Is cycling fashion still a thing?

Back in the day when I was more active on this forum looking fashionable on your bike was a thing.
I remember hunting down items from boutique online stores, popping into Condor on me lunch break and I even made a little cycling skirt to go over my leggings.
I still have my cute Mixte panniers from Basil,
I follow Rapha socials, they look very slick and everything but there doesn’t seem to be much of a buzz about fashion nowadays..
I’ve only just returned to cycling tho soooo..

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Yes...

However i think the rapha-isation of cycling is complete though and so most kit is up to speed now. The rise of the "gravel scene" even means there is some half decent non-skin tight stuff available for those of us who can't pull that off...

(plus, all the garish horrible 90s kits all wore out)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Ahh the gravel bike scene, I must admit that the youtuber KeepSmillingAdventures is part of the reason I returned to cycling. His bikepacking trips are so inspiring and beautiful to watch. I’m firmly in the cycle touring camp tho (No pun intended) and have no idea how people stay warm in a tent tbh so I won’t be bikepacking any time soon!! 😄
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    The most important thing in cycling now is to dress like a sausage.

I still wear what I did 10 years ago. Unless I wear some of my old gear.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,801
    Is cycling fashion still a thing?

I hope not, but probably.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    I don't think I've ever been accused of being fashionable, why am I looking at this thread?
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    I don't know about fashion but trends are annoying, shorts that come almost all the way down to the knee and s/s jerseys that are cut just above the elbow are something I really don't want.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    edited June 2023
    If you really want to be fashionable you can drop some silly money on stuff like Pas Normal, and you’ll look just like the trust fund TikTokers who put out cycling content.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,143
    Or MAAP, Attaquer, Universal Colours, Black Sheep etc. - there are plenty of top end trendy brands that have appeared in the last few years following in Rapha's wake.

Definitely draw the line at bar bags - never going to stick one of them on my aero bars like so many do!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

I don't know about fashion but trends are annoying, shorts that come almost all the way down to the knee and s/s jerseys that are cut just above the elbow are something I really don't want.

Why do modern jerseys have their pockets so high up. I have some ( given as presents) that I have to take off the get things out of the pockets.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited June 2023
    I think it's much more popular now and covers such a broad range of demographics that 'fashion' is now more niche than it was before.

Historically the trends covered almost everyone who was getting into cycling and cared about these sorts of things. 10y ago it was 'all black everything' - I think the term "murdered out" was used, then sock height & plain white socks, then rapha came along + a load of similar minimalist sbrands, then lace up shoes, then luminous / fluoro clothing, then larger sunglasses, then aero helmets.

It feels now that there is no glaring trend that everyone is following (other than disc brakes ;).

My current wish list is this top:

https://www.biehler-cycling.com/en/men/shop-by-category/jerseys/1141/technical-jersey-spray-can

• First.Aspect

I think it's much more popular now and covers such a broad range of demographics that 'fashion' is now more niche than it was before.

Historically the trends covered almost everyone who was getting into cycling and cared about these sorts of things. 10y ago it was 'all black everything' - I think the term "murdered out" was used, then sock height & plain white socks, then rapha came along + a load of similar minimalist sbrands, then lace up shoes, then luminous / fluoro clothing, then larger sunglasses, then aero helmets.

It feels now that there is no glaring trend that everyone is following (other than disc brakes ;).

https://www.biehler-cycling.com/en/men/shop-by-category/jerseys/1141/technical-jersey-spray-can

You'd look like a brightly coloured sausage.

• rick_chasey

Or MAAP, Attaquer, Universal Colours, Black Sheep etc. - there are plenty of top end trendy brands that have appeared in the last few years following in Rapha's wake.

Definitely draw the line at bar bags - never going to stick one of them on my aero bars like so many do!

I only single out Pas Normal as they charge £250 for a pair of shorts.
  • shirley_basso
    edited June 2023

You'd look like a brightly coloured sausage.

I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing, plus I'm not THAT fat
  • First.Aspect

Not all that much these days tbh.

One thing that annoys me, aside from the aerosausage thing, is that high end seems to equate to being for hot weather.

Er, we live on a windy island in the Atlantic?

The only alternative is gravel stuff which appears suited, if you are lucky, to a cooler summer day in Tuscon. But then it's going to be green or olive and you will be forced wear shorts with a hip pocket.
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,077

Bar bags on aero bikes makes me laugh. I have no problem with people needing extra storage but on an aero bike at least go for a frame/saddle/top tube bag rather than pissing ALL the engineer's work up the wall.
  • shirley_basso
    I'd rather starve to death than put a top tube bag on my bike.
  • shirley_basso

Bar bags on aero bikes makes me laugh. I have no problem with people needing extra storage but on an aero bike at least go for a frame/saddle/top tube bag rather than pissing ALL the engineer's work up the wall.
    You mean marketing department, surely?
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,499

Wow, that's not normal....
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,499
    edited June 2023
    There's nothing wrong with looking good IMO, and having some best gear for the sunny cafe ride - but if I ride multiple times a week then I need multiple pairs of shorts, multiple shirts etc then they can't all be £350 a set...

Matching LeCol on the turbo anyone?
  • rick_chasey

Not all that much these days tbh.

One thing that annoys me, aside from the aerosausage thing, is that high end seems to equate to being for hot weather.

Er, we live on a windy island in the Atlantic?

The only alternative is gravel stuff which appears suited, if you are lucky, to a cooler summer day in Tuscon. But then it's going to be green or olive and you will be forced wear shorts with a hip pocket.
    Not looking in the right places.

They all do long sleeve/jacket versions of their tops and associated shorts/tights and arm/leg warmers.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,416

Ahh the gravel bike scene, I must admit that the youtuber KeepSmillingAdventures is part of the reason I returned to cycling. His bikepacking trips are so inspiring and beautiful to watch. I’m firmly in the cycle touring camp tho (No pun intended) and have no idea how people stay warm in a tent tbh so I won’t be bikepacking any time soon!! 😄

Josh is out on his Sonder or Bombtrack rain or shine. Don’t know how he does it. Must be all the Ginsters.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,361

I donned a Giordana jersey yesterday for the first time in a while as I wanted something loose to keep me cool even though the material would indicate otherwise.
    It kept me cool and I started to work out when I bought it and it was 1997.
    It still looks good though.

The one person missing on this thread is... tan tan taaaa! @daniel_b
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    To be fair it wasn't unreasonable that we stopped wearing flouro team kit. Rapha couldn't do that because it wouldn't print on to merino wool so they had to go back to normal block colour which, frankly, looks better on most of us.

The rest was black and white filters and, it must be said, outstanding marketing. Now everyone else has caught up.

I mean, fkin state of this...

versus...

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,801
    pinno said:

I donned a Giordana jersey yesterday for the first time in a while as I wanted something loose to keep me cool even though the material would indicate otherwise.

I wore one of my Giro jerseys last week. 87th Giro, 2004. I also have a 1995 yellow Once jersey that still fits, gets used and looks as good as new. Fashion? Pah!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • seanoconn said:

Ahh the gravel bike scene, I must admit that the youtuber KeepSmillingAdventures is part of the reason I returned to cycling. His bikepacking trips are so inspiring and beautiful to watch. I’m firmly in the cycle touring camp tho (No pun intended) and have no idea how people stay warm in a tent tbh so I won’t be bikepacking any time soon!! 😄

Josh is out on his Sonder or Bombtrack rain or shine. Don’t know how he does it. Must be all the Ginsters.
    Yes the chicken tikka Ginsters 😄
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,361
    pblakeney said:

pinno said:

I wore one of my Giro jerseys last week. 87th Giro, 2004. I also have a 1995 yellow Once jersey that still fits, gets used and looks as good as new. Fashion? Pah!
    Funny dat. I have an Once jersey from '97 signed by David Etxebarria (fantastic story behind that one) which i'll never wear. Must frame it when I do out my man cave shed thingy wotsit.
    There's always Prendas. I have a Cicli Pinarello retro jersey. It's too good to wear.

Back to the modern stuff - Castelli pockets are too high and too tight. That's the thing I noticed with the Giordana yesterday. I didn't have to stop once to pick something up I had dropped whilst trying to wrestle stuff in or out of my back pockets.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    TBH I don't like the old trend for jersey's really low at the back.
  • First.Aspect

It's so that when you are super aero you dont get a cold back.

It's all just aspiration marketing though isn't it? Dress like your heroes, ride like your heroes. Even if you look like a chipolata.

CR7 goods.

Mercedes Petronas clothing.

Etc.
  • rick_chasey

It's so that when you are super aero you dont get a cold back.

It's all just aspiration marketing though isn't it? Dress like your heroes, ride like your heroes. Even if you look like a chipolata.

CR7 goods.

Mercedes Petronas clothing.

Etc.
    Nah I find when I have heavy pockets they swing about when I'm out f the saddle.

Easier to have them higher up so less of pendulum.