sunday into owl cave

'ning

nippy start again

ride far as augury for monday is soggy, cafes, catnap through paris-roubaix, bubbly
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,536
    Chores am. Take son to his Nan pm for his more fun holiday park holiday. Back in time for the last couple of hours of Roubaix.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,857
    edited April 2023
    seanoconn said:

Chores am. Take son to his Nan pm for his more fun holiday park holiday. Back in time for the last couple of hours of Roubaix.

Are you sure this is going to work out?
    I mean, last week you had the run around and got how much of the end of the Pogacar training ride?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    What the fukity fuk is going on with the fukin weather?!
    Rain. wind and showers and cooler for most of the week they say.
    Today looks a bit meh.

Nieces are on child care duties today :smile:
    They should come more often. Lets see how they fair after 6 hours...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,970
    Proper busy day yesterday including impromptu trip to our two local pubs with the neighbours. Now chilling with the hounds and planning a 50k route route this afternoon ride with a mate. Looks a bit misty on the Downs just now but sun's out so all is good.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,004
    Hounds walked and then been for a run with a pal - they are now chilling in the sun.

Pig based breakfast, chill then over to mothers for Easter egg hunt, etc. then a mates playing in a local pub, should be good
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,575
    Morning folks,
    Slowish start was enjoyed, foolishly offered the lad and his squeeze a lift this morning so about to be on dad's taxi duty. Looks nice out but I have no idea what the day holds for me.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Evening
    Ride out to meet two mates at the local nature reserve tea shack. Brew and a cream egg, then a ride to the cafe, for a coffee and a scone. Bumped into another old cycling mate in there who I haven’t seen for about 8 years. Then a gentle ride home.
    But b#gger me it was cold, I got cold fingers even with gloves on.
  • pinno
    50 plastic miles.
    I put P-R on and they had 127km to go when I sat on the rollers with earphones and laptop in front of me.
    So they did 72 miles to my 50.
  • webboo
    Did you glue bits of rocks to the rollers to get the real effect.
  • beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,533
    Walked 12 miles on the moor. Went to the top. Absolutely cream crackered. Quite a wind blowing. Saw some lambs.
  • Stevo_666
    edited April 2023
    pinno said:

50 plastic miles.
    I put P-R on and they had 127km to go when I sat on the rollers with earphones and laptop in front of me.

How do real miles compare to plastic ones? We managed 50k (not miles) out in the big outdoors with 680m of climbing.

Warm n sunny - shorts, short sleeve top and fingerless gloves were the order of the day round the lanes of Kentshire.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • webboo
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

50 plastic miles.

How do real miles compare to plastic ones? We managed 50k (not miles) out in the big outdoors with 680m of climbing.

Warm n sunny - shorts, short sleeve top and fingerless gloves were the order of the day round the lanes of Kentshire.
    50k rides are what those fat blokes on bikes do. You know the ones who ride like John Wayne. >:)
  • Stevo_666
    webboo said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

50 plastic miles.

50k rides are what those fat blokes on bikes do. You know the ones who ride like John Wayne. >:)
    I know the sort...neither of us are fat but sadly my riding mate lost a fair chunk of his lung capacity to bronchiectasis so can't manage the sort of distances or climbs that he'd like to.

Out of interest, what's the minimum allowed ride distance for smug old farts these days? ;)

• webboo
    51Km >:)
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

50 plastic miles.

Depends how you look at it*.
    If you want a direct comparison, I would say 70%. So 50 plastic miles = 35 real miles.

*The rollers are fantastic for maintaining souplesse: French/Belgian term for suppleness or looseness in the muscles. It's a continuous effort with barely any freewheeling unlike the road and I averaged 97rpm today, whereas, i'll average 83 rpm on a hilly ride and 87 on a flatish ride (there really is hardly any flat here).
    So much more pedal strokes per hour than the road.
    I stay warm throughout so it takes less out of me.
    I can almost guarantee that the next road ride I do will be a good one because of the higher cadence and souplesse achieved.
    So the difference can't simply be measured in the difference in resistance.

@webboo : What a good idea.
  • Stevo_666
    webboo said:

51Km >:)

I thought you did way more than that :)
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

50 plastic miles.

Depends how you look at it*.
    If you want a direct comparison, I would say 70%. So 50 plastic miles = 35 real miles.

*The rollers are fantastic for maintaining souplesse: French/Belgian term for suppleness or looseness in the muscles. It's a continuous effort with barely any freewheeling unlike the road and I averaged 97rpm today, whereas, i'll average 83 rpm on a hilly ride and 87 on a flatish ride (there really is hardly any flat here).
    So much more pedal strokes per hour than the road.
    I stay warm throughout so it takes less out of me.
    I can almost guarantee that the next road ride I do will be a good one because of the higher cadence and souplesse achieved.
    So the difference can't simply be measured in the difference in resistance.

@webboo : What a good idea.
    Take your point but static exercise machines bore me senseless. I can’t do more than 20 minutes on Mrs. 666s crappy static bike before my brain tries to escape so it's for emergency use only.
  • pinno
    edited April 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

Take your point but static exercise machines bore me senseless. I can’t do more than 20 minutes on Mrs. 666s crappy static bike before my brain tries to escape so it's for emergency use only.

I couldn't either. Those static bikes are horrible and nothing like rollers.
    I tend to put the headphones on and play one of my mashup playlists and get lost in it.
    When the weather is pants and you want to maintain continuity...

I may get another TT Oxo. A good 30 min effort on the TT can be quite an effort.