New tyre blew out...change or unlucky

Hi,had to buy a new front tyre as had a puncture and the short distance I rode going down hill on the flat split the side wall of the conti gatorskin 23mm.
So I ordered a new one at 25mm and on 2nd ride it blew out the sidewall going slowly down hill.
It was ridiculously loud when it exploded and I'm not sure if I hit something to make it do it or not, I'm assuming so.
Are there any tyres that are similar that don't have that thin mesh sidewall as seems a weak point to me obviously.
Or is it just bad luck.
Just wasted 37 quid.
I'm new to road cycling and bought the bike with those tyres on and have no idea what the equivalent or better are.
Live in London so lots of debris around although have been fairly lucky really upto now.
Cheers

Comments

• So close to rim? Tyre was at 95psi
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,878
    Is there something sharp on the inside of the rim that could have cut the sidewall? Maybe the rim was damaged by the initial puncture?
  • The other thing that can do that is worn brake blocks overhanging the top edge of the rim.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    Maybe bad luck, but I’d check the brake pads too. If they are set too high, they can end up with a lip (overhanging the rim brake track) that contacts the tyre sidewall and will wear through the tyre in a short time.
    Might not be the case, but worth checking.
  • Just let tyre down and checked and no there's no sharp edge or anything.
    Ran my fingers round on both sides as well.
  • masjer
    Oh, andrew s2 beat me to it. :o
  • Yup....ffs.
    That side brake block is the culprit it seems.
    I'd just adjusted the wire via the adjuster before I left and was happy how much better the brakes were.
    Live and learn I suppose could of been a lot worse if was going full speed down the hill I was meant to be going down.
    I'd turned off and was slowing down.
    Thanks 👍
  • So I might as well order same again huh?
  • Can get schwalbe durano DD 25mm for a lot less but folding so no metal bead I'm assuming.
    What's the difference having a folding or non folding
  • masjer

So I might as well order same again huh?

£37 seems a bit rich.
    These are a right bargain at the mo and will have much better grip in the wet.
    https://planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYPAJBMM/jack-brown-mile-muncher-700c-folding-tyre
  • masjer
    edited April 2023

Can get schwalbe durano DD 25mm for a lot less but folding so no metal bead I'm assuming.
    What's the difference having a folding or non folding

Folding can be folded, but they are always lighter and usually have a more supple carcass (higher tpi). They are often easier to mount on the rim, which is handy if you puncture.
    Non-folding have a steel loop imbedded in the tyre (just below the split in your tyre) the folding ones have a kevlar (or similar) loop.
  • masjer
    And non-folding are normally cheaper.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387

Do not order another Gatorskin - they have the feel of riding a hosepipe and are dreadful in the wet.

I suspect some of the commuters might suggest something such as a GP4 Seasons as a compromise between $%£"%ure resistance and rolling resistance.
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 667
    As a cost saving measure I switched from GP4S to Rubino Pros on the winter bike a couple of years ago. So far, so good.

Currently £12.99 a pop on Wiggle, which seems like a bargin for a folding tyre.

Perhaps I shouldn't have said pop....
  • Ok thanks for suggestions,I went for schwalbe durano DD 25mm
    21 quid each .
    Only went for these as one of my lbs had them for 44 and Halfords 41 I think.
    I don't do much riding in the rain.
    I didn't realise the amount of tyres/prices and styles were available.
    I would still be on original conti gatorskin if it wasn't for the brake block.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

Do not order another Gatorskin - they have the feel of riding a hosepipe and are dreadful in the wet.

I suspect some of the commuters might suggest something such as a GP4 Seasons as a compromise between $%£"%ure resistance and rolling resistance.
    Yes. 8 years of London commuting on GP4 Seasons. Wouldn't get anything else.
  • Is there a better summer tyre for commuting/weekend etc.
    Or just stick with duranos
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    I like rubino pros like Munsford said, good price for commuting. Everyone will have a preference though.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 454

A BIG +1 for this comment re Gatorskins - they are hard and lethal in the wet as I found out back in 2016! Avoid!
  • Yup....ffs.
    That side brake block is the culprit it seems.
    I'd just adjusted the wire via the adjuster before I left and was happy how much better the brakes were.
    Live and learn I suppose could of been a lot worse if was going full speed down the hill I was meant to be going down.
    I'd turned off and was slowing down.
    Thanks 👍

The brake blocks on dual pivot or centre pull brakes move up the rim towards the tyre as they wear.
    The blocks on old-style sidepull, V and cantilever brakes move down the rim towards the spokes.
    (It's to do with the relative position of the brake arm pivot and the rim)

It's best to set up the position to allow for wear when you first install the blocks.