wednesday jwst images gravitationally lensed pineapple with redshift 25.3, a bad moon is rising

'ning

still not summer

ride, cafes, smidge of wfh, procure fine pineapple, lunch, nip up to harley street for molar repair, bubbly
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,475
    On train into town - been lured in by a free dinner after work so no communting for me.

Spoke to surviving causing last night about her sis who died on the weekend. She's just about holding it together and starting to plan the funeral. Did my best to give moral and practical support, I think she finished the call in a better state than she started it...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    👍Stevo

Hounds walked, egg and bacon butty enjoyed and now work stuff.

Later is the final run before Saturdays race so chosen easy with friends
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    Pedal pedal, as the entirety of May looks like sunshine and showers I thought I might as well risk it. Volunteering to drop some marquees erected for the coronation if the weather stays dry. Roll on summer.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,329
    Morning Vermicellis

Indoor pedal I think (in May?!, ffs).
    Yesterday turned out far better then expected weather wise as it hit 18 deg c at one point with very little wind.
    Busy though; Mrs. P and I did a load of spring cleaning and I also managed to cut the grass.
    Could have swapped yesterday and today. Never mind.

Chin up Stevo.

Mango. Mango is what you need SG. You are wearing your molars out running your tyres at 200psi over dodgy streets and eating acidic fruits.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,009
    A decent walk is about as exciting as today will get. Knee was giving me grief all last night in bed, probably because I spent the morning walking around a massive distribution centre.
    Desk bound today so it might calm down a bit. Currently looking forward to a ride on Saturday as the sun is supposed to make an appearance.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,532
    pinno said:

Morning Vermicellis

Indoor pedal I think (in May?!, ffs).
    Yesterday turned out far better then expected weather wise as it hit 18 deg c at one point with very little wind.
    Busy though; Mrs. P and I did a load of spring cleaning and I also managed to cut the grass.
    Could have swapped yesterday and today. Never mind.

Chin up Stevo.

Mango. Mango is what you need SG. You are wearing your molars out running your tyres at 200psi over dodgy streets and eating acidic fruits.

mrs s has the mango, i stick to the foods of the gods: pineapple, dark choc

grey nippy start, currently sunny, rain on the way
  • pinno
    I concur on the dark chocolate*.
    I can see the citrus/chocolate combination. Tried frozen red grapes and DC?

*There are uneducated heathens with pig palates who don't like the stuff but I hear that they actually try to chomp it.
  • sungod
    pinno said:

I concur on the dark chocolate*.
    I can see the citrus/chocolate combination. Tried frozen red grapes and DC?

*There are uneducated heathens with pig palates who don't like the stuff but I hear that they actually try to chomp it.

grapes and choc are good

orangettes are favourite - proper ones, not the abominations resembling the orangey bit of a jaffa cake - the combination of the sweet/bitter peel and chocolate, mmm
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Chin up Stevo.

I'm fine, thanks Mr. P. My cousin is a bit of a mess though. Both of her elder sisters died relatively young and she's the only one left.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sungod
    always sad when family die young

went in to buy a pineapple, bought a watch, resisted the lure of the chocolate hall, having a pre-dentist bubbly
  • Stevo_666
    sungod said:

went in to buy a pineapple, bought a watch, resisted the lure of the chocolate hall, having a pre-dentist bubbly

True, although she had a pretty serious set of incurable conditions which meant that this was a bit of a merciful release.

What watch did you get? (genuinely interested as a bit of a watch geek) - although appreciate you may prefer to remain discreet if it was one from (say) the 'Holy Trinity'...
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Afternoon
    Nice day although it’s supposed to rain but it seems to have gone to Italy. Dogs walked and bike ridden, no coughing fit today. Giro is so exciting that I went and cleaned my bikes to liven up the afternoon.
  • pinno
    webboo said:

Afternoon
    Nice day although it’s supposed to rain but it seems to have gone to Italy. Dogs walked and bike ridden, no coughing fit today. Giro is so exciting that I went and cleaned my bikes to liven up the afternoon.

I'll catch the last 200m on ES. No cross winds to liven things up?*

*And shred Lotto Soudal who were noticeably absent yesterday.
  • webboo
    pinno said:

webboo said:

Afternoon

I'll catch the last 200m on ES. No cross winds to liven things up?*

*And shred Lotto Soudal who were noticeably absent yesterday.
    No it’s wet and misty with roads like glass. Ballarini came off and slid for 20 metres even though they were riding slowly. They are commentating on how awful it must riding in a 160 rider bunch given the conditions.
  • sungod
    Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

True, although she had a pretty serious set of incurable conditions which meant that this was a bit of a merciful release.

What watch did you get? (genuinely interested as a bit of a watch geek) - although appreciate you may prefer to remain discreet if it was one from (say) the 'Holy Trinity'...
    yes looked at them, but wanted something art deco/retro and non-round, which ruled out ap, and the vc/pp non-round options didn't do it for me

so jlc was the one, had a look at a few, i'd always fancied a reverso with travel time, plus the dark face gives an understated look to go with the little sun...

...and, yes, they're going to get me a black strap
  • webboo
    Brimham rocks and the your bikes at the bottom of Frensis VS and Frensis direct E1.
  • Stevo_666
    sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

yes looked at them, but wanted something art deco/retro and non-round, which ruled out ap, and the vc/pp non-round options didn't do it for me

so jlc was the one, had a look at a few, i'd always fancied a reverso with travel time, plus the dark face gives an understated look to go with the little sun...

Very nice - a classic from the 'watchmakers watchmaker'. Looks fine to me on the tan strap, goes well with the case colour but always a good idea to have a change of strap to change the look.
  • pinno
    edited May 2023
    What a funny sort of time piece.

Perusing a few watch seller sites, I really like the post 40's pilot watches.

Like the inexpensive Zeppelin:

(A modern copy)
  • pinno
    I like the elegance.

• Stevo_666
    There's some good affordable stuff out there if you know where to look. Like those you posted.
  • Stevo_666
    @pinno I can give you a few 'Stevo top tips' for similar pieces if you're going watch shopping?
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Oooh very nice.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862

sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

Oooh very nice.
    Plus potato
  • sungod
    edited May 2023
    pinno said:

What a funny sort of time piece.

Perusing a few watch seller sites, I really like the post 40's pilot watches.

Like the inexpensive Zeppelin:

(A modern copy)

that's a great style, i've spent far too long ogling old watch sites over the years
  • Very nice reverso, Sungod. I like JLC but like most watch brands they have moved towards bigger case diameters. I think 39/40mm on a dress watch is too big.

I think the current prices on the big three are ridiculous (Rolex in particular). My dad bought a Royal Oak in rose gold for £2k back in 2001 (subsequently sold before the recent hype, sadly). Today that is a £60-80k watch!

I had a look at an Omega Seamaster at the end of 2021 but decided not to buy. Then it was £3600 and now it is £5200. It has had four price rises in around 16 months and a total price increase of nearly 45%! It is all just getting a bit ridiculous sadly.

Still love watches though :)
  • sungod
    edited May 2023

Very nice reverso, Sungod. I like JLC but like most watch brands they have moved towards bigger case diameters. I think 39/40mm on a dress watch is too big.

I think the current prices on the big three are ridiculous (Rolex in particular). My dad bought a Royal Oak in rose gold for £2k back in 2001 (subsequently sold before the recent hype, sadly). Today that is a £60-80k watch!

I had a look at an Omega Seamaster at the end of 2021 but decided not to buy. Then it was £3600 and now it is £5200. It has had four price rises in around 16 months and a total price increase of nearly 45%! It is all just getting a bit ridiculous sadly.

Still love watches though :)

yes, the round ones are too big for my taste, even this model reverso is a bit big, though it's still smaller compared to my old navitimer, if they'd had the dual-face small-seconds i think i'd have opted for it instead as it was a couple of mm shorter, but i heard there's another price hike on the way so decided to buy now

it's not helped by the shortage of watchmakers etc ('gifted' link skips the paywall)...
    https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/26/fashion/watches-workforce-switzerland.html?unlocked_article_code=rB768IbsvcjuvW_AhHsma8EfC4rCEFx4OUk2mKUBIesspk6o9OeP2xDgaHKjzf0KRxqRek3eFbQ7dzzxNk9MfOlMyVB5RwXvXjIAyJLJ1U8hssY5v1EVlwRBT5xSxcc_SdMWBoBW2QxxGqiNBzggwbV-R_9EcH7hwZiI6_NnTgfqMb2IAmB6jd3G8bpChYLqdT-1Rmula1PZ4_1LN7fVqQGjVZY0se6OM8oyIQA6SF6ucGa0q5ZsA9qONCoYWpeyCRDw7xgT0KophQac7-D0F0GQ9Ulu4FNc440w9UWb_HwyAqAvToLutpKsvZNY4h10n_sIS0lM7E59j8BLfS-MgeP7IKnorRM&smid=url-share

• Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 606
    webboo said:

Brimham rocks and the your bikes at the bottom of Frensis VS and Frensis direct E1.

Beat me to it! Identifying the rocks that is, not the detailed climbing guide. Used to cycle up there as a teen when we lived near Ferrybridge

• Cheers for the link! Interesting to read, although I guess not that surprising given many skilled trades which require years of on the job learning are probably at risk in the coming years/decades.

Will be interesting to see if the demand continues over the next 2 or 3 years. I get the feeling that the watch industry is similar to bikes, massive increase in consumer spending linked to the pandemic, but may tail off as the interest wains and only real enthusiasts are left.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    I have a few time pieces but watch collecting is quite an expensive hobby, bit like my faberge egg addiction.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Stevo_666
    seanoconn said:

I have a few time pieces but watch collecting is quite an expensive hobby, bit like my faberge egg addiction.

The only eggs I collect are dog eggs off the lawn...