Campagnolo 11 speed rear mech 2015 issue

canoas
canoas Posts: 307
My LBS mechanic says I need a new Campy rear mech 11 speed 2015. There is play in the mech, if my bike is in a work stand, you can move the mech slightly from side to side a little bit if sitting in the smallest cog (12) and this is causing gear changing to be inconsistent, my bike has been looked at a few times with this problem and about 2 mechanics say the same thing...........any suggestions would help. 11s Campy stuff is especially mech are very rare these days, and 11s is only 8 years old, crazy!

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    Centaur is still available in 11-speed.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • canoas
    Yeah, options are very limited. Chorus does as well £250 they are both HO (Hydraulic) but still can be installed on manual setups I read.....seriously annoying, there seems to be more Campy NOS 10 speed stock that 11s if you minus the cassette/chain availability.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    I'm slightly sceptical about what your LBS folk told you. Campagnolo 11-speed rear mechs have always had a bit of play in them. Even my 11-speed EPS Record rear mech has some play. You can wobble them on the hanger. From memory it's by design - although I can't remember why. Maybe someone else can advise.

Interestingly the new Ekar rear mech doesn't budge at all (could be due to the clutch) and I've no idea about 12-speed road groups.

Drop Graeme at Velotech an email and he'll be able to tell you if it's knackered or not:

https://www.velotech-cycling.ltd.uk/campagnolo.shtml
  • canoas
    I managed to get a Campag 2015 11s Rear Mech (RD15-RE1) from Estonia about a week ago for €250 including postage (new), arrived safely, for some reason I didn't pay any duty, the sender put nothing down for value amount, so that was a bonus! I had to translate their website page and with what little English they had, they were excellent, sent me an Invoice via Paypal. What an effort that was! Very lucky in the end.
  • canoas

I'm slightly sceptical about what your LBS folk told you. Campagnolo 11-speed rear mechs have always had a bit of play in them. Even my 11-speed EPS Record rear mech has some play. You can wobble them on the hanger. From memory it's by design - although I can't remember why. Maybe someone else can advise.

Interestingly the new Ekar rear mech doesn't budge at all (could be due to the clutch) and I've no idea about 12-speed road groups.

Drop Graeme at Velotech an email and he'll be able to tell you if it's knackered or not:

https://www.velotech-cycling.ltd.uk/campagnolo.shtml

I took my bike to another bike shop in London, they said the same thing, too much play Rear Mech needs replacing. I see what you mean though.