Cassette wear

skeetam
skeetam Posts: 178
I run two sets of wheels and I've changed the cassette on the other wheelset. Would you say this wheelset requires a new cassette too? It's probably only done 2k miles. The chain is new also.

The middle cogs do seem like the recesses have got wider and the tooth tips narrower.

Comments

• Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 668
    I only change a cassette if I fit a new chain then find it's skipping. I've never worn a chain and cassette to the point where the sprocket teeth were visibly worn away.

2000 miles is bugger all on a road bike cassette. If it isn't skipping with the new chain I'd say it's fine
  • skeetam
    skeetam Posts: 178
    edited May 2023
    Munsford0 said:

I only change a cassette if I fit a new chain then find it's skipping. I've never worn a chain and cassette to the point where the sprocket teeth were visibly worn away.

2000 miles is censored all on a road bike cassette. If it isn't skipping with the new chain I'd say it's fine

It's not skipping, just sounds noisy in those middle ones and wondered if, visually someone could see they were worn?
  • pep.fermi
    pep.fermi Posts: 383
    I spent years searching for smart a way to tell if a used cassette is to be thrown away - other than it jumps when installing a new chain. Someone suggested to me the teeth of a worn cassette look no longer symmetric (one angle rounded, the other still sharp).

Recently I gave up my search, when a pro bike mechanics confessed he doesn't know a way either (again: other than installing a new chain and noticing it slips).

A chain lasts longer than 2000 miles, and a cassette lasts longer than a chain (though I know some cyclists replace the cassette every time they replace the chain).
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 668
    In the past I've eyeballed the outgoing, skipping cassette, and couldn't see any obvious wear.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    edited May 2023
    pep.fermi said:

A chain lasts longer than 2000 miles, and a cassette lasts longer than a chain (though I know some cyclists replace the cassette every time they replace the chain).

Old school rule of thumb used to be 3 chains for one cassette. A cassette usually last me more than 3 chains to no detriment though, and usually a chain lasts me 3000 miles/one year*.

*Edit - Checked using a tool.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I'm currently on my 4th chain on the same cassette. I used to run a chain until it was affecting shifting, at that point the cassette would also be shot and a new chain would skip. I now use a chain checker and replace when they drop in at .75 and get far longer out of my cassettes.