saturday acquainted with the night

'ning

gloomy cool start, sunny later

ride cafes laze, pack for mayfair city break and friend's do, outrageous tux etc., bubbly, charleston, flappers etc.
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    Nice lazy day at home, ticked a couple little maintenance jobs off my list, otherwise sat around enjoying the serenity.

Bit of a fire somewhere, quite hazy this arvo, which actually looks nice in this light.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    Morning crab apples

Foggy, foggy, foggy.
    It will lift.
    Then pedal pedal pedal.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,557
    brrr, windycold ride, felt more like february than may
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    Weather forecast was wrong again. Still it'll be dry so riding is on later today. Went to talk to one of our multiple neighbours about doing some fencing and turns out they want to do a wall on their side, which saves us a job and a few quid so we'll let the crack on with it - result.

Next up, an outing with the hounds and a few jobs beckon.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Cycling group AGM this morning. Old school format but good chatter.

Bailed on the group ride though: fitness levels are pants post winter / bugs / distractions and would have been a case of 'see you at the top' all afternoon. Given one of the group is a hardcore audaxer, and his average on a 400km audax is 18mph... 😳
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    Afternoon folks,
    Decidedly nippy out. Up relatively early, for me on a weekend at any rate. Wobbled over to Kempton Park for an old motorbike jumble, looking for some bits for my old Triumph. Didn't find what I wanted but met up with some friends. Exchange of cash and HT leads means I may not have to go to Croydon for a few days.
    Is TLW running today? Stupid boy 🙄
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Afternoon.
    Not a bad day for winter here. Managed to get out for a ride needed to wear longs and gloves though. Apparently its supposed to 11 degrees warmer tomorrow, will it be the start of summer.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    Started foggy.
    Thought I was wearing too little but kept reminding myself that the sun would pop out. It did; eventually. 18 deg c or so and a light wind. Very rough roads interrupted by very short stretches of new tarmac (?!). There are 3 windfarms going up and the large plant is wrecking them more than they already are. Last time they done that, the local stretch of road for 11 miles in either direction was resurfaced. Here's hoping. So 66 hilly miles later and i'm sat here quite whacked but happy.
    Took homemade flapjacks* with me as I knew the café en route was a table in a corner shop and the best you could hope for is an instant coffee and some totally uninspiring sandwich or a greasy pie**.

Only 1 car, 1 van and a motorbike passed me in 22 miles.
    Beyond the hills that are over there, on the moors, before the fog lifted:

*Recipe available in the other thread.
    ** Take note @orraloon

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Oi, you calling me a greasypie fanboi or wot?

Bailed on a lumpy 40 miler let alone 66 today, as said above, given my lack of fitness would have been a PITA for the others. Rides are stepping up slowly , but more in the 40s km wise than miles so far. Tbc, the summer is yet young.
  • beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,533
    edited May 2023
    tlw1 said:

Yep 😂

Not sure if you are aware but falling down and barrel rolling down a load of rocks really hurts 🙄

But all good, sub 9 hrs for 46 miles with 9k ft of climbing, 7 out of 700 people and old man class won
    Nice one tlw. Mrs B³ said there was an ultra happening on Exmoor this weekend. She was out walking and kept being overtaken. Nutters all over the country.
  • sungod
    having a pre-party bubbly, already overheating, hope they turn up the ac in the ballroom otherwise i may risk the wrath of mrs s and bunk off for a walk in the cool
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    tlw1 said:

Yep 😂

Not sure if you are aware but falling down and barrel rolling down a load of rocks really hurts 🙄

But all good, sub 9 hrs for 46 miles with 9k ft of climbing, 7 out of 700 people and old man class won
    Did falling down and barrel rolling over rocks take you in the right direction and save a bit of running? If so does that make it cheating? Might be worth it if not.
    We'll done you nutter
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    tlw1 said:

Yep 😂

Well done tlw. The men in white coats will be round shortly :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    Thanks all - a night at various pubs has helped ease the pain
  • sungod
    nipped outside for cold air

the babes, the beat, the bubbly

heading back in, it's a tough job but someone's got to do it
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    tlw1 said:

Thanks all - a night at various pubs has helped ease the pain

There has to be some payoff for that effort
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • tlw1
    oxoman said:

Well done Mr T you smashed it. Nearly literally as well. I am aspiring to do full marathon and maybe longer distance in next year or so.

Always up for a training run around Cannock
  • sungod
    runner grooming :smiley:
  • tlw1
    sungod said:

runner grooming :smiley:

😂