ride cafes lazing bubbly
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    Morning Pachyrhizus

Stunning blue skies and no wind!
    ...and that's the forecast here for the whole week :smile:
    Except now wating for an orthopaedics referral so I don't know how much pedalling I can do without discomfort. I'll give it a bash though.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Pretending to sleep while the missus clears up our mess in the kitchen won’t win me many brownie points. I better get up.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pinno
    seanoconn said:

Pretending to sleep while the missus clears up our mess in the kitchen won’t win me many brownie points. I better get up.

Sneaky but worth a try.
  • beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,533
    Off to get my bike for the day shortly. They hire pre-loaded Garmins, so I shouldn't get too lost.
  • seanoconn
    edited May 2023

Pic from yesterdays walk while being pooped on by crazed starlings having a massive Barney in the trees above.

Bonus point for anyone who can guess the red plant in the grass?
  • beansnikpoh
    Dunno, but there's a load on the common. I wondered what it was myself.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,603
    Slow day expected - hound and garden related activity expected at some point, but as its not very warm or sunny yet, coffee and lazing is the order of the day.

No idea about the question from the Monty Don of Wimbledon.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128
    brrr windycold and not much sun

cafe stroll
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Afternoon folks, different kind of slow start for me. Up before 7 and wobbled to Box Hill and back with cousins and friends. Not a fast ride, but the furthest I've been this year which is very remiss of me. But I've got excuses, feeble as they may be.
    Not very warm out and rather blowy, sun is out now thankfully.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,196
    Ride rided, sunny and warm, v little wind. Legs slowly getting some form back, double climb, feeling better.

Ma Swan has a least 1 tiny wean in the nest 👍

The shitespreaders are active in the fields beside and behind, will be a tad aromatic outside for the rest of the day. Enjoy the sun vs clip the nose?
  • veronese68
    There was a swan nest on one of the ponds I pass in Bushy Park last year, they fenced it off to protect it. The swans were still sitting on it well into the summer, but the eggs never hatched unfortunately.
    Did see some cygnets and lots of ducklings as we wobbled up the Wet a couple of weeks ago.
  • beansnikpoh
    Sunny here after a chilly start. I didn't get lost, and I didn't die, though the latter was a close run thing.

Strava says 38km and a few metres short of 1200m climbing.

I'll definitely need a mountain bike if I want to ride off-road, but not really sure about that now. It's lethal and joyless. You're either climbing with no traction on crud and getting battered about by loose rocks from half brick to boulder size. Then you're descending on crud and getting thrown off course by those same rocks (and roots) but at a higher speed. Maybe I started too difficult, but give me tarmac any day.

Nice views though, with obligatory ponies.

• beansnikpoh
    Oh, and my wrists and shoulders are ruined too.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,196

Oh, and my wrists and shoulders are ruined too.

Go gravel. I like it.
  • veronese68
    Wrist strengthening exercises?
  • Stevo_666
    edited May 2023

Sunny here after a chilly start. I didn't get lost, and I didn't die, though the latter was a close run thing.

I'll definitely need a mountain bike if I want to ride off-road, but not really sure about that now. It's lethal and joyless.

It is if you try to do it on something with no suspension and no knobbly tyres.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • beansnikpoh
    I had a mountain bike. Massive knobbly tyres and front suspension.
  • seanoconn

Dunno, but there's a load on the common. I wondered what it was myself.

Stevo_666 said:

Slow day expected - hound and garden related activity expected at some point, but as its not very warm or sunny yet, coffee and lazing is the order of the day.

No idea about the question from the Monty Don of Wimbledon.

Red sorrel
  • seanoconn

I'll definitely need a mountain bike if I want to ride off-road, but not really sure about that now. It's lethal and joyless. You're either climbing with no traction on crud and getting battered about by loose rocks from half brick to boulder size. Then you're descending on crud and getting thrown off course by those same rocks (and roots) but at a higher speed. Maybe I started too difficult, but give me tarmac any day.

Nice views though, with obligatory ponies.

Gorgeous 👍
  • Stevo_666

Ah, OK. Maybe MTBing isn't for you then...
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    sungod said:

'ning

forecast cooler cloudier, bask unlikely

Forecast said the same here but:

so I've got some of those Monday's special burnt ears.

10 degrees or so of windchill though so definitely brrr windycold.

• beansnikpoh
    thistle_ said:

sungod said:

'ning

Looks like you were higher than me.
  • beansnikpoh
    Stevo_666 said:

Maybe it's just an adjustment of expectation. I like to press on, not worry about my imminent demise. I stayed rubber side down. I bailed on 3 stretches of rocky downhill single track where the sides were too high and pedal strike was inevitable. Some bits were fine, but it's way more stressful than swooping on tarmac.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Maybe it's just an adjustment of expectation. I like to press on, not worry about my imminent demise. I stayed rubber side down. I bailed on 3 stretches of rocky downhill single track where the sides were too high and pedal strike was inevitable. Some bits were fine, but it's way more stressful than swooping on tarmac.
    It's more of an intense experience doing MTB and you're on your toes most of the time given the frequency of obstacles etc. Roadie riding is more relaxing mentally as you can get into the zone and just keep an eye out for the odd pothole. I like both.
  • beansnikpoh
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

It's more of an intense experience doing MTB and you're on your toes most of the time given the frequency of obstacles etc. Roadie riding is more relaxing mentally as you can get into the zone and just keep an eye out for the odd pothole. I like both.
    It was the first time I've done it. I'll give it a few more goes before writing it off completely. I found the strain on my wrists and shoulders on the downhills (especially the one I've separated) really quite distracting.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,082
    More coastal running / recce - knackered but feel better than yesterday when I died on my arse after 8 miles with significantly more to go

Nice lunch at a friends place in abersoch and then pub when we got back
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

It was the first time I've done it. I'll give it a few more goes before writing it off completely. I found the strain on my wrists and shoulders on the downhills (especially the one I've separated) really quite distracting.
    Good call, try some different routes and maybe a full sus bike. The wrist and shoulder thing might get better with a bit of practice, but try to 'stay loose' and not grip the bars too hard etc - easy to tense up and hang on tight without thinking.
  • pinno
    thistle_ said:

sungod said:

'ning

Yay! It's Thistle.
  • pinno
    edited May 2023
    *** 25+ post alert @seanoconn ***