Brake lever play

Hi guys..I just bought a carrera hellcat 29 er bike..used but in excellent condition. I notice that the rear brake lever has a little bit of play in it before brakes are applied. Brakes are disc back and front..front brake perfect, no play in lever..is there a way I can take away this slight play? I think thr person used the rear brakes more then the front..ta

Comments

• wilberforce
    wilberforce Posts: 315
    Don't know how proficient you are at maintenance but first thing to check would be wear of the rear brake pads. If they are worn, change them. Assuming brakes are hydraulic, clean around pistons to ensure they are both free and next on the list is to bleed the brakes to remove any air from system.
  • Brake pads are fine...and brakes work good...just a little loose travel in the brake lever before brakes are engaged..I think its the pivot point is a bit loose..wish I could post a vid of issue?
  • trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 470
    See if the reach screw will take up any travel on it
  • Anyone?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Are the brakes cable. If so I have similar on road levers when are pulling the brake on the caliper doesn’t return to the fully open position on release. Either the cable is dragging somewhere or the caliper is sticking
  • webboo said:

Are the brakes cable. If so I have similar on road levers when are pulling the brake on the caliper doesn’t return to the fully open position on release. Either the cable is dragging somewhere or the caliper is sticking

They are Clarks hydro iirc on that bike .
  • trevor.hall12
    trevor.hall12 Posts: 470
    edited June 2023

Anyone?

Have you tried the reach adjustment ? Looks pretty far out from the grip to me
    Assuming it's clarks Clout

• Anyone?

Have you tried the reach adjustment ? Looks pretty far out from the grip to me
    Assuming it's clarks Clout
    I'll have a go this weekend 😌