Tuesday investigating Ark graffiti "tell the Cicadas to shut up"

pinno
pinno Posts: 52,195
edited March 2023 in The bottom bracket
Morning Mountebanks

Yep, it's gloomy grey after yesterdays sun and blue skies.

Not a lot on the cards today, bit of Idi admin, eat etc.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,117
    Work snizzle then a half to run with a pal.

Less pub, shots and meals out today
  • pinno
    edited March 2023
    Sungod abroad... where?
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,252
    Plymouth.

Not much from me today, first physio session at 2 this afternoon and then making pizzas with the kids later.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinno
    Surely not Plymouth.

Isle of Wight?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Morning
    Just started to rain here but fortunately I planned ahead and took the dogs out early. Next will be some stretching followed by doing some cleaning. Hopefully I will get a session on the board later on.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,045
    Alarm went off before 6...then 'enjoyed' a soggy ride into the office. Now on the corporate hamster wheel for a few hours, but on the upside get a free lunch with advisors and we're going for a posh curry :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Soggy ride home then unless you cop out and take the train...

• Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Soggy ride home then unless you cop out and take the train...

Nah, just need a small dose of MTFU and all will be fine.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,675
    pinno said:

Sungod abroad... where?

Cryptic ref to "Balkans" I believe.

Yo, slackers.

Been some busy-ness round these parts of late. Multiple shed-based projects at once, mostly involving furniture and fittings refurbishment. New shelving fabricated for the "home office" (ha!), and a bunch of drawers cleaned up and refinished for use. Lots of minor jobs ticked off my list.

Cleaning out a box of cables, and the intriguing question is *why* do I have so many micro-USB cables, when I don't own anything that uses that type, and why can I not find the micro-HDMI cable that came with my cameras. Clearly, I don't chuck anything out, so WTF is it?

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    What a total CBA day. Yesterday was lovely with warm sunshine, a nice pedal around, chat away with neighbours, do some garden fettling. Today: grey, cold, wet, breezy. Eff it, I have lots I need and want to do outside (and in) but motivation currently = zero.

I think early night, reset, tomorrow belongs to me. (Cue the Sensational Alex Harvey Band)

• pinno
    Shorty's last trial today and she got 1st. Not just 1st but 1st 1st, beating the lead boy who is 12.
    Last week she sprinted fast for the last 70m and I said that if you finished that strong, then perhaps you kept too much in the tank, so maybe increase your pace a little.
    Sure enough, she stayed with the 5 lead boys, 2 of which were younger, smaller and obviously went off too fast and faded quickly. She kept behind the 2 older boys and 2/3rds around lap 1, started going past them.
    Mid way through lap 2, she was way ahead and I thought this is going to go 2 ways: she'll fade or she'll stay ahead and she faded but with 80m and now only a few yards ahead, sprinted and finished in front of her pursuer.

Given how moody and shouty she was beforehand and that we nearly didn't go as a result, you can imagine the mood swing.

Thursday: race proper and slightly more competition.
  • pinno

pinno said:

Sungod abroad... where?

Cryptic ref to "Balkans" I believe.
    Yeahbut; it's the enigmatic sungod innit.

• orraloon
    pinno said:

Shorty's last trial today and she got 1st. Not just 1st but 1st 1st, beating the lead boy who is 12.
    Last week she sprinted fast for the last 70m and I said that if you finished that strong, then perhaps you kept too much in the tank, so maybe increase your pace a little.
    Sure enough, she stayed with the 5 lead boys, 2 of which were younger, smaller and obviously went off too fast and faded quickly. She kept behind the 2 older boys and 2/3rds around lap 1, started going past them.
    Mid way through lap 2, she was way ahead and I thought this is going to go 2 ways: she'll fade or she'll stay ahead and she faded but with 80m and now only a few yards ahead, sprinted and finished in front of her pursuer.

Given how moody and shouty she was beforehand and that we nearly didn't go as a result, you can imagine the mood swing.

Now then, is that in her genes? Or is she just good? 😉 But kudos deserved.
  • pinno
    Both. :smiley:

Good diet, plenty of exercise and she has heaps of determination.
    On her 10th birthday, she did a 10 mile hilly bike ride with me.

• beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,533
    pinno said:

Nice one Shorty!

Wfh for me. Yawn.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,766
    Evening folks,
    Busy day in the orifice, changed brake pads on one of the girl's bike. Disc brakes are such a faff, hadn't dealt with this brand before. Had to take the wheels off to drop them out, pushed the pistons back and new pads in, must have taken all of 5 minutes including leching time. No problems with alignment or rubbing, easy peasy.
    Well done Shorty, looking forward to the race report on Thursday.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,117
    pinno said:

Well done shorty
  • pinno
    edited March 2023
    oxoman said:

Evening All, not alot happening other than quacks is getting concerned over my BP and wants me monitored for 48hrs and possibly referring me to consultant. She was a bit concerned when i told her what excercise / stuff i do routinely. Lets see what happens. Well done Shorty.

Yeah. I had a friend; a squash playing Cantonese racing snake of a bloke.
    He used to run miles and miles.
    Died aged 37 of a heart attack due to furred up arteries. He was susceptible to Cholesterol (and so am I post transplant).
    So fitness doesn't necessarily mean immunity from ailments that one would presume are alleviated fully from exercise.
    But - this Doc of yours is on the case and obviously keen to see what is going on.
    It's not like you've gone beyond a point; it's preventative which is always best.

Good luck.
  • Stevo_666
    No MTFU needed as it didn't rain on the way back. Knackered now though, need food and then sleep.

Congrats Shorty.
  • pinno
    Cheers Guys.

Proud of her. Hopefully get her on two wheels regularly one day. I'm far better equipped to help her cycling than running but I could always ask the resident beer fueled sadist ultra nutter.
    Only thing is, she can do the local 3 mile parkrun's except, she needs to be 12 to do it on her own and I can't run 3 miles even with the springiest shoes.
  • pinno
    oxoman said:

Message to Shorty, get your dad off his lazy backside to run with you. Do it do it.

Ahem... 'lazy Dad' does plenty of pedaling and 'lazy Dad' has had both hips replaced - twice.
    Running is actually painful for me, especially on my left where I had a 2 stage revision.
    I suffered universal AVN and running also affects my lower back. No impact activities for me.

Local running club does not entertain under 12's. However, Shorty has a friend who goes with her mum on these park runs and I know them well enough so I shall ask her kindly if she'll take Shorty with her.
  • pinno
    oxoman said:

pinno said:

oxoman said:

Message to Shorty, get your dad off his lazy backside to run with you. Do it do it.

Ahem... 'lazy Dad' does plenty of pedaling and 'lazy Dad' has had both hips replaced - twice.
    Running is actually painful for me, especially on my left where I had a 2 stage revision.
    I suffered universal AVN and running also affects my lower back. No impact activities for me.

Local running club does not entertain under 12's. However, Shorty has a friend who goes with her mum on these park runs and I know them well enough so I shall ask her kindly if she'll take Shorty with her.
    Humble apologies Mr P. As to local club not taking youngsters I find that surprising and short sighted on their part. Certainly my local parkrun doesn't mind kids running together as long as not on their own without parents as long as well behaved. I'm talking 9/10yr olds here. Certainly something to encourage them to do if they enjoy doing it. TBH I'd forgotten you were bionic.
    Apology accepted.
    I live pretty rurally. Local town is iro only 10,000 people.
    They built a running track and a 4g football pitch through sports Scotland/National lotteries at the local secondary school and it is very good.
    However, sport (apart from Football) is really low on the agenda but this latest push (x country) is a new thing and I have noticed a big emphasis on the park runs.

• homers_double
    edited March 2023
    Is there not a junior Park Run set up? There is one fairly local to us - but not our closest.
    You can apply to do these things apparently, IIRC our local (Watergrove) was set up by a lady in my old jogging club.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinno

Is there not a junior Park Run set up? There is one fairly local to us - but not our closest.
    You can apply to do these things apparently, IIRC our local (Watergrove) was set up by a lady in my old jogging club.

Not sure which part of rural I can't get across.
    Nearest bigger town (55k) is 58 miles away.

Watergrove (Oldham?) is within x miles of thousands and thousands and thousands of people. Oldham alone is 240,000 people and the Manchester megalopolis...
  • Stevo_666
    oxoman said:

Pinno your rural sounds like my idea of heaven and hell for the OH.

Pinno is in proper Banjo Country, not just a bit village-y like my new place :)
  • orraloon
    Stevo_666 said:

oxoman said:

More like Bodhrán Country, being (too) close to Nurn Ironed.
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon said:

Stevo_666 said:

oxoman said:

So they're a bit strange out West then?
  • pinno
    oxoman said:

Fantastic quiet roads for cycling. Why run?! :smile:
  • pinno
    orraloon said:

Stevo_666 said:

oxoman said:

Well there are those who refer to the 'Galloway Irish'. There's a long history in that one.
  • homers_double
    pinno said:

Not sure which part of rural I can't get across.
    Nearest bigger town (55k) is 58 miles away.

Watergrove (Oldham?) is within x miles of thousands and thousands and thousands of people. Oldham alone is 240,000 people and the Manchester megalopolis...
    Are you porch and shotgun rural?

Watergrove is in Wardle but randomly (as do I) has an Oldham post code.

Point taken...
    Advocate of disc brakes.