Wheel replacement for Easton EC90 SLX

I've had the Eastons on my bike for probably a decade and the rims are beginning to go, so I'm looking for some replacements. I'm not averse to aero but obviously the Eastons are just over 1400g so weight is a factor, especially as I'm small and only weigh ~58kg myself.

Any tips, and also on where one might buy wheels at a discount? I'm not fussed about them being this year's hottest thing or anything.

Comments

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    At the moment, the best I seem to have found is the Bontrager Aeolus Elite 50 and the Specialized ROVAL CL 50, but any improvements on those are much appreciated.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,578
    edited May 2023
    Personally, off the shelf, I'd be looking at Cero, Scribe, Winspace Hyper.

I ended up getting some 2nd hand Enves for a really good price, and on another bike I wanted super light wheels, so had an indepth conversation with Mark at Spokesman wheels, and he built me some LOVELY 30mm disc brake wheels only just slipping into 4 figures, as I upgraded to Tune hubs for extra weight saving, and these wheels that are clinchers tipped the scales at around 1250g.
    Over the stock wheels/rotors, tyres and tubes, I think I have saved at least 1kg.

Had I not gone for the Tune hubs they would have been a bit heavier, and around (Probably lower actually) the price as the other wheels I mentioned above.

Your weight gives you quite an advantage as to what could be built for you, maximising lightness but still sturdy enough for you.
    Presuming it is a rim brake bike, I'd be intrigued to see what weight a 50mm clincher rim could be built up for you - potentially less than the weight of my 30mm disc ones I wonder.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • phreak
    edited May 2023
    The other thing to perhaps mention is that I'm going to Italy for some riding in about 6 weeks so would need the wheels all setup and tested before then. I imagined that was going to mean buying off the shelf rather than custom-built (my budget is also limited to perhaps £1,000 max).

*edit, yeah, it's a rim brake setup.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,624
    I'd go with someone like Scribe who use pretty conventional spokes etc. And ask for a couple of spares.

There's not much to chose between all the options above, tbh.

Zed wheels is another one, but I don't know if he carries a stock of pre builts.
  • phreak
    Thanks all. Scribe do look great so I'll give them a go.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,578
    Spokesman also uses conventional spokes, and I'm sure could include some spare spokes if you asked.

He'll tell you if he has stock of what you are after, and when I ordered his turn around was slightly under two weeks.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    Parcours also get excellent reviews.
  • phreak
    phreak said:

Thanks all. Scribe do look great so I'll give them a go.

Thanks guys. The Scribe wheels arrived yesterday and look great. Much better value than the big brands.