Anti-seize paste and recommended torque for thru axle

alxb
alxb Posts: 15
Hi guys, I'd like to upgrade the tyres on my Specialized roubaix 2022 and since it's my first carbon bike I'm wondering how to install the thru axle correctly.

Should I use anti-seize paste or grease for the thru axle?
If I do, will it affect the recommended torque?

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    Grease, and no, it won't affect the recommended torque. There should already be grease on the thru axle. If not, you want a thin film over the length of the axle and some on both the head and the threads.
  • alxb
    alxb Posts: 15
    How come recommended torque is not affected by the grease?
    I think that when it is greased there will be less friction so less force will be needed to tighten the piece.
    So for the same torque you will have higher tension in the greased thread that the one not greased. Am I missing something?

Saw also an interesting article, I think it makes sense :

http://www.smartbolts.com/insights/impact-lubricants-torque-readings/#:~:text=Lubricants ease the amount of,use your energy more efficiently.

In all case it's a good point that there will be allreally grease on the axle, so I don't have to worry about buying.
  • Grease and go with what the thru axle says .As a general rule I always go .5 under the recommended .
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    alxb said:

I think that when it is greased there will be less friction so less force will be needed to tighten the piece.
    So for the same torque you will have higher tension in the greased thread that the one not greased. Am I missing something?

http://www.smartbolts.com/insights/impact-lubricants-torque-readings/#:~:text=Lubricants ease the amount of,use your energy more efficiently.

In all case it's a good point that there will be allreally grease on the axle, so I don't have to worry about buying.

So when you see a mechanic changing a wheel in a professional race, do they get the torque wrench out to check it. Or do they just make sure it’s tight.
    Sometimes you can over think these things.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,901
    webboo said:

alxb said:

So when you see a mechanic changing a wheel in a professional race, do they get the torque wrench out to check it. Or do they just make sure it’s tight.
    Sometimes you can over think these things.
    Bet they don't use grease either.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,461
    Just a smear of grease on the threads and a little on the shaft to keep it all smooth. Don't yank it up tight with your Wera wrenches as you might not be able to undo it out in the wilds with your shorter multi-tool. #toptip

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.