Tektro, cable disc caliper

Mike_Mac
Mike_Mac Posts: 46
My kids bike needed their front break adjusted.
Stupidly, I was playing with the in out pad adjuster (pic below) and wanted to see how it worked. I lost the spring and the ball bearing from inside the mechanism.
Question: Is that spring and ball bearing "just" to keep the adjustment barrel in place? I have replaced the barrel and all seems well, but wondering my options and most importantly, is it dangerous not to have?

I

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    The spring pushes the ball bearing into the detents of the adjuster for the inner pad. Without it the adjuster is likely to turn under use or through vibration. If it comes out too far it will either start hitting your (their) spokes or just drop out. At the least you (they) are likely to get a variable amount of some brakes - from nothing one time to lots the next and maybe rubbing when not used.
  • Mike_Mac
    Mike_Mac Posts: 46
    me-109 said:

The spring pushes the ball bearing into the detents of the adjuster for the inner pad. Without it the adjuster is likely to turn under use or through vibration. If it comes out too far it will either start hitting your (their) spokes or just drop out. At the least you (they) are likely to get a variable amount of some brakes - from nothing one time to lots the next and maybe rubbing when not used.

Thanks 109, I think I'll order a new calliper. Lesson learned!

I guess I could just hold it into place with some loctite for the weekend ride....

Cheers,

Mike