asked the EPO if that counts as a duathlon and she laughed at me.
    Sardinian beer very pleasant, the unfiltered version at any rate. The normal one is a bit bland.
    My legs definitely furrier than TLW's.
    I'd definitely not win in any competition involving activities 🤣
  • tlw1
    If you challenge me now you will win, three big nights on the ale and trying to following a pacing strategy in a hilly race have killed me
  • pinno
    Anyone here tried Orval ?
  • pinno
    ...and in similar vein, Aachen Dunkel beer is ace.
    Can't get it here.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,902
    pinno said:

Anyone here tried Orval ?

yep, have belgian colleagues, over the years we had many beers, though only a smidge of all beers, they have so many

used to go to à la mort subite in brussels many years ago, early 90s, remember getting so wrecked
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pinno
    edited June 2023
    Yes, that is the problem with Belgian beers; they do get you wrecked.
    A pub called the Belgian monk opened in Cheltenham when I was there (closed in 2004) and they ran special offers like any 5 beers for £15.
    ...and that took mixing to another level.
  • pinno
    I had an 'Aachen Dunkel bier' or two whilst in Aachen. That's all it was named to me. The problem is is that there are quite a few Dunkel biers peculiar to Aachen.

Perhaps I need to go on a voyage of discovery...
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,036
    Well hello boys! Belgian beers eh? Yes please. Given the twice yearly Vlaandrian trips with empty beer crates returning filled, my first experience of such was 30 (😳) years ago, what do you want to know?

(Isn't / wasn't there an @hommelbier on this forum?)

My personal Belgian of this evening has been a simple St Bernardus Pater, only a 6% so no biggie. One has to move from Brit style pints guzzling to sip and enjoy.

Orval trappist is quite interesting. Not had one for some time, must replenish next trip.
  • veronese68
    Had some Dunkel before, hadn't particularly associated it with Aachen though. Been there a few times for business and to see friends.
  • seanoconn

Cheers chaps

I’ll console myself with the fact the water looks chilly.
  • seanoconn
    tlw1 said:

You win v68

Reminds me of MF’s legs, minus a few scars.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Evening.
    Not a lot to report . Dogs walked, in to town for shopping, session on the board. Went round to a neighbours for a drink who has just come back from her first visit back home to Saudi for 44 years. She fled the country to get married and couldn’t go back as she was likely to be killed.
    Just receiving messages from daughter dearest who is on her way back home from Brunei and is currently in Dubai and did I want any snazzy whiskey.
  • Stevo_666
    seanoconn said:

tlw1 said:

You win v68

Reminds me of MF’s legs, minus a few scars.
    The fact that you retain a mental image of MF's legs worries me somewhat, Seano :)
  • pinno

Had some Dunkel before, hadn't particularly associated it with Aachen though. Been there a few times for business and to see friends.

Dunkel bier is common yes, I know but I had a Dunkel bier peculiar to Aachen.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,622
    Evening all. Doing Uni Open Days with daughter who's looking at engineering. So cool looking at different unis and what they offer and how they offer it. Such amazing choice. Wish I was 17 again just to apply though doubt I'd get the grades required nowadays!

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• pinno

Evening all. Doing Uni Open Days with daughter who's looking at engineering. So cool looking at different unis and what they offer and how they offer it. Such amazing choice. Wish I was 17 again just to apply though doubt I'd get the grades required nowadays!

Loughborough?
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,615
    orraloon said:

Well hello boys! Belgian beers eh? Yes please. Given the twice yearly Vlaandrian trips with empty beer crates returning filled, my first experience of such was 30 (😳) years ago, what do you want to know?

(Isn't / wasn't there an @hommelbier on this forum?)

My personal Belgian of this evening has been a simple St Bernardus Pater, only a 6% so no biggie. One has to move from Brit style pints guzzling to sip and enjoy.

Orval trappist is quite interesting. Not had one for some time, must replenish next trip.

There was an @BelgianBeerGeek who disappeared suddenly too
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • photonic69
    pinno said:

Loughborough?

Looga-Bor-Ooogah?
    Nah, not yet. Done Exeter and Bath. Both excellent but Bath is more excellent. But I'm a bit biased.
    Birmingham next week. Its bloody exhausting!

• veronese68
    edited June 2023
    Bath was the lad's favourite on paper before we went, they were a bit uppity when we went and told him he wouldn't get an offer if he carried on doing photography A level, he should drop that and do Further Maths. Went to Birmingham and they said doing Photography is great as it shows you're not purely academic and have an eye for things.
    He got an A* in photography and has just finished his masters in Mech Eng at Birmingham.
    Good luck to your day in whichever she chooses. What type of engineering?
  • photonic69

Bath was the lad's favourite on paper before we went, they were a bit uppity when we went and told him he wouldn't get an offer if he carried on doing photography A level, he should drop that and do Further Maths. Went to Birmingham and they said doing Photography is great as it shows you're not purely academic and have an eye for things.
    He got an A* in photography and has just finished his masters in Mech Eng at Birmingham.
    Good luck to your day in whichever she chooses. What type of engineering?

Cool, that's good to know. Shes looking at doing either Integrated Mechanical and Electrical Engineering or Mech Eng. I think the IMEE course is more relevant to future technologies as it includes a lot of system control modules as well as coding and robotics. It does sound an amazing course that prepares you for many jobs where tech is involved.