How to gain confidence descending?

2»

Comments

• davebradswmb
    davebradswmb Posts: 518
    I think that I am a reasonably good descender, I have ridden hilly sportives such as the Fred and the Dragon Ride, and also the Etape, and I pass way more riders than ever pass me. However I have been occasionally passed by someone going into a corner who was going way faster than me so I think that I am still a fair way off being a really fast descender.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    davidof said:

amrushton said:

I've seen v.few great descenders in my time but a lot who thought they were. Often find people who have ridden motorbikes to have the right skills. Just get down safely is my thought

I decend slower on my motorbike than on my road bike because I find the thing too damn heavy and the brakes hard work.

As the OP claims to descend at 80kph on his gravel bike I can't see what his issue is. 80kph is pro speed, more or less, and if you come off at that kind of speed it is going to hurt... a lot.
    Good spot - a gnats whisker off 50mph - it must be the bike fit or the bike itself.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    I think the issue is that the OP can't hit those speeds on his road bike, which in theory should be faster.
  • I think the issue is that the OP can't hit those speeds on his road bike, which in theory should be faster.

For the purpose of self preservation, that is probably a good thing!
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,694

davidof said:

amrushton said:

I've seen v.few great descenders in my time but a lot who thought they were. Often find people who have ridden motorbikes to have the right skills. Just get down safely is my thought

I decend slower on my motorbike than on my road bike because I find the thing too damn heavy and the brakes hard work.

As the OP claims to descend at 80kph on his gravel bike I can't see what his issue is. 80kph is pro speed, more or less, and if you come off at that kind of speed it is going to hurt... a lot.
    Good spot - a gnats whisker off 50mph - it must be the bike fit or the bike itself.
    "Pro speed" isn't about sitting on a bike and benefiting from gravity, its about the corners.

As a firm believer in the gyroscopic effect, 80 kph doesn't seem that fast, if it is on an open straighish road I know well. But it is utterly terrifying at other times.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    edited June 2023
    Agreed. Going over 80 kmph on the straight between hairpins is easy if the straight relatively steep and long enough. The key is knowing when and how hard to brake along with which line to take.
    It must be easy as I’ve done it. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.