Are women pros "spoilt children"?

davidof
davidof Posts: 3,095
The organiser of the 2e CIC Tour International Féminin des Pyrénées thinks so claiming "the women riders have ideas above their station"

The issue: the riders had to slalom between oncoming traffic and shoppers during stages of the race.

The pro teams denounced a lack of security for the event and 17 teams withdrew

Traffic on the course seems to be a recurring issue with women's events and it is shocking to see the issues continue. The whole things looks worse than a 3rd cat chipper tbh.

The public have not been kind to the organiser, demanding to know at what level you need to be not to get run down by an oncoming car. Others have pointed out that events like the mens's Paris-Nice in 2022 have had cars on the course but it seems that this race took it to another level and was more like a Friday night chain gang than a road race.

https://www.20minutes.fr/sport/cyclisme/4040760-20230611-course-velo-feminin-ecourtee-apres-fronde-peloton-organisation-denonce-caprice-enfants-gatees
BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
Instagramme

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I watched the end of the first and the lead actually over took a car driving in the same direction they were going. There didn’t seem to be any Marshall’s on a lot of the junction plus people just walking across the road in front of the riders.
    In the end didn’t the UCI pull the plug on the race.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Yes, the UCI did step in and cancel in the end

The irony is that the race was organised by the French Association
    of Female Cyclists, which was set up to promote professionalisation in women's cycling. The race itself was intended to provide an opportunity to ride some of the bigger climbs that they don't normally get on their race calender
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    Another out of touch dinosaur involved with women's cycling.......They all need firing into space.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    I saw the guy's comments on Twitter and then watched the videos... Unbelievable really.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    Would the conditions have been deemed acceptable for a men’s pro race? If not they weren’t suitable for the women. From all I’ve read about it there is no way the men would have raced. What is it about cycling that attracts dinosaurs to the running of the sport?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Totally unacceptable race conditions
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    I watched the stage this morning, and huge chunks of it were neutralised, and even bits that weren't had cars parked up on the road getting in the way. It was a farce.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    If it wouldn't be acceptable for a men's race then it's not acceptable for a women's race. It's that simple.

I am so fucking over arseholes like this treating the women like 4th class riders.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,666
    Nuts! It's not just the safety of the riders, but also that of the camera men on the motos and also those of the general public who maybe due to ignorance might not be aware of the race and are in real danger of being run down by riders, motos, team cars etc.

It's bad for everyone involved.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.