Boardman 9.4 handlebars

Hi

I have a Boardman 9.4 since some months ago and I can safely say now the handlebar is crap. My hands are numb after 40 km or so, so I decided to replace it

Which alternatives would you recommend? I’m sure anything will improve it, so I don’t need a pro one.
I want to spend around 120-130 max on the handlebar and the tape together

Thanks

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I would be so bold as to suggest that if your hands are numb after 40 km you need to look at other things rather than your bars, such as your position, tyre width and pressure and so on.
  • javidr
    javidr Posts: 138
    You are right, the problem is the position, but I feel like it’s the handlebar what is pushing me to be in the wrong position. I have changed the saddle height to accommodate to the handlebar position and I have just made it worst
  • webboo
    How are the bars pushing you in to wrong position. You can ride on the drops, on the hoods in several positions and even on the tops. Maybe a picture of you on the bike might help.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,203
    First thing to do is get the saddle height and position right for your legs, then worry about your hands once that's nailed. Do that by adjusting the height, stem length etc. Never try to correct your hand position by changing your saddle - that just means you have two variables to worry about.

For your hands, it might not be the bars themselves that are the issue - you've also got stem length, height etc. to play around with, even the angle of the hoods. If you need to change bits, cheap stuff is generally fine (something like Deda RHM01 bars / Zero1 stems). Only once you're comfortable with the position should you buy bling.

It's a 95% likelihood that the problem is not the quality of the components, it's the position, so there is no point in anyone recommending x or y brand.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Rather than spend £120/130 on a pair of handlebars which probably won't solve the problem, spend it on a proper bike fit.

It will make you more comfortable and optimise your position and you probably won't need new bars.

Stem and saddle maybe.
  • javidr
    I think the problem is the shape of the handlebar itself. I had a trek domane and I was quite comfortable there. I have replaced the handlebar of the trek into my Boardman and i feel the difference, that’s why I’m pointing to the handlebar as a culprit
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,203
    Again this goes back to position. What's the difference between the two bars? Longer reach? Shallower drop? Narrower / wider? That will be what is making the difference, not that one is Bontrager and the other Boardman.

Based on the answers you've given to date, I'd definitely save the £120 you've budgeted for the bars and go for a bike fit. Use that to lift some of the fog around the variables, you don't have to exit the fit with a perfect position that works forever, but it should get you close then you can make small adjustments from there.

You may need new components like bars / stem, you may not. But I certainly wouldn't want to be laying down cash on a "better" bar until you understand what makes a bar better for you.
  • javidr
    Ok, I will get that advice ;) thanks
  • webboo
    What Davo says.
    I would also say I could probably get on your bike with the saddle height adjusted for me and ride 40Km with out getting numb hands. This is without knowing what size it is.
    When I go for a ride I will use at least 6 hand positions during the ride.
  • javidr said:

I think the problem is the shape of the handlebar itself. I had a trek domane and I was quite comfortable there. I have replaced the handlebar of the trek into my Boardman and i feel the difference, that’s why I’m pointing to the handlebar as a culprit

If the Trek is still setup for you and feels comfy, you should be able to use it as a reference to adjust the Boardman, or at least see what might have changed such as stem length and/or stack.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo