DIY bicycle repair anyone?

pep.fermi
pep.fermi Posts: 383
Got an ugly clik click BB noise on my roadie. Started very minor and after few 100s km it gradually became horrible. Convinced myself it was the BB (pressfit), and had to be replaced. Bought all tools online (expensive), and a new BB (cheap). Watched all Park Tool videos on BB etc.

But before I did the job myself (never removed a BB or installed one myself, ever), I whad the scrupolus to chat with my LBS.

Him: "You sure it's not the pedals?"
Me: "Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuure."

Well, LBS changed the pedals, noise gone and all perfect now, costed peanuts.
Actually they charged me more than double what they "should" have, still happy it was not the BB (would have been of course much more expensive).
And of course a huge blow to my pride as amateur bike mechanics.
But hey, still happy....

Bottom line: if you do DIY repair, but are not really proficient, it's likely it will cost you more time, stress, and money than asking a shop. Sad but true.

Comments

• aberdeen_lune
    aberdeen_lune Posts: 547
    You do t know how to change your pedals?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Last time I had a click click click noise with every revolution it turned out to be the headset. Bike maintenance is easy, diagnosis is hard.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pep.fermi

You do t know how to change your pedals?

This I do.
    But I was convinced it was the BB, that's why I (almost) attempted to change it.
    I don't even know if I should feel happy, because the solution was easier and cheaper than I believed, or miserable, because my pride as amateur bike mechanic has been so badly damaged. I'll go with the first, but...🤔😔
  • Having had issues with a few BB's I would say that in general, when the BB is the issue, it is usually pretty apparent i.e. there is usually play or grinding if the bearings have gone or the BB is misaligned and it is noticeable every time you turn the cranks. Minor creaks and squeaks tend to be caused by other less serious issues.

I know there are a few forum members who are proficient at removing/installing BB's, personally I leave it to a bike shop as I know I would fluff it up!
  • davebradswmb
    davebradswmb Posts: 518
    I've equipped myself with all the tools I need to do any work on my bike, and I wouldn't be happy letting anybody else do it. However I have been working on my own bikes since I started riding nearly 50 years ago, and this lead to me becoming an engineer so I am not typical. Even so I haven't always diagnosed issues accurately and I have had to change more than one component to cure the problem, you do learn from your mistakes though and this is where a mechanic has an advantage, they will have usually come across your problem before.

BB noises can be difficult to diagnose, and carbon frames seem to make it harder, they amplify any creaks and clicks whatever the source, and the sound always seems to come from the BB area.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,693

I've equipped myself with all the tools I need to do any work on my bike, and I wouldn't be happy letting anybody else do it. However I have been working on my own bikes since I started riding nearly 50 years ago, and this lead to me becoming an engineer so I am not typical. Even so I haven't always diagnosed issues accurately and I have had to change more than one component to cure the problem, you do learn from your mistakes though and this is where a mechanic has an advantage, they will have usually come across your problem before.

BB noises can be difficult to diagnose, and carbon frames seem to make it harder, they amplify any creaks and clicks whatever the source, and the sound always seems to come from the BB area.

What do you do when someone brings out a new standard, or puts a marginally different knurled pattern on something?

I swear that Park Tools secretly invested widely across the industry so they have people on the board of every component maker.
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 668
    +1 on the carbon frames thing. One long ride I was getting a regular creak every revolution of the pedals. Regardless of gear so not a chain or drivetrain thing. Happened seated or standing so not saddle related? Unclipped left foot and pedalled only with the right, then tried the reverse - still creaking either way, so unlikely to be pedal or cleat? Still happened with hands off the bars, so reasoned it's not them or the headset? Convinced it had to the the bottom bracket, and got as far as googling for potential replacements when I got home. Fortunately before ordering one I had another look / listen and realised it was the leather straps of the Brooks saddlebag creaking as the bike rocked side to side :s
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Don’t buy the new standard?
    How many new standards are now obsolete?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,666
    If you have one bike then DIY is probably not worth it for most people unless you are keen and mechanically minded.
    We currently have 6 bikes and over the last 10 years the kids have had various bikes as they have grown (all their bikes were 2nd hand and later sold on). So for me, yes, it is worth it. Even so, there are some BB tools that are not worth me buying so I use my very good LBS. Also my wife now has an eBike so she uses the shop for servicing to keep up the warranty on the motor etc.
    Yes, tracking down creaks and noises can be hit and miss even for seasoned mechanics. Always best to try the easiest/cheapest fix and work on from there. Shame my car mechanics don't have the same philosophy - they just swap parts now until the fix is made and we carry the costs.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505
    Munsford0 said:

+1 on the carbon frames thing. One long ride I was getting a regular creak every revolution of the pedals. Regardless of gear so not a chain or drivetrain thing. Happened seated or standing so not saddle related? Unclipped left foot and pedalled only with the right, then tried the reverse - still creaking either way, so unlikely to be pedal or cleat? Still happened with hands off the bars, so reasoned it's not them or the headset? Convinced it had to the the bottom bracket, and got as far as googling for potential replacements when I got home. Fortunately before ordering one I had another look / listen and realised it was the leather straps of the Brooks saddlebag creaking as the bike rocked side to side :s

Munsford0 said:

Once went through a very similar process, removed BB, re greased, put back together with corect torque etc and problem remained. The source? . . . a knackered quick link!
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Mike_Mac
    Mike_Mac Posts: 46
    Similar to the post above, I often find clicks from that area are drive chain related. A good clean and oil and they disappear.... you ruled that out? Have you got the old pedals? I'm surprised that noise would come from them tbh
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 668
    Back when I had SPD pedals on road bikes I used to effectively silence clicks and squeaks from the pedal interface with a quick squirt of wax based furniture polish
  • pep.fermi
    Mike_Mac said:

A good clean and oil and they disappear.... you ruled that out? Have you got the old pedals? I'm surprised that noise would come from them tbh

Don't really know why but yes, I ruled the pedals out at first. Somehow I convinced myself it was BB. My mate agreed.
    LBS changed pedals - and did nothing else - problem gone.

Again: happy the solution was so cheap simple easy. But my pride as amateur DIY bike mechanics has suffered.

With the gap between me and any random LBS being what it is, perhaps in future I should not even bother attempting DIY again, other than the very minimal like changing tires, chain, cassette, brake pads.