How freely should a rear wheel spin

kageds
kageds Posts: 36
Hi, i have out 500 miles on a new set of VEL 50RL aero wheels, but too me the seem to not spin freely as much i thought they would,
Friends mentioned that they need to run in for a few hundred miles, which i,ve done, but spinning the crank they spin but slow down pretty quickly, they dont come to a abrupt halt i would say, and very rarely will they slow down stop and roll slighty backwards (because of the innertube valve weight.
These are the noisy angry bee ones, so im not sure if the pawls themselves slow it down with the friction off them.
if i spin them off the frame and hold the caps there fine, it as if the frame/caps are too tight and compressing against the bearings causing drag,
Thing is its my first pair of these noisy wheel types, is that the way they are supposed to be ?
i have vision 35,sl cartridge bearing wheels amongst others, whilst none one them are as noisy they do spin a lot easier

is this normal

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    How well do they spin if you take the chain off? That will tell you if it's the main bearings or the freehub.
  • kageds
    i,ll give it a try now cheers
  • kageds
    Yes it is better, and it always finds the heaviest part of the wheel, so it will move backwards so it eventually come to stop at the innertube valve
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    Will have to remember to look out for this issue when I finally get round to finishing the setup of my VEL 50 RLs, not exactly a lot of incentive to use them when I'm currently limited to 30mins low-moderate exercise per day, with one day a week of 45mins.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    kageds said:

if i spin them off the frame and hold the caps there fine, it as if the frame/caps are too tight and compressing against the bearings causing drag,
    Thing is its my first pair of these noisy wheel types, is that the way they are supposed to be ?

is this normal

I’m far from an expert but I had this on some wheels which were fine out of the frame. Replaced the hub bearings with a friend who had the right tools and it was fine afterwards (mine didn’t make any difference with the chain on or off)

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    wavefront said:

kageds said:

is this normal

I’m far from an expert but I had this on some wheels which were fine out of the frame. Replaced the hub bearings with a friend who had the right tools and it was fine afterwards (mine didn’t make any difference with the chain on or off)

This makes me wonder if it was the quality of the bearings or that they weren't properly fitted which caused too much drag. Would fitting the original bearings correctly have helped?
    We'll never know of course.
  • kageds
    The bearings are TPI ones i had a look, im going to take then to my LBS to check it over,
    i stripped the wheel down and removed the outer bearings and they seem fine (except the 2 in the hub, which seems a step to far for me ), as i read that some hubs come packed with too much grease, but my hub was fine.
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397

wavefront said:

kageds said:

is this normal

This makes me wonder if it was the quality of the bearings or that they weren't properly fitted which caused too much drag. Would fitting the original bearings correctly have helped?
    We'll never know of course.
    Indeed. It was a ‘pro’ built wheelset with pretty decent / reputable hubs, but as you say we’ll never know. I’m still learning all the time so threads like this interest me to pickup all the little tips, thoughts etc If it happens next time I’ll remember now to try and refit first :)