Click when putting power on left crank only?

Mike_Mac
Mike_Mac Posts: 42
So I have a click only when I put power on the left side.
  • I've changed pedals
  • Tightened chain ring bolts
  • and there is no give in the cranks .
  • Its not the chain...

https://youtube.com/shorts/FMLHoYyVe6s?feature=share

Bottom bracket has literally less than 1000km on it - I cant think of anything else....

Anyone?

Mike

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Something on the right crank or spider catching the r/h chain stay?
    Both feet are on pedals so can't rule out right side based on the evidence. Could even be cleat clicking in pedal (are they SPD?).
  • Mike_Mac
    edited May 2023
    Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm wearing SPD on the left and a SPD-SL road cleat on the right (!) but happened when there was a SPD-SL on the left too -

I've subsequently found I can get the sound with only putting power down on the left side when stationary and holding brakes, so nothing catching.

It seems to happen exactly in the same place - I'm presuming that that would be consistent to the bottom bracket needing some anti seize compound? Its a Ti frame, I understand that this is a thing...

M

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Check out your saddle rails
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Teeth on the bigger chain ring (when not being used) just catching the front derailleur ?
  • Mike_Mac
    Thanks, both - I'll check. I have subsequently over tightened the preload, so I'm gonna have to take the cranks off. I may as well reinstall the BB when I'm there. I seen that I should use anti seize with Ti frames.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    May sound silly but I had a similar situation last week. The culprit was the headset. Does it happen when hands free?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Do you have QR wheels - if so then check, grease and replace these. Just a process of elimination which should also include seatpost clamp, bottle cage bolts, spokes, freehub bearing etc etc. Trying with a different set of wheels if you can is the quickest way to eliminate this.