GPS purchase

I’m in the market for a GPS unit primarily just to measure by speed distance etc (don’t need one with navigation).

I know Amazon sell a whole generic range of these, but just wondered could anyone here recommend such a unit.

Additionally I’d like to use the same unit on my other bike (MTB), so anything that comes with the option of a 2nd holder would be a bonus.

Thanks
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    edited April 2023
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    edited April 2023
    If on a budget look for the bryton rider range (the rider 15 can be had for 54 @ halfords) or for the secondhand garmin 530/830's which will inevitably appear on ebay as people upgrade* to the 540/840.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    You'll struggle to get a 530 for less than £150 at best at present (I am currently looking).

520 nearer 80-90 which isn't bad.

If you want simple metrics, the edge 25 will do that, around 55 used.
  • pblakeney

You'll struggle to get a 530 for less than £150 at best at present (I am currently looking).

520 nearer 80-90 which isn't bad.

If you want simple metrics, the edge 25 will do that, around 55 used.

Ah! That's the one I was thinking of.
    Google only came up with the 130.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • redvision
    edited April 2023
    Wahoo elemnt roam (first gen i think) down to £161 @ startfitness when you use the code 'spring'

https://startfitness.co.uk/products/wahoo-elemnt-roam-gps-bike-computer-black
  • pep.fermi
    pep.fermi Posts: 383
    Maybe for MTB is different but I don't see how a smartphone does not do all you need (and more) already.
  • apcmtb
    apcmtb Posts: 53
    pep.fermi said:

Maybe for MTB is different but I don't see how a smartphone does not do all you need (and more) already.

Many thanks for the replies, not the sort of budget I was looking for really, don’t need any navigation and not really keen on 2nd hand as the batteries are usually integral on the brands mentioned and can’t be replaced.

As to the point regards smartphones, I don’t always carry mine with me, it’s almost always at the bottom of a backpack if I do. 😂
  • You're discounting 2nd hand (for valid reasons), but....there are a LOT of decent units like Wahoo Bolt v1's out there with years left on them, but ppl want the latest v2. I say this as I'm one of those (I want the v2 for the better maps). They can be had on FB Marketplace etc for as little as £80. I got a warranty replacement unit direct from Wahoo about 1 year ago (they wouldn't give me a v2 replacement LOL), which I'll be selling at some point (with several mounts).
  • apcmtb
    Thanks again, had a quick look on FB and Ebay, just can't justify that amount for a 2nd handset, which more than likley would be overkill for what I want it for, thats without factoring in any potential unknown issues with a 2nd hand unit.
  • redvision
    What is your budget?

As I mentioned above, the bryton range is pretty good value and a better choice than some of the alternatives in the same price band (can't compare to wahoo, garmin, karoo though).

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/cycling-technology/cycle-computer-gps/bryton-rider-15e-neo-gps-cycle-computer-489190.html?_gl=1*eslt44*_up*MQ..*_ga*MTAwOTEyODU0NS4xNjgyNTg3MTcy*_ga_VK44BRER97*MTY4MjU4NzE3Mi4xLjEuMTY4MjU4NzE4MS4wLjAuMA..
  • apcmtb
    edited April 2023
    Think at a push I could get to £50.00, the addition of a 2nd mount for the other bike is important though.

Just spotted on their site

Mount compatibility: Proprietary Bryton Mount System (third-party mounts are not covered under warranty).
  • pblakeney
    apcmtb said:

Mount compatibility: Proprietary Bryton Mount System (third-party mounts are not covered under warranty).

I doubt anyone using third party Garmin or Wahoo mounts has ever considered this as something to worry about. I certainly haven't.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • apcmtb
    A fair point if that's what matters to you, but that along with the proprietary rules it out for me unfortunately
  • shirley_basso
    Every mounting system is propretary, and then there are 1000s of people who make copies If you must use an OEM version, just buy two of them - one for each bike.
  • redvision
    Changing mounts between bikes is a 30 second job. So until you are able to purchase a second mount could you not just move it between bikes when necessary?

The bryton at halfords is a great price and you may be able to get an extra 8% off if you are a British cycling member.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    It will only connect to Ant+ sensors, not Bluetooth.
    Otherwise, it fits your stated needs.
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/cyclometer-gps-100/_/R-p-330530?mc=8615340

It has Bluetooth, and syncs with strava. Being sold by Decathlon it would make any returns / warranties easier as you seem to be a little worried about that. There is also a Mount available at the store as well.

Bryton have a good name, and don’t see the issue with the warranty (using non proprietary mounts) as that’s standard practise for most consumer goods where 3rd party accessories could be used.

Hope this helps.
  • pep.fermi
    pep.fermi Posts: 383
    apcmtb said:

pep.fermi said:

As to the point regards smartphones, I don’t always carry mine with me, it’s almost always at the bottom of a backpack if I do. 😂
    Fine with this is this is your preference.
    But what's the point of not carrying your smartphone, or leaving it at the bottom of the bag, AND buying extra hardware?

• apcmtb
    What’s the point😂

Given my smartphone is worth over £1k then I’d rather it was out of the way and protected for the sake of buying a significantly cheaper device I can just swap over as I use each bike.

There would be no GPS Bike device market if we all used your reasoning 😂
  • apcmtb
    Thanks for the overview, unfortunately the Bryton product mentioned is well out of my price range.

I’ve always found Amazon very helpful with any warranty claims, although I do take on board the point regards updates to the product mentioned.
  • shirley_basso
    I think you are overthinking this quite a lot.

I have had the same Garmin 500 for over 10 years and it's been faultless (I could replace the battery and I am certain it will run and run).

People with horror stories are more likely to report them (hence the person above).
  • apcmtb
    As far as I know, the Garmin you mention (in fact all of them) don’t have replaceable batteries
  • shirley_basso
    apcmtb said:

As far as I know, the Garmin you mention (in fact all of them) don’t have replaceable batteries

Send them off to a repair shop who will do it for you for a small cost. Google will turn up plenty.

I have a 500, 530 and forerunner 245 all of which are totally fine.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    oxoman said:

I think you are overthinking this quite a lot.

I have had the same Garmin 500 for over 10 years and it's been faultless (I could replace the battery and I am certain it will run and run).

People with horror stories are more likely to report them (hence the person above).

Your not wrong. I made the mistake of get the edge touring which was probably their worst mistake, having had several replacements I gave up with them as did several mates. Hence why I'm vocal. You can't beat the older tried and tested ones.
    The 830 is brilliant. Great reports on the 530 and 1030 too. All generally considered best of breed when launched.
    The touring sounds like it was a bad idea all along! A poor device and a bad purchase!

You hear horror stories with all devices, whatever the brand, primarily because when something goes wrong, people publically moan about it!
  • Must confess I've looked at the Coospo range on Amazon a few times, while still wondering what to do, after carelessly misplacing my Lezyne Mega XL literally in the few minutes before getting off the train for our Center Parcs holiday last September.

I've been using Coospo heart rate monitors since 2017 and they've been great, also have a speed/cadence sensor of theirs which is lurking in a spares box somewhere in the back room! :D

Another option I would throw into the budget mix is the Lezyne Super Pro, it's got an awful lot of the Mega XL functionality with a smaller screen and battery, ~£121 with "silver" loyalty (was ~£114 with "gold" until that slipped the other day) at https://www.merlincycles.com/lezyne-super-pro-gps-computer-152382.html
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • apcmtb
    Thanks for all of the above thoughts/advice.

Given my limited requirements I managed to pick up a Garmim Edge 200 (& additional mount) for just shy of £24 via eBay.
  • pblakeney said:
    Hi. You can't adjust the speed of auto-pause on the 130 which is actually very annoying.
  • darrell1967
    darrell1967 Posts: 477
    I just bought a Garmin 520 off eBay for £75. Been using it for a few days and it appears to be fine.

It’s replaced my 5 year old 520 that I bought new but cracked the screen last November. Rainwater got into it and that was that.
  • apcmtb
    That’s my plan, can’t lose at the price I paid and what I want/need it for.

If all goes well and I find there is more of a need then I’ll just upgrade