Sunscreen choices

2»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    Yeah makes sense you end up in the world of diminishing returns.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    I usually use P20 but not got any this year so I've been using whatever I pick up from the supermarket which currently is Nivea factor 20.

Good thread - as a kid I used to get badly burnt every family holiday to Bournemouth (where my nan lived) because we'd spend most days on the beach using some coconut oil based sun screen that probably just cooked the skin nice and crispy. Wasn't such an issue visiting my gran near Paisley.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2023
    Fwiw for non-cycling/sweating activities, I can recommend the P20 kids, which is a sort of yellow mayonnaise like cream that works well over a long time.

Only 4 stars for UV but after you rub it in it stops being shiny after 20 mins or so. Still a little greasy but it’s factor 50 so comes with the territory.

Wouldn’t recommend for cycling though. Sweats out and old baldy me it goes in my eyes which hurts.

Does stink - high street perfumed sun cream it is not.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,666
    Went for a ride today and slapped on the factor 50. It rained. A lot.
    At least the water beaded nicely off my shins.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• My factor 30 worked perfectly today, despite much melted tarmac. Shame about the legs!
  • The Reimaan stuff I recall didn't get great reviews in a Which? Review a while back. Overpriced, and other cheaper products did just as good a job, and better.

I've used Calypso all day oil for years now, and won't use anything else. Similar to Reimaan in that it's an alcohol type base, but it just works.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Calypso-Once-Protection-Lotion-200ml/dp/B007HKCBO4/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?crid=2GK6M95JEOOSV&keywords=calypso+sun+cream+once+a+day&qid=1686499022&sprefix=calipso,aps,93&sr=8-2
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    I tried the Calypso and the consistency was - yuck!
    Did what it was supposed to though.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    What was wrong with the consistency?
  • pblakeney

What was wrong with the consistency?

Uneven. Part gloopy, part watery. Give a go as it’s cheap enough and decide for yourself.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Did 4 1/2hrs in 30 degrees with my factor 50 slathered on. My pasty skin is still perfectly untanned 😁
  • pblakeney

Did 4 1/2hrs in 30 degrees with my factor 50 slathered on. My pasty skin is still perfectly untanned 😁

No help unless you say which cream/lotion/spray.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Garnier spf 50, mentioned it above thread.
  • pblakeney

Garnier spf 50, mentioned it above thread.

Some of us are at the point where we lose our memory. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Ultrasun Sports Gel clear SPF50
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,916
    Brimmed hat and a white linnen suit.
  • As I clearly have to much time on my hands, one thing I have always thought is whether pro cyclists wear sun cream (thinking TdF and other summer races obviously).

Never seen any noticeably smeared in the stuff, but surely they must otherwise they would burn to a crisp...
  • Brimmed hat and a white linnen suit.

Bicycle clips or do you prefer to take a risk? ;)
  • focuszing723

Brimmed hat and a white linnen suit.

Bicycle clips or do you prefer to take a risk? ;)
    Always clips. I don't want oil on my threads.
  • focuszing723
    Decrease your risk of skin cancers and skin precancers. Regular daily use of SPF 15 sunscreen can reduce your risk of developing squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) by about 40 percent, and lower your melanoma risk by 50 percent.

I think you've got to cover young kids up. I used to get burnt to a crisp as a kid and you can see the damage to my skin. Just look at how immaculate the skin on your feet is.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,666

As I clearly have to much time on my hands, one thing I have always thought is whether pro cyclists wear sun cream (thinking TdF and other summer races obviously).

Never seen any noticeably smeared in the stuff, but surely they must otherwise they would burn to a crisp...

I dunno - whenever I see Roglic or Vingegaard breaking away on the Cat 1 and HC climbs their faces look un-nuturally white. Either all the blood has drained from their skin and gone to their leg muscles, or they are vampires or super-natural beings covered in the highest factor total sunblock.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• I dunno - whenever I see Roglic or Vingegaard breaking away on the Cat 1 and HC climbs their faces look un-nuturally white. Either all the blood has drained from their skin and gone to their leg muscles, or they are vampires or super-natural beings covered in the highest factor total sunblock.

Yeah, having gone back and looked at some pics, you may well be right on those two. Having said that, Vingegaard's natural complexion does look slightly drained of blood, very similar to mine!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    The was some pictures of Chris Froome taking his jersey off which was some sort of mesh fabric and his skin was red from sunburn. Clearly no one had thought that you could get burnt through the holes.
  • pblakeney said:

Are we using the same stuff? I know they do creams and lotions, but the one I refer to isn't a cream, is non-greasy and has very low viscosity. Kinda evaporates quickly when you apply it (bit like hand sanitizer)
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Are we using the same stuff? I know they do creams and lotions, but the one I refer to isn't a cream, is non-greasy and has very low viscosity. Kinda evaporates quickly when you apply it (bit like hand sanitizer)
    It was the Reinman’s liquid knockoff.
    Veronese68 wrote: