House prices - specifically 'Offers Over'

2»

Comments

• Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479

My 68sqm 2 bed house was bought in 2010 for £190k and I bought it in 2018 for £425k.

First house!

Is it just me that has no concept of how big a house that is? 2 bed I can imagine, 68sqm not a clue :)
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,600

Exactly this, we're in a similar position but a few years ahead. Daughter 2nd year of uni and lad is about to finish his masters so will be looking for work. He wants to move in with his girlfriend, between house prices and university fees debts how will they ever be able to afford a house without bumping us off?

Since this is Bottom Bracket, tell him he's too young to be settling down and should be out chasing poonani at his age. That'll buy you enough time to downsize into a retirement flat and chuck him the excess proceeds from the house.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    edited May 2023
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

My 68sqm 2 bed house was bought in 2010 for £190k and I bought it in 2018 for £425k.

First house!

Sheesh, you paid something like 20% more per square metre than I did and you're more than twice as far out from the centre of town.
  • He wants to move in with his girlfriend, between house prices and university fees debts how will they ever be able to afford a house without bumping us off?

This is the major problem for young ftb Veronese. A deposit is a major stumbling block, most lenders will want 15-20%. On a £200k house that's £30-40k, plus all the other costs on top. No chance!

If you are under 35 and buying you either need a good salary and the ability to save large amounts or it is the bank of mom and dad!
  • My 68sqm 2 bed house was bought in 2010 for £190k and I bought it in 2018 for £425k.

Blimey! The house I bid on was 150sqm and considerably less than what you paid RC.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

First house!

Jeez! A 93.5sqm 3 bedroom semi round the corner from me just sold for £240k.
    The cost of living crisis really is relative. Guess the choice of location is a huge factor.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    I have no idea how many sq m this place is, Pro just as well 😂
  • pblakeney

I have no idea how many sq m this place is, Pro just as well 😂

I had to look at the listing. 🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,878
    Location, location, location...
    There is a 150m2 house just went up for sale down the road for 1.3 million!
    It has a huuuuge garden but is also pretty dilapidated and would need a fair bit of work before you could move in.

Some people have a lot of money, just wish they would stop bidding on houses I want to live in.
    pblakeney said:

First house!

The cost of living crisis really is relative. Guess the choice of location is a huge factor.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,636
    Well yes. If only the nice areas that make it easy to earn the money to pay for the houses had cheap houses, eh?
  • pblakeney
    monkimark said:

Some people have a lot of money, just wish they would stop bidding on houses I want to live in.

pblakeney said:

First house!

I think people round here look at asking prices for new developments and say sod that. Prices stay low. Incomers mean prices rise but nowhere like other places.
    Less than 1 hour drive from 2 major cities so it's not as if I'm giving much up.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,533

Tashman said:

Tashman said:

Prices in general are utterly ridiculous. There's no way I'd be able to afford my current house now.

Only going one way
    Indeed, feel very fortunate that we were able to clear the mortgage yesterday! 19 years and its gone from £182k to £480k apparently. It's nothing special either
    This made me look at what the house that's being built on the plot my parents house was is up for, £4.55m! That's insane.
    Really?! It's a lovely spot, but I didn't realise they were going for crazy money like that up there. Mind you, 2 doors down from me went on for £1.2m a couple of months back and sold before the sign went up outside. I paid a sight less than a third of that in 2010. For a 20's mid terrace on a busyish road.
  • Stevo_666

Tashman said:

Tashman said:

Prices in general are utterly ridiculous. There's no way I'd be able to afford my current house now.

Only going one way
    Indeed, feel very fortunate that we were able to clear the mortgage yesterday! 19 years and its gone from £182k to £480k apparently. It's nothing special either
    This made me look at what the house that's being built on the plot my parents house was is up for, £4.55m! That's insane.
    Really?! It's a lovely spot, but I didn't realise they were going for crazy money like that up there. Mind you, 2 doors down from me went on for £1.2m a couple of months back and sold before the sign went up outside. I paid a sight less than a third of that in 2010. For a 20's mid terrace on a busyish road.
    The SW London market must be on fire at the moment.
  • Stevo_666
    edited May 2023

Well yes. If only the nice areas that make it easy to earn the money to pay for the houses had cheap houses, eh?

My neck of the woods seems to fit the bill, relatively speaking.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692

Tashman said:

Tashman said:

Only going one way
    It's insane, the one next door built by the same guy a few years back but with added pillars, is up for £4.75m! I just looked at the listing and its 439m² or as it's known in common parlance, f'kin big.
    Do places on your road go for more for the entertainment value of watching vans get stuck under the bridge? :D
  • Stevo_666
    edited May 2023

Tashman said:

Tashman said:

Only going one way
    It's insane, the one next door built by the same guy a few years back but with added pillars, is up for £4.75m! I just looked at the listing and its 439m² or as it's known in common parlance, f'kin big.
    Do places on your road go for more for the entertainment value of watching vans get stuck under the bridge? :D
    That is big, but the price per m² is really high - that's more than twice what my new place cost per m² and its hardly a **** tip round these parts. I'm starting to feel like I got a bargain...
  • beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,533

Tashman said:

Tashman said:

Only going one way
    The continuing low bridge vs van saga certainly adds value, and will do for years to come...😀
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    Stevo_666 said:

Tashman said:

Tashman said:

Only going one way
    That is big, but the price per m² is really high - that's more than twice what my new place cost per m² and its hardly a **** tip round these parts. I'm starting to feel like I got a bargain...
    And bang on five times £/sqm (2k/sqm) compared to up here. You lot could relocate here and literally buy castles set in huge estates around here!!!!

Something has to give for the next generations…. At the moment we’re all intent on moving to the south of England for jobs, and therefore many businesses will locate themselves in those areas where there’s a decent pool of talent. It’s a vicious circle.
  • Stevo_666
    wavefront said:

Stevo_666 said:

Tashman said:

Tashman said:

Only going one way
    And bang on five times £/sqm (2k/sqm) compared to up here. You lot could relocate here and literally buy castles set in huge estates around here!!!!

Something has to give for the next generations…. At the moment we’re all intent on moving to the south of England for jobs, and therefore many businesses will locate themselves in those areas where there’s a decent pool of talent. It’s a vicious circle.
    That's a similar level to where my folks used to live (Cleveland).
    Whereabouts are you?

• wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    6hrs north of there. eastern edge of the Cairngorms. My wife said recently even if she won the lottery she wouldn’t move (neither would I) so I guess it’s a nice area!

We’re working harder and harder to afford more expensive and smaller and smaller homes. Where does it end? I saw a couple in Paris last week bought a 25sqm flat. One room. And another chap hit the headlines facing a backlash last week for advertising a bedroom in London for £850 month and it came without access to a kitchen - you’d have to eat out every day.
  • Stevo_666
    edited May 2023
    wavefront said:

6hrs north of there. eastern edge of the Cairngorms. My wife said recently even if she won the lottery she wouldn’t move (neither would I) so I guess it’s a nice area!

We’re working harder and harder to afford more expensive and smaller and smaller homes. Where does it end? I saw a couple in Paris last week bought a 25sqm flat. One room. And another chap hit the headlines facing a backlash last week for advertising a bedroom in London for £850 month and it came without access to a kitchen - you’d have to eat out every day.

Ah, well North. Best stay where you are as long as you're not allergic to rain and midgies.