Giro d'Italia 23 Stage 7: Capua - Gran Sasso 218 km - goes up at the end ***SPOILERS***

13»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,150
    Even the pink jersey, who I didn'rt think had a chance of retaining it, was bemoaning how boring it was and that he didn't have to work to protect it!
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 825
    At least Remco had a team mate who could hack the peloton today and Jan was stuck in his own personal Hirt locker only 40 seconds further back.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    DSM got that perfect .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Shocking timidness .... Remco himself needs more of cushion ...how much will he get on his GC rivals in the TT.... TGH is going to lose a fair bit ...roglic? G ? Almeida ?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2023
    Pross said:

Even the pink jersey, who I didn'rt think had a chance of retaining it, was bemoaning how boring it was and that he didn't have to work to protect it!

they managed to stay just out side of the "it's catchable" zone while making it close enough not to lose the jersey to the break

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,637
    edited May 2023
    Was there a headwind?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited May 2023
    It seems the strategies of the four main units are as follows

Evenepoel: Focus on the TTs. Take a substantial lead into the last week with the least energy expended

Roglic: Follow wheels. Time trails and bonus seconds. And see where that ends up. You can't teach an old dog new tricks

Ineos: Keep as many riders within four or five minutes going into the last week. Then play the cycling equivalent of whack-a-mole (as the moles).

UAE: Ineos light. Looking for a podium.

Right now it's a numbers game between Evenepoel and Ineos with Roglic hoping to slip through the middle.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors

Was there a headwind?

Yes on the final climb in parts
  • mididoctors
    RichN95. said:

It seems the strategies of the four main units are as follows

Evenepoel: Focus on the TTs. Take a substantial lead into the last week with the least energy expended

Roglic: Follow wheels. Time trails and bonus seconds. And see where that ends up. You can't teach an old dog new tricks

Ineos: Keep as many riders within four or five minutes going into the last week. Then play the cycling equivalent of whack-a-mole (as the moles).

UAE: Ineos light. Looking for a podium.

Right now it's a numbers game between Evenepoel and Ineos with Roglic hoping to slip through the middle.

Seems about right apart from UAE who are a bit rudderless for moles
  • mididoctors
    phreak said:

I'm impressed this made it to two pages.

Mostly me trying to keep my interest up
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    UAE mostly seem utterly indecisive when Pogacar isn't racing. They tend to be all over the map on tactics and lack of teamwork.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    Just started watching the last hour or so of today’s stage, having seen the result. Seems as if it could be a bit naff.
    Just wanted to say that I am in my hotel room 1000 metres above today’s finish.
    Went over 3500 metres for the second day running,
    Yesterday topped out at 4200 metres.

Looking forward to being home in time for the Crans Montana stage:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors