Cracked wheel

Anyone seen anything like this before? This is the front wheel, around the valve. It's bizarre as the bike has literally been on the turbo for two years so can only assume I've jarred it against the wheel holder or something. Assume this is beyond repair now and a new one is needed.

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    Looks like something caught on the valve stem. And it's fecked, yes.
  • moscowflyer
    moscowflyer Posts: 540
    It's a strange one. Apparently Zipp have a lifetime warranty, not sure if this is something I'll be able to pursue but will contact them.
  • The first pic looks so straight it looks like a seam ,though I doubt it is as putting it there would be silly .
    Zipp are very good to deal with and if they refuse warranty the offer a serious discount replace or repair in their keep rolling program .That to me looks like a no argument replacement .
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,564
    Aren't those rims a standard aluminium rim with a carbon fibre aero section bonded to them? If so, I'd imagine the CF offers little to the strength/structure.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    masjer said:

Aren't those rims a standard aluminium rim with a carbon fibre aero section bonded to them? If so, I'd imagine the CF offers little to the strength/structure.

No, the nipples are exposed below the carbon so the carbon is structural. It would probably be ok to keep using with the turbo, not for actual riding though.
  • First.Aspect

masjer said:

No, the nipples are exposed below the carbon so the carbon is structural. It would probably be ok to keep using with the turbo, not for actual riding though.
    This. And it isn't going to be a warranty issue either.

There are plenty of companies in China selling this sort of wheel now, albeit probably not with alu braking surfaces. I personally don't worry so much about quality, because the same companies probably them for Zipp et al. back in the day.
  • moscowflyer
    moscowflyer Posts: 540
    Indeed, the lifetime warranty is for 2021 and newer wheels so I'm currently stuck with an old Aksium on the front and Zipp on the back, not ideal but at least I can ride. Will keep the front one for the turbo, maybe I'll see if I can find something matching from China as I'm not in a position to be buying a whole new wheelset right now.
  • First.Aspect
    Keep an eye out on gumtree and eBay. There is all manner of obsolete cycling gear on there at the moment, what with people must having discs and must having be more aero.