tuesday and here were forests ancient as the hills, enfolding sunny spots of pineapples

'ning

cooler, cloudier

ride cafe wfh laze and bubbly
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,082
    Chilled walk to try and leave yesterdays alcohol back in the woods.

Work snizzle and hopefully catch up with my coach later
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    Morning blunderbusses

Chilly overnight. Can spring just give up being a petulant child, it's May?
    Chores and stuff and blood test.
    Run out of leftover puds.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    Grey grey my world is grey, grey is my world since bleepin' ever it feels like. FFS springtime, 4 hours of semi sunshine yesterday does not allow a week of clag as forecast.

At least it's dry, for now anyway, do some more groundworks, get prepped for a raised bed etc.

Plus some admin. Veehickle insurances run out mid month, initial searches coming back with mahoosive price hikes. No doubt due to inflationary pressures brought about by food shortages, the war in Ukraine, etc etc as drivelled out by politicos as standard. Grump, grump...
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232
    Work stuff followed by the gym for me, having a few new windows fitted at home so a bit of rebuilding the bedrooms as well.
    Spoke to the lady about my impending opp, nothing has moved on the appointment front so I'm still in limbo.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinno
    orraloon said:

Veehickle insurances run out mid month, initial searches coming back with mahoosive price hikes.

Insurance companies can no longer 'walk' prices upwards so you my find your renewal quote reasonable.
    (perhaps they know you live near a micro brewery)
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,600
    pinno said:

orraloon said:

Veehickle insurances run out mid month, initial searches coming back with mahoosive price hikes.

Insurance companies can no longer 'walk' prices upwards so you my find your renewal quote reasonable.
    It'll soon be bigger than a micro brewery if Loon has moved in nearby :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,600
    Morning Peeps,

Up too early after a bit of a restless night due to one of the hounds needing a nocturnal leak. But good ride in and my coffee & pork pie recovery fuel seems to be working.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Morning
    Pretty grey, still suffering with lurgi although I think there is slight improvement. Managed to go round with the vac and I will walk the dogs shortly. What the rest of day holds will depend on how I feel after that. At the very least I will watch the cycling.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,659
    Grey and a bit damp again. Fiddled about in shed this morning cleaning up some old timber to reuse in something.

Went out this afternoon on wasted trip to look at a car for sale. Rubbish.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    pinno said:

orraloon said:

I think I got a v good price last year for a 3 month old Škoda, getting quotes a week before I got the car. I was surprised how low it was. Perhaps esure needed new business that month. Or they made an error. Renewal is +50%, but still marginally cheaper than other quotes obtained via the MSE tool and the comparison sites.

I had moved my NCD from the old rumblewagon to the car. Still using the truck, been useful in The Project, don't know how long I'll continue with it, perhaps until MOT runs out in October. Anyway, existing provider renewal +30%; comparison site best -33%... that'll do. For a veehickle that goes to the tip / builders merchants and back.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Afternoon folks,
    In the orifice after a decent wobble in, thought the bike was going a lot better and the general clean and fettle had worked wonders. Then i twigged i was moving forward at 20mph in still air, ah, not that much difference then. New chain only skipped once so I think I got away without replacing the cassette, just as well as I couldn't find my spare. Repacking BB bearings with greases seems to have got rid of a creak, not surprised those things fail so regularly, tiny little balls with more spacer than bearing. You could get twice the number of balls in there quite easily. Think I'll investigate other manufacturers for next time.
    Renewal on the Panda insurance was cheaper than screen scraping other sites which surprised me.
    Not much else to report, should do some work as I just heard someone say the system is back up and running. Poxy POS that it is.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232
    @veronese68 I used Enduro bearings on my Santa Cruz and they seemed to take a fair beating on the gritty trails around here. Road bike uses SKF on hubs etc and unfortunately one of those dodgy press fit BB ones from Shimano.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,533
    Red eye into wfh. I may have had a small kip at lunchtime.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Thanks HD, I'm going to take an old BB I used to make a thread chasing tool apart and see if the bearings will be replaceable for shitandgiggles, I'll post a picture of how pitiful the Shimano bearings are.
  • pinno

@veronese68 I used Enduro bearings on my Santa Cruz and they seemed to take a fair beating on the gritty trails around here. Road bike uses SKF on hubs etc and unfortunately one of those dodgy press fit BB ones from Shimano.

My mate daan saaf bought some Rock shox off fleabay and they were 'local collection only' (wait for it) sold locally... near me by a guy I know! Small world. When I went to pick up the forks, he showed me his lime green Santa Cruz with 1 x drive train which weighed a staggeringly meagre 9.2kg's. Amazing really when you think of all the furniture that's on an MTB. Quite a good looking machine but cost a packet with imported forks from ze fazerland costing £900 plus customs of £140.