GRC1400 on an all road Ti bike?

Hi everyone,

I'm wanted to get the advise of this well informed community before investing in a new set of hoops.

In short : Should I buy the GRC1400 above for my Ribble GCR Ti

Context - I sold my merida 8000e because it was just too aggressive position for my aging bones and started not suiting my style of riding. (at 47 I can smash it with the young guns on group rides, but I started to enjoy more comfortable rising and spending a long time in the saddle)
Even before selling it I found myself wanting to ride the GCR Ti more - I initially bought it "just" for multi day tours, but now I kinda like the geometry and will likely not buy another bike with race geometry.
So here's my question : I'm thinking that those GRC1400 wheels would be the ultimate touring wheel as well as give me aero gains on the road. I'd probably put 32mm GP5000 on them and I'd ride them everywhere.

Thoughts form this well informed group?

Mike

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    What are they replacing?
  • Mike_Mac
    Mike_Mac Posts: 42
    Hope 20FIVE RS4 - 32 spoke.
    To be fair, they are solid wheels, with a hub that is incredible. And well suited to bike packing.
  • Mike_Mac

What are they replacing?

Hope 20FIVE RS4 - 32 spoke.
    To be fair, they are solid wheels, with a hub that is incredible. And well suited to bike packing.
  • First.Aspect
    Just looked them up. Similar weight to the DT Swiss and 42mm rim depth isn't going to be detectably more aero, and the bike isn't aero at all. So you'll be spending quite a lot of money to replace a decent set of gravel wheels with a more or less equivalent decent set of gravel wheels.

So it depends how much you want carbon wheels.

But for cosmetics and having a spare set of wheels for road only use, you can get lighter and cheaper for the same depth.

• Mike_Mac
    Thanks for your thoughts First.Aspect.
    I don't really want to go down that road of two wheel sets for the same bike - (I find it a pain when swapping frequently) .
    I kind of hoped that there would be gains in aero & comfort in having the DT Swiss with slicks over the current set up - Granted, I'd only likely get aero gains on the road.

To your point - I'm really unsure what gains there are to be had with super relaxed geometry like the GCR Ti - You really recon none?

Mike
  • First.Aspect
    edited May 2023
    Don't know if the geo has much to do with it, other than perhaps you've got an upright position, so maybe you are looking to create an aerodynamic parachute?

More I was thinking an extra 17mm rim depth isn't going to make any difference. You would need to go deeper or ride an awful lot faster to see a benefit. Going to look cool, though, which counts for something.
  • Mike_Mac
    edited May 2023
    I don't know, I'd say the geometry might be the most important aspect of aero.... The GCR Ti is certainly relaxed, but I was in between sizes and "sized up" giving me a longer reach and a high stack. (again in my head I'll go faster!)

I might have been sold on the marketing hype and reviews - they do seemed to be liked...As you say - The bike will look cool....
  • First.Aspect
    I think we are agreeing.

I'd also point out that the only reason something like an aero gravel bike exists is because someone noticed that it didn't.

I wouldn't put it past the bike industry to start selling things like indoor wheels or aerodynamically packaged enegy gels. Someone would buy them.
  • Mike_Mac
    Yeah, gravel and aero don't seem to mix BUT I think they could be the perfect all road wheel... If you believe their messages, they will offer decent performance on road, as well as off. Run them with 35mm slicks OR 32mm GP 5000 and you've got solid, stiff wheel for touring everywhere and something that will give aero gains on the road.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,498
    edited May 2023
    Are the GRC1400 similar to Zipp 303s but double the price?
  • Mike_Mac
    edited May 2023
    I would say not. 303 are about a third less . I'd say the GRC1400 was more like the firecrest. All were in my decision set. GRC seem pretty indestructible with better hubs....