monday mingling world lines

'ning

cafe stroll, wfh, laze, bubbly
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    Monday mingling roof tiles para mi.

🤞 the next phase of The Project due to start today ("probably") when roofers / scaffolders et al show up for the roof retiling. Dry weather forecast for a while as well. Not a complex roof but who knows what devilment might be uncovered.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,150
    Morning Cachinnating cockatoos

Sunny (yay!) but windy (boo!).
    Which means indoor pedal seen as my back is a little better today.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,105
    Decent walk with hounds, already too many meetings.

Cycle or run later, in between work and hope the current wife deals with the children
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,241
    Morning stragglers, managed a nice pre work ride this morning despite overdoing the garden beers yesterday and I need to rewatch the Giro highlights from yesterday as I fell asleep.
    Work for the majority of the day and I think a stroll this evening.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Morning.
    Dogs walked and house cleaned. Trip in to town this afternoon and as there’s no cycling to watch, might have to watch the bouldering World Cup instead.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,843
    Presentations to the Big Cheeses done, can relax now. Bagged a trip to Tokyo this summer in the process, not a bad result.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,533
    Stevo_666 said:

Presentations to the Big Cheeses done, can relax now. Bagged a trip to Tokyo this summer in the process, not a bad result.

Nice. I enjoyed my week this time last year trying to eat everything in Tokyo. Dunno if it was just the expenses policy of my ex-employer, but I went for 3 or 4 dinners with colleagues, and was presented with a bill a couple of days later. The only one I didn't have to cough up for was with the really senior people in finance.

I only really had one day free, and a couple of colleagues showed me and the head of accounting a few bits of the city. I loved it.
  • Stevo_666
    edited May 2023

Stevo_666 said:

Nice. I enjoyed my week this time last year trying to eat everything in Tokyo. Dunno if it was just the expenses policy of my ex-employer, but I went for 3 or 4 dinners with colleagues, and was presented with a bill a couple of days later. The only one I didn't have to cough up for was with the really senior people in finance.

I only really had one day free, and a couple of colleagues showed me and the head of accounting a few bits of the city. I loved it.
    I think your ex lot were just tightwads, people who have been over recently got fed and watered on the local tab. Not been to Tokyo in a while so should be good. Mind you there'll be a fair bit of work involved as we've finally got some traction again on creating a global tax function.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,735
    Evening folks,
    Busy day in the orifice with a pleasant enough wobble at either end. Shame the bit in between was so tedious. Day out to visit one of our main suppliers tomorrow, Witney is not as exciting as Tokyo but at least I'll get lunch.
    Trying to set up the EPO's new phone, I'm not great with technology but unfortunately much better than her.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    No mingling of the roof tiles 😢 Roofer job start gone back 2 weeks. Ho hum. Erse, it's dry this week...
  • beansnikpoh
    orraloon said:

No mingling of the roof tiles 😢 Roofer job start gone back 2 weeks. Ho hum. Erse, it's dry this week...

Dry and warm for 6 weeks I saw earlier.
  • Stevo_666

orraloon said:

Dry and warm for 6 weeks I saw earlier.
    That's in England...
  • beansnikpoh
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I think your ex lot were just tightwads, people who have been over recently got fed and watered on the local tab. Not been to Tokyo in a while so should be good. Mind you there'll be a fair bit of work involved as we've finally got some traction again on creating a global tax function.
    I wasn't sure whether you'd already been.

I spent 5 days, 12 hours a day in the office while I was there.

I'm now a global tax function, well, me and my half great/half not-so-great team. Still coming to terms with it.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I wasn't sure whether you'd already been.

I spent 5 days, 12 hours a day in the office while I was there.

I'm now a global tax function, well, me and my half great/half not-so-great team. Still coming to terms with it.
    Most normal multinationals are set up like that but to get a Japanese one to do the same probably counts as an achievement in its own right. Luckily the current Global CFO knows me from his time in Treasury and we see eye to eye.

Took me time to turn a department I inherited into one that I built but pays dividends in the end. Depends whether you like the place enough to stick around I guess.