Protecting a steel frame stored in a loft

I'm planning to put an unused steel frame into the loft for long term storage - don't use it currently but not been able to sell it. It's not insulated up there, any recommendations on protecting it with rust inhibitors or other treatments whilst it is up there?

Comments

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,575
    Surely it will rust a lot less than if it was being used anyway?
    I use acf50 to protect my motorbike against rust through the winter, it's good stuff but dont get it anywhere that you don't want to be oily a little goes a long way and it doesn't wipe off easily.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,663

If it was me I'd me more worried about fixing the roof to keep it dry in the first place.
  • Thanks @monkimark will have a look at that.
    It was my commute bike and hasn't seen use since oh about March 2020...
    Just worried about putting it away and finding a pile of rust when I find I need it again
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Assuming the frame is painted, then it probably already has adequate surface protection. Something like ACF50 mentioned above would help reduce the risk of corrosion on any chipped/unprotected areas, or inside the frame tubes. But unless your loft is damp and/or wet, then it's probably no worse at risk than if you were to keep riding it.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,204
    edited April 2023
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    It is not the outside of the frame that needs protection, it is the unpainted inside.
    You need to squirt some rust protection inside the tubes and seal the frame in a poly bag to stop condensation forming.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,582
    as above, acf50, store in a sealed bag

might be worth using one you can suck the air out of to reduce the amount of trapped moisture

inside the bag i'd add some silica gel bags to dehumidify - when the temperature drops, free moisture trapped in the sealed bag will condense on/in the cold frame
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,663
    Where are of the people with rusted stainless steel frames?
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,575

Where are of the people with rusted stainless steel frames?

Laughing at the people with rusted steel frames. :)

If the frame is packed in a bag of some sort, VCI paper would work and can stop rust for up to 2 years. You can buy it in small quantities on ebay.
    https://kitepackaging.co.uk/scp/papers/vci-paper/
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,575

Thanks @monkimark will have a look at that.
    It was my commute bike and hasn't seen use since oh about March 2020...
    Just worried about putting it away and finding a pile of rust when I find I need it again

I wouldn't worry too much about it - I have an old 531 frame (my first 'proper' mtb from the mid 90's) that I stripped & resprayed then left in the shed for 5+ years, prior to that it was sat in various garages and sheds as an assembled bike for 20 years. It doesn't have any issues with rust (i'm sure the inside of the tubes have a layer but I'm not too fussed about that) - my loft is drier than my shed or my garage so it'd almost certainly be better stored up there than where it is currently.